Tutorial Video - Changing Humbuckers

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Tutorial Video - Changing Humbuckers

Post by JD01 »

Gents,

I'm gonna have a search through YouTube myself but if you know of any good tutorial videos for swapping out a humbucker, particularly one with a coil split on a push pull tone pot, that would be handy.

I'll probably be fine - I'm not a total retard when it comes to DIY stuff like this - I'd just like as much knowledge as possible before I make any changes to this guitar.

Also, I'm gonna be connecting a humbucker on another guitar (my Indian strat) directly to the output jack - no vol/tone/5 way selector. I'm sure I'll need to stick come capacitors in somewhere, but I've no idea where.
Greg_L

Re: Tutorial Video - Changing Humbuckers

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 am Gents,

I'm gonna have a search through YouTube myself but if you know of any good tutorial videos for swapping out a humbucker, particularly one with a coil split on a push pull tone pot, that would be handy.

I'll probably be fine - I'm not a total retard when it comes to DIY stuff like this - I'd just like as much knowledge as possible before I make any changes to this guitar.

Also, I'm gonna be connecting a humbucker on another guitar (my Indian strat) directly to the output jack - no vol/tone/5 way selector. I'm sure I'll need to stick come capacitors in somewhere, but I've no idea where.
There's really nothing to it. Jut de-solder the original wires from the pots and remove the pickup with a screwdriver. Install the new pickup and solder the wires to the same spots on the pots as the original wires. Make sure the screw pole pieces are oriented toward the bridge and adjust the height to taste.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I figured it would be that simple. I just know how I'll be able to tell the wires apart unless there's some industry standard colour coding.

Just watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNUIn_UaqyA
Which seems to be based on my old telecaster design... which I based the design of the electronics in my custom on.
muttley

Post by muttley »

There is no industry standard for wire colours. If you are talking about the one I will be doing I will send a note with it. I try to follow the colours that the original PAFS used. It is not hard to work out which coil is which with a multimetre. If its another pup let me know and my notes could well have the answers you need.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:58 am There is no industry standard for wire colours. If you are talking about the one I will be doing I will send a note with it. I try to follow the colours that the original PAFS used. It is not hard to work out which coil is which with a multimetre. If its another pup let me know and my notes could well have the answers you need.
Cheers, just a quick note saying which wire goes where would be great. I'm sure it will be obvious once I open it up and see how its all together - I'm probably just being a bit paranoid.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:53 am Yeah, I figured it would be that simple. I just know how I'll be able to tell the wires apart unless there's some industry standard colour coding.

Just watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNUIn_UaqyA
Which seems to be based on my old telecaster design... which I based the design of the electronics in my custom on.
Just pop your control cavity cover off and have a look. However yours is currently done, wire the new one the same way.

There isn't an "industry standard" color coding, but there sort of is. Usually, not always, but usually it's something like:
Red - hot coil start
Black/bare - ground
Green/White twisted together - north/south finish, split the coils.

I think SDs are red/white for the coil split. I don't know why pickup makers would use different colors, but some do. All you have to do is look. Whichever wires are going to the push/pull terminal are your coil split wires. These wires usually come twisted together. Whatever colors they are, those will be your coil split wires. If Mutt is making your new pickup, he can tell you what is what.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's a good idea actually, I'll pop the cover off, take a look and send a pic to Mutt :)