Hanging guitars on a wall

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Hanging guitars on a wall

Post by Armistice »

I notice via FB feeds that lots of people seem to hang their guitars on a wall, and that's the way they deal with them in guitar shops, obviously.

I don't because (a) wall space (b) exposure to the elements would possible more rapidly degrade strings - it gets humid here (c) continual exposure to large daily shifts in temperature possibly not good (d) I don't want my apartment to look like a recording studio.

But does it actually harm the guitars? I don't really know, I'll admit. All mine are in their cases in a wardrobe - for reasons of space if nothing else.

What say you?
liv_rong

Re: Hanging guitars on a wall

Post by liv_rong »

I like to keep mine in their cases. I will keep one out for a day or three but they end up put away eventually. It's play them less when they are all away but then I'll end up playing drums more so it all kind of evens on to for me.
muttley

Post by muttley »

I dont have enough wall space....:)

Seriuously though, it is unlikely you will do any harm as long as you manage the environment like you should anyway... If you house suffers from damp so will your guitars, if you house suffers from dry rot or excessive dust, so will your guitars. Golden rule is wood dont like swift changes in moisture content so its rapid changes in humidity you need to avoid avoid. I keep all mine in case except for a few that I have in a rack in my office.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I like to have a selection in my living room on a three-way stand. My Jag and my strat are not currently being gigged, so they're in cases. My Tele doesn't have a case so it's hanging on the stand for general use. Gobshite and Son of Gobshite will be in cases for tomorrows gig but Son of Gobshite is currently on display.. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Cases - kids, cats, mostly.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Every guitar is hanging on the wall. :)
My feeling was that if they can hang $10k guitars on walls for years and years...then there's no problem.

If I kept them in cases...I couldn't have them all in the studio. There atoo many and they would be all over the place pilling up. As it is now, all my cases are stashed in closets and under beds and what not.
Also...if it was just 2-3 guitars then OK...but with a lot of guitars, if I had them all in cases, I would probably avoid taking them all out.
This way...I just walk over to the wall and grab whatever I want.

Usually when I'm recording, I'll take down 2-3 guitars and they'll be on stands, that way once I tune them, they well settle in on the stands, and be easy to grab with one hand...because on the wall, they are closely packed, so you gotta use two hands to take one down safely/cleanly.
My studio probablyhas the most consistent climate out of any other rooms in the house...so they are fine in that room.

And of course...they just look fucking great all displayed on the wall...I can enjoy them even when I am not playing them. :chillin
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have a guitar and a bass on a stand downstairs as the grab gear and because neither has a case. That works for me because If I have an idea I don't have to spend time sorting out which guitar to get and then grabbing the case etc. Upstairs is a wife annoying guitar on a stand. It doesn't have a case either and I use it to work on ideas while watching TV or reading etc. The semi acoustic is reasonably quiet but still annoys Kim.
I don't hang any on walls because in my studio/room I've taken up wall space with posters and uneven surfaces to break up standing waves etc.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mine stay in cases most of the time unless I'm using one. When I'm using one it stays on a stand until I'm done with it. No guitars on walls for me.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

At home mine hang on the wall. But when I'm at home I'm using most of them daily - they also look nice. When I'm away they're in cases but that's cos I don't have wall hangers in my rental place. It's just convenient to grab one off the wall and play it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I keep mine in the cases although I usually have one or two out on stands where they sit for a year or two
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My main guitar is actually currently in its case next to my desk.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Mine are in cases. I rotate which acoustic sits on a stand next to my recliner in the living room for pickin' along with commercials and jingles and shit, and roughing out ideas. I gotta get back to the electrics. It's a different world. I'm thinking about hanging some around the back room where my music stuff lives, but I dunno, seams a little cheesy somehow? Not much of my stuff is that exciting to view.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Man! Mine are all on floor stands scattered throughout the house! I also play almost exclusively very cheap instruments.
Rob Aylestone

Post by Rob Aylestone »

Damaged far more being leaned against a wall than hanging up. Did bend a tuner on a tele though - left it hanging on a too big wall mount, that I didn't notice was hanging the guitar on the peg! After a couple of years, it had a bend in it!
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

I've done it for years with no noticeable deleterious effects.. I think. Everything seems fine.

I have a few walls like this, pictured is my(Paul Wall)
Paul Wall.jpg
Fucking sideways picture. Sorry bout your neck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice. Are those guitars huge or are those amps tiny?
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

"Rotate 90° clockwise"...it's in the photo editor....:)