Selling Puerto Rico to Crypto Bros

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
vomitHatSteve

Selling Puerto Rico to Crypto Bros

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So I wrote a song snarking about the general relationship between mainland US and Puerto Rico, but then I realized that I don't actually know anything about how life actually is for folks from PR. So I asked a friend in a PR-based punk band to collaborate on a track with me.

He did the Spanish verse, lead guitars, and some rhythms; and brought in his drummer. (So a Regdar song with live drums for once!)

As always, please tell me things to fix!

Mix 4
SellingPuertoRicoToCryptoBros4.mp3
Unmastered
https://test.regdarandthefighters.com/t ... aster.flac

Mix 3
SellingPuertoRicoToCryptoBros.mp3
Mix 2
SellingPuertoRicoToCryptoBros3.mp3
Mix 1
SellingPuertoRicoToCryptoBros.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vomitHatSteve on Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
rayc

Re: Selling Puerto Rico to Crypto Bros

Post by rayc »

Cool song, excellent perspective.
The Spanish verses sound a little out of tune.
The drums might come up a little if they're good.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Funnily enough, I’m writing a song with some Spanish in it currently. I’ll have a listen later.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Cool!, love that synth sound at 00:43, cool attitude on the Spanish vocalist. Really like that "buy , slash, burn , sell, rinse , repeat" part
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Sounds fun! The first couple of lines with the Spanish sound fine. It’s a little out of tune after that. Maybe can comp the take.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Thanks, folks! New mix in the OP with boosted drums and some other tweaks he asked for.

He's definitely got a much more traditional punk vocal delivery than me. Unfortunately, he only sent me one take of the vocal part, so it is what it is.

Edit: two new mixes. The second one just fixes a drum programming bug that I've had for years and brings the version numbers posted here to parity with the ones I'm sending to Gabe.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Went straight to mix 3.

It's weird - on ear buds I'm getting the same pumping sound as on the last one. The last time, it went away when I listed on monitors.

Was the out of tune bend in the intro intentional? Sounded like it fell just short of coming up to pitch.

I listen later on monitors.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

There is compression on the mp3 mix, so it might pump a little. I also have some of the guitars ducking each other

I don't know what the goal was with the tune bend at the start. It did feel a little out of place, so I added the glitchiness to make it more egregious
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Coming in on Mix 3:

Your vocals get buried after your Espanol bro's verse under all the non palm muted guitars and strings and stuff ~@1:16 it sorts itself out again once the palm muting starts up again.

Kool song man. I liked it with real drums. has a distinct Rancid vibe in some spots really liked it.

If i were to be so bold as to offer up some creative pointers it might sound kind of cool to go a little harder on that Am radio sound on your buddys first bit of singing in the song. ~@0:50

Other than that i got nothing.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Three is cool.
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Listening on monitors. I don't hear pumping. I only get it on ear buds.

I like the bone dry vocal stuff. Pitchy, but cool.

The lead vocal might want to come up in spots. The guitars are covering it slightly.

Like the trashy guitar sound.

The mix gets a little cluttered in the last burst near/at the end.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:09 pm
Your vocals get buried after your Espanol bro's verse under all the non palm muted guitars and strings and stuff ~@1:16 it sorts itself out again once the palm muting starts up again.
You mean his vocals? Or my "guys like me can't fail" callback? Or do you mean all the vocals after that?

First mix has some distortion to really emphasize the AM effect on his first stanza, but he didn't like it.
triplem wrote: The mix gets a little cluttered in the last burst near/at the end.
Yeah, that's how my mixes tend to go. I'll see if I can figure out some more separation. But it is my guitar, his rhythms, I think 2 leads, 3 part vocal harmony, synths, and the "repeat" chant. It's probably gonna stay a little messy!

Thanks, folks!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:38 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:09 pm
Your vocals get buried after your Espanol bro's verse under all the non palm muted guitars and strings and stuff ~@1:16.

it sorts itself out again once the palm muting starts up again.
You mean his vocals? Or my "guys like me can't fail" callback? Or do you mean all the vocals after that?

First mix has some distortion to really emphasize the AM effect on his first stanza, but he didn't like it.
I fixed my quote there. I missed some key English fundamentals.

when you come in @1:16ish are the problem areas where i feel like you are getting buried. When the palm muting starts up again thing seem to smooth themselves out.

And yea i am just now hearing at around the same time stamp there are some callbacks sitting under your espanol homey that are unintelligible. Audible. But i can't make out what is being said. So if those are in Spanish as well that stands to reason.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:47 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:38 am

I fixed my quote there. I missed some key English fundamentals.

when you come in @1:16ish are the problem areas where i feel like you are getting buried. When the palm muting starts up again thing seem to smooth themselves out.

And yea i am just now hearing at around the same time stamp there are some callbacks sitting under your espanol homey that are unintelligible. Audible. But i can't make out what is being said. So if those are in Spanish as well that stands to reason.
Ok. That particular lyric I'm not super worried about. It's the same before all the choruses (and run through a phaser), so it doesn't need to be clear each time; but I'll double check the rest of the lyrics.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

4th mix is in the OP. Changes are pretty subtle. At this point, if Gaby is happy and barring any major things y'all point out, I'm probably sticking a fork in it
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm coming straight in at Mix 4.
First thing that comes to mind is the hi-hat is very hissy.
Despite the pitchiness of the Español the delivery is cool.
I don't know what control you have over the drum mix - can you get more kick?

This does have a suitably wild punky sound to it though.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, I can get some more kick in there.

I'll glance at the OH EQ again to see about the hissy hats.
I always tend to start with EQing the drums then stacking everything else on top, so I can see how it sounding good solo'd doesn't quite translate
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Cool tune.

No real nits from me.

Sounds like Cheap Trick did a circuit bent punk tune with a Spanish singer.

Good stuff.