Rare Marshall Plexi - what do you think?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bubba

Rare Marshall Plexi - what do you think?

Post by Bubba »

At this price, I'll take two! :lollers:
Marshall.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Re: Rare Marshall Plexi - what do you think?

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. Those are P.A. Speakers. Post the rest of the pics.

The price is ridiculous, but if it is some oddball head he might not be that far off on the price. Marshall did some weird stuff back in those days and some collector might want it.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:12 am Lol. Those are P.A. Speakers. Post the rest of the pics.

The price is ridiculous, but if it is some oddball head he might not be that far off on the price. Marshall did some weird stuff back in those days and some collector might want it.
For your viewing pleasure. :minernuggs:
M5.jpg
M4.jpg
M3.jpg
M2.jpg
M1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol well that isn't a PA head. Nor is it a "Plexi". It looks to me like a regular ol 70s metal panel 50w JMP. The added-later PA sticker covers the year code. The S/A means 50 watt. If it's a 71 I think it should have a "C" at the end of the serial number.

It might be something quirky and unique internally. I don't know. But it looks like a run-of-the-mill 70s 50w JMP Marshall head. Awesome amp, but there's nothing particularly collectible about it if that's what it is.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

On closer look, that last blurry serial number might be a C, so that would make it a 71. I don't think they made over 10,000 50w heads, so I bet that's a C.

So that would be 50w #2418 C - 1971

So if it's a 71, that would make it pre-73 which means handwired on a turret board, so that is pretty desirable.

Not 7000 british pounds desirable though. Not even with those goofy useless PA speaker columns.
Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

If I was selling a £7,000 amp, I'd take some in focus pictures.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

jonny deep wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 am If I was selling a £7,000 amp, I'd take some in focus pictures.
Maybe his camera is from 1971 too.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am Lol well that isn't a PA head. Nor is it a "Plexi". It looks to me like a regular ol 70s metal panel 50w JMP. The added-later PA sticker covers the year code. The S/A means 50 watt. If it's a 71 I think it should have a "C" at the end of the serial number.

It might be something quirky and unique internally. I don't know. But it looks like a run-of-the-mill 70s 50w JMP Marshall head. Awesome amp, but there's nothing particularly collectible about it if that's what it is.
Agreed. My gut feeling is that this little setup came out of some little Working Men's Social Club where they used it for calling the bingo numbers. :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 am

Agreed. My gut feeling is that this little setup came out of some little Working Men's Social Club where they used it for calling the bingo numbers. :biggrin:
That might very well be true.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 am
Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am Lol well that isn't a PA head. Nor is it a "Plexi". It looks to me like a regular ol 70s metal panel 50w JMP. The added-later PA sticker covers the year code. The S/A means 50 watt. If it's a 71 I think it should have a "C" at the end of the serial number.

:lollers:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

that had to be one shitty sounding PA!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:58 am that had to be one shitty sounding PA!
Working mens club = shitty PA. I know I have played in hundreds of them. We always took our own....