Lawyers Guns and Money....

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rammer24

Lawyers Guns and Money....

Post by rammer24 »

Here's a Warren Zevon cover I did in the last few days. A bit heavier than the original, I think.

https://bandzoogle.com/tracks/46904/205 ... 59995.html
rammer24

Re: Lawyers Guns and Money....

Post by rammer24 »

We've really got to find a way to make links open in a new page.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Good job! That song takes me back to my high school daze.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Goddamn that was badass. Don't know the original but I'm sure you did it better. No nits from me. Sounded awesome.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx guys. :cool:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Rami, just listening to this - Its just as good as the original... well the quality of the recording is a fair bit better.

Can we have Boom! Boom! Mancini next? Followed by Excitable Boy. (I think I'm the only person in the UK that likes Warren Zevon)
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote:Rami, just listening to this - Its just as good as the original... well the quality of the recording is a fair bit better.

Can we have Boom! Boom! Mancini next? Followed by Excitable Boy. (I think I'm the only person in the UK that likes Warren Zevon)
Thanx JD. I'm not familiar with most of his stuff. I know "Excitable Boy", which I don't really like, and "Warewolves of London" which is ok, but Kid Rock ripped off the sample for his summer song. I just happened to always like this tune because I always found it cool and different. It doesn't have a chorus, and it's generally different than most stuff that was playing on FM radio at the time.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Hi Ya - you're owning this one (as Greg said in another thread :) ) Haven't heard this tune before, but was surprised it was Zevon as all I know is the werewolves song. It's nice and tight and mixed good - no nits that I can find. I did notice while listening that the cymbals had nice ring - clear sound, not brittle and the sustain was the perfect length. Just something that came to mind when listening - I ain't no drummer but I do know what I like :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

ido1957 wrote:Hi Ya - you're owning this one (as Greg said in another thread :) ) Haven't heard this tune before, but was surprised it was Zevon as all I know is the werewolves song. It's nice and tight and mixed good - no nits that I can find. I did notice while listening that the cymbals had nice ring - clear sound, not brittle and the sustain was the perfect length. Just something that came to mind when listening - I ain't no drummer but I do know what I like :)
Thanx Ido. That's what real cymbals sound like. :) I'm actually glad you said that, because I'm half deaf in my left ear and have lost a lot of high end in both ears. So, I often have to reverse the left and right side while listening just to make sure there's a cymbal on the left.

As far as Warren Zevon, I'm not really a fan. I like this tune and one or two more, but not a fan of most of his stuff that I've heard. He's one of those artists that people started calling a genius just because he was dying of cancer or whatever. I always say that, sometimes, the best thing you can do for your career is die. :D
Last edited by rammer24 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote:
ido1957 wrote:Hi Ya - you're owning this one (as Greg said in another thread :) ) Haven't heard this tune before, but was surprised it was Zevon as all I know is the werewolves song. It's nice and tight and mixed good - no nits that I can find. I did notice while listening that the cymbals had nice ring - clear sound, not brittle and the sustain was the perfect length. Just something that came to mind when listening - I ain't no drummer but I do know what I like :)
Thanx Ido. That's what real cymbals sound like. :) I'm actually glad you said that, because I'm half deaf in my left ear and have lost a lot of high end in both ears. So, I often have to reverse the left and right side while listening just to make sure there's a cymbal on the left.

As far as Warren Zevon, I'm not really a fan. I like this tune and one or two more, but not a fan of most of his stuff that I've heard. He's one of those artists that people started calling a genius just because he was dying of cancer or whatever. I always say that sometimes, the best thing you can do for your career is die.
Yeah, he was definitely one of them people who was held in much higher regard when dying and dead. I don't normally like that style of music but the way he does it usually had a real no bullshit honesty to it which I quite like. I was also a fan of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini which is the first Warren Zevon song I ever heard.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote:
rammer24 wrote:I was also a fan of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini which is the first Warren Zevon song I ever heard.
I'll give that listen in a few minutes. I don't think I know it. Is it about the boxer?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote:
JD01 wrote:
I'll give that listen in a few minutes. I don't think I know it. Is it about the boxer?
Yeah, that's how I first heard it. I was reading about Boom Boom and the article mentioned the song. I'd never heard of zevon before
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

rammer24 wrote:We've really got to find a way to make links open in a new page.
One of my favorite Zevon tunes. :)

Great job!

Oh...I don't know about this BBS...but it's pretty easy to make links open to a new page with HTML.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote:
rammer24 wrote:We've really got to find a way to make links open in a new page.
One of my favorite Zevon tunes. :)

Great job!

Oh...I don't know about this BBS...but it's pretty easy to make links open to a new page with HTML.
Thanx Miro. :)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yep, I remember this one - one of my favourite Zevon tunes as well - he was a great songwriter but some of it was a bit kitsch for me, but this one ain't.

Excellent version, and yes, it rocks harder than the original, no problems there. :D

Nice work!

In terms of the new window thing, I'm just remembering to right click instead of left click for the mo - hopefully Shan will find a way to embed that in the code.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx a lot Armi. Don't know what possessed me to cover this one. I feel the same way about him as you. Good songwriter, but don't like all his tunes. This one's cool.

Yeah, right click is the way to go for now.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm not a great fan of WZ. I prefer his rockier tracks and the final taxi type thing.
This is a romper stomper Rami.
No nits or commentary - loved it.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

rayc wrote:I'm not a great fan of WZ. I prefer his rockier tracks and the final taxi type thing.
This is a romper stomper Rami.
No nits or commentary - loved it.
Thanx Ray. :cool:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Great stuff, Rami. How do you get the kick to punch so well? Very nice.
Haggard Musician :mad:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 am Great stuff, Rami. How do you get the kick to punch so well? Very nice.
Thanx Bub.

I love my bass drum. It's a 22" X 18 (so it's deeper than most 22" bass drums), and my kit is made of fibreglass. I don't know if any of that has anything to do with getting a good kik sound, but I've always liked the sound of my bass drum, live and recorded. I use an AKG D-112 which I put almost all the way inside my bass drum, about 3 inches from the batter head.