Sim/Amp Question...

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rammer24

Sim/Amp Question...

Post by rammer24 »

OK, just thinking out loud here. I also know the answer is the same answer to most "Will this work?" questions: "Try it and see". I will. But I can't right now. So, in the mean time, I'm wondering if there's an obvious "No, it won't work because...." type of answer.

OK, so as I've mentioned a million times, my amp is a "modelling amp", which, to me, just makes it a glorified sim with a speaker.

So, I wonder if it would work if I used a sim like Guitar Rig or Amplitube to get my distortion, and then sent that out to my amp with a clean setting and mic that. Like I said, since my amp is just really "simming" sounds, maybe I can send it some outboard sim sounds and put it through the speaker to mic.

Anyone ever tried anything so stupid? Did it work?
liv_rong

Re: Sim/Amp Question...

Post by liv_rong »

Sounds like backwards re-amping lol. Im sure it would work, but I think youd bneed to send the correct level to the amp, meaning not line level, maybe youd need a re-amp box that coverts it for you. I dont know all that kind of nerd stuff though because Ive never needed to do that. Im sure what you are describing has been done before.

Are you talking about that Fender amp that was discussed in that other thread? That's your only amp?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I already use a re-amp box. I'm always re-amping, so I'm set up to do it. But you're right. I would probably need to adjust the level of the distorted sound coming out of my DAW, because it's not the same as the raw guitar signal I usually send to my re-amp box.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I run my modeler into amps frequently ..... turn off speaker sims usually .... also, most modelers (don't know about sims) have settings for running into the front of an amp or a different one for running into fullrange sources lika a PA. If it has that, set it for amp of course.

Then you'll want to set the amp for clean.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Cool, thanx for the help. Nice to know someone is doing it.

Ok, so it's doable and worth a try. Might be a great thing.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If you can get the level down close to instrument level, this might work pretty good. It could be like a weirdo version of the old days when guys used processors into power amps.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Since I don't have a good guitar sim, I just downloaded a free one. Doesn't sound great. But at least I was able to compare how different the sound coming out of my amp is to the sound of the sim coming out of my monitors. It's pretty much the same sound.

Now, I just have to record and compare. For me, since the sound is pretty much the same, the question is whether the speaker/air/mic makes enough of a difference to do it. Also, I noticed different clean sounds on the amp obviously affect the final sound. So, maybe that will actually give me a choice of flavors to choose from, almost like different speakers.

Stay tuned. I can't record anything until a little later.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I just realized I had a brain fart in my post above. I was looking at is as though I have to compare the sound of the sim coming through my monitors with the sound of the sim mic'd. That's got nothing to do with anything. What Ihave to compare is the sound of the sim coming through my amp with the sound of my amp using its' own sounds.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

All you really have to compare is how it sounds compared to how you want it to sound!
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

True.

And I just realized I had another semi-brain fart. It does me no good to download a shitty free amp sim. If it's shitty, it's shitty. I have to find a trial version of something considered good, like Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

I'm sort of figuring this out as I talk about it. I didn't really think it through.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Make sure you don't "double cab". If the sim has cab/speaker emulation, turn it off so the only cab/speaker is your physical cab/speaker.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:01 pm Make sure you don't "double cab". If the sim has cab/speaker emulation, turn it off so the only cab/speaker is your physical cab/speaker.
OK thanx. I wasn't sure about that. I didn't know if the "speaker" in amp sims is treated like a real speaker, or if it's just considered part of the patch/sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 pm

OK thanx. I wasn't sure about that. I didn't know if the "speaker" in amp sims is treated like a real speaker, or if it's just considered part of the patch/sound.
I learned about this the hard way while trying out my JVM's emulated line out...which sucks by the way. Anyway, at the time I didn't know the JVM's line out is also cab simulated, so I ran the direct out into my interface and then loaded up a cab impulse. It was super bassy and woofy. Well, it's because I had "double cab'd" it. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That's good to know. As long as nothing exploded, there's nothing wrong with learning something that way. :D

I just remembered that I have the WAVES GTR 3. I bought a mini bundle off them about a year ago, tried some of the guitar sounds, and never used it again, and forgot about it. Might be worth trying to find one semi decent distorted sound to play around with.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I think it will absolutely work, but going to echo greg on not doubling up the cab sim. If the waves plugin has the ability to bypass it's cab sim you should be in the clear.

not sure if you have tried these yet or not rami but they seem to be pretty decent. Free. And pretty versatile. I've tried them and i have no real complaints and if i recall, they either have no cab sim or have bypass for sure.

I stand to be corrected.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Those Pepe LePou sims seem to be pretty popular with sim guys. They get good reviews. I've never tried them myself.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Shit Rami, I just downloaded those LePoop sims. The Marshall one is pretty bad ass! It needs a cab sim though....it seems. I just played with it for a few minutes with some cab impulses and I thought it sounded pretty good. I didn't see a cab option in the plug itself, so it might be just right for you.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Really? Cool, man. Can you give me the link? I'm trying to find come cab sims too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 pm Really? Cool, man. Can you give me the link? I'm trying to find come cab sims too.
It's in WhiskeyJackoff's post. It's the blue word. :coolstorybro:

I've got a shit-ton of Marshall 4x12 Greenback cab impulses with different mics at different spots I can give you.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:04 pm
rammer24 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 pm Really? Cool, man. Can you give me the link? I'm trying to find come cab sims too.
It's in WhiskeyJackoff's post. It's the blue word. :coolstorybro:

I've got a shit-ton of Marshall 4x12 Greenback cab impulses with different mics at different spots I can give you.
If you were cool you'd kick some of them my way too.

"IF" you were cool.
:happytrees: