Line Selector

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
HatfieldCreek

Line Selector

Post by HatfieldCreek »

I had a second hand LS-2 (2000 era) given to me a couple years ago, had been using it as an instrument selector at the start of my chain up until a few days ago. Decided to play around with pedal order, and use it to send out to a couple different delays (DM-2 on channel A, memory lane jr on channel B) turns out the sends are completely dead. I've got a few aby's kicking around, but nothing I'm happy with. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something that would serve this purpose. Ideally it would be something where I could keep a "clean" signal going through, and add in the delays with the hit of a button. If not just being able to switch between the delays (and have them run in series at times) would work. I could just fix this pedal, but I've ripped apart and rebuilt enough boss pedals for a few lifetimes already.
liv_rong

Re: Line Selector

Post by liv_rong »

It sounds like your looking for a loop switcher. It's basically like an effects loop in a true bypass pedal that allows you to select which sends/returns to use. There are a ton out there if you look. I have one that's just 1 channel but I haven't found a use for it yet. A lot of people use them if they have a buffered pedal hat they like but they don't want it in the signal path all the time. Also great for live playing so you can have one or more pedals in a loop that are always on but not in the signal chain until you select it thus eliminating tap dancing.
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 pm It sounds like your looking for a loop switcher. It's basically like an effects loop in a true bypass pedal that allows you to select which sends/returns to use. There are a ton out there if you look. I have one that's just 1 channel but I haven't found a use for it yet. A lot of people use them if they have a buffered pedal hat they like but they don't want it in the signal path all the time. Also great for live playing so you can have one or more pedals in a loop that are always on but not in the signal chain until you select it thus eliminating tap dancing.
Yeah, I've been looking into making one myself for a while now, just not a huge fan of how big I'd need it, as I'd been looking at a 10 loop, and with my feet, I'd need a custom case to have the switches far enough apart that I wouldn't hit multiple at the same time (the boss es-8 I tried was way too close). At this point it's looking like I'm going to have to go that route though, and since it's time for a new pedalboard, I might as well just plan for something that size on it.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Wow that's a lot! What kind of set up do you have now? Are you playing out a lot? There are ones out there that you can program too, which is crazy.
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

I'm mostly recording at the moment, as well as working front of house for a few local acts. I've got a few things in the works, but nothing stage ready yet. My setup isn't too crazy either, compared to what I used to run anyway. My pedalboard in 2009 was bigger than I am lol. The reason for the ten loops is mainly because I'm not planning on running my gain stage on a single loop. I've got 4 drives, a booster, and 2 (maybe 3 by the time it's done) fuzz pedals. As well as a bunch of modulation, delay, and weird one off pedals. Biggest reason to run the gain staging on separate loops is the fact that I'm running a few vintage pedals, that don't play well with others I'd like to have on the same board.
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

On that note, anyone have any suggestion on good cabling that isn't going to cost more than half my pedals put together? I was looking on lava cables' site, and the cheapest option that would work is over $600.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wish I could help, but all of this is way above my pay grade. I can't even wrap my head around what you're trying to do.
Rebel Yell
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 am Wish I could help, but all of this is way above my pay grade. I can't even wrap my head around what you're trying to do.
No worries, what I'm trying to do is pretty out there (at least I've taken the midi sequencer and pedalboard vocoder out of the mix).