Pickup Choice

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Pickup Choice

Post by JD01 »

Since I got the PRS I've been considering a pickup swap in the Custom.

Basically I want something that is more articulate than the JB and not so muddy in the low mids.

I was down at Crimson this morning having a bit of work done on my Custom and discussing pickup choices for the bridge position.

They suggested the guy who supplies all of their pickups - House Of Tone Pickups - so I gave him a ring and had a chat with him about it.

Explained what I want and that I'm not a hi-gain modern metalhead - which I think he kind of assumed when I said I had a JB. He suggested he could custom wind me a pickup to about 10.5k (hot but not that hot) with an AlNiCo V magnet.

Anyone got any any experience with them? Anyone got any other bright ideas?
Greg_L

Re: Pickup Choice

Post by Greg_L »

How the fuck did you end up with a JB anyway? Surely I must have tried to steer you away from that thing, right?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:55 am How the fuck did you end up with a JB anyway? Surely I must have tried to steer you away from that thing, right?
OK... I'm about to fall on my sword massively here...
http://www.kurtsequipment.com/
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Oh dear.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 am Since I got the PRS I've been considering a pickup swap in the Custom.

Basically I want something that is more articulate than the JB and not so muddy in the low mids.

I was down at Crimson this morning having a bit of work done on my Custom and discussing pickup choices for the bridge position.

They suggested the guy who supplies all of their pickups - House Of Tone Pickups - so I gave him a ring and had a chat with him about it.

Explained what I want and that I'm not a hi-gain modern metalhead - which I think he kind of assumed when I said I had a JB. He suggested he could custom wind me a pickup to about 10.5k (hot but not that hot) with an AlNiCo V magnet.

Yeh,

Let me do it...;)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:06 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 am Since I got the PRS I've been considering a pickup swap in the Custom.

Yeh,

Let me do it...;)
What you got in mind, Mutt? and do you know anything about HOT?

One thing I would be interested in in future is a bridge version of the B90 but I want to get more used to P90s first - and pickup swapping on that will probably come after I have had it sprayed and changed the shape of the headstock.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Seriously, hang fire for a day or so. I'm about to offer hand wound pickups to all here that want them at cost for a short while in exchange for a few sound clips and reviews. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning it but gerg is already on board for one of them... They would easily match what is out there and you get to deal with some one you know (sort of).

Whiskey J contacted me and told me it would be OK to post up a few details and I've been discussing it with him. Shortly he will be giving me a little dedicated space here to keep me from messing up the place and to allow discussion and spec's to be sorted...

You're call though but what you got to lose but the cost of a few takeaways..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 pm

One thing I would be interested in in future is a bridge version of the B90 but I want to get more used to P90s first - and pickup swapping on that will probably come after I have had it sprayed and changed the shape of the headstock.
FYI, you can't just swap any pickups into a P90 body cavity. It has to be another P90, or something P90 sized. A mini-humbucker would work. A standard humbucker or regular single coil will not fit.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning it but gerg is already on board for one of them...
Of course I don't mind. I've been wanting to blab about it since you agreed to do it! Lol. I didn't know if it was okay to talk about it yet. :happytrees:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Yeh,

Let me do it...;)

I can put together pretty much anything you want. I'm away from my workshop at th minute and typing on my phone so will contact you in a bit... Hot is simple. More wire, more scatter, more magnet. It all depends how hot and how muddy, it's a trade off mostly, and it also depends on what you are going to be playing it through..

Did Crimson agree to do the spray job?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm
muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning it but gerg is already on board for one of them...
Of course I don't mind. I've been wanting to blab about it since you agreed to do it! Lol. I didn't know if it was okay to talk about it yet. :happytrees:
I'm waiting on the nickle baseplates to arrive, I only have brass to hand. They should have been here today but post has been. Tomorrow hopefully.

I'll speak to WhiskJ and see if he can sort out a little sub forum as he suggested then we can move it there...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 pm

FYI, you can't just swap any pickups into a P90 body cavity. It has to be another P90, or something P90 sized. A mini-humbucker would work. A standard humbucker or regular single coil will not fit.
Yeah - If I change the pickup it will be replacing one P90 with another P90 - I just want to get used to using a P90 for a while longer first.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 pm

I can put together pretty much anything you want. I'm away from my workshop at th minute and typing on my phone so will contact you in a bit... Hot is simple. More wire, more scatter, more magnet. It all depends how hot and how muddy, it's a trade off mostly, and it also depends on what you are going to be playing it through..

Did Crimson agree to do the spray job?
Cheers, I wasn't planning on ordering until the end of next week (payday) anyway. The guy from House of Tone was gonna send me a spec and a quote over the next couple of days.

I did speak to them about the spray job - but they said the same as you. Expensive PITA and that I'm better off just going to a car body-shop - I had it with me too so I'd have just left if there if it wasn't too expensive.

Once I've got more used to the guitar and recorded some keeper tracks with it, I'll strip of all the hardware, sand the neck back, oil it and wax it, re-shape the headstock then take it to a bodyshop. Its actually quite interesting having a guitar which I think sounds/feels nice but is ugly and not worth much.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Why are you having your custom sprayed, JD? I thought you loved the look of that thing? And isn't a Crimson Custom worth a few bob?
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:40 pm Why are you having your custom sprayed, JD?
LOL - "Its actually quite interesting having a guitar which I think sounds/feels nice but is ugly and not worth much"

I'm not talking about my Custom! Its beautiful. Its the PRS - its pretty simple, pretty much worthless but not a bad guitar so it will be fun to mess about with.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 pm
Once I've got more used to the guitar and recorded some keeper tracks with it, I'll strip of all the hardware, sand the neck back, oil it and wax it, re-shape the headstock then take it to a bodyshop. Its actually quite interesting having a guitar which I think sounds/feels nice but is ugly and not worth much.
If you are not in a hurry, we can talk more about. I maybe able to help you out with it if you twist my arm. As I said to you earlier, time is the problem right now and what you want done is labour intensive. If we can find a body shop near you I will do the prep and send it on to them...
Last edited by muttley on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 pm
Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:40 pm Why are you having your custom sprayed, JD?
LOL - "Its actually quite interesting having a guitar which I think sounds/feels nice but is ugly and not worth much"

I'm not talking about my Custom! Its beautiful. Its the PRS - its pretty simple, pretty much worthless but not a bad guitar so it will be fun to mess about with.

Aaaaahhhhhhh I see. It was you getting Crimson involved that threw me. :biggrin: :wank: Yeah, take that sucker to a body shop! :coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Cheers, I wasn't planning on ordering until the end of next week (payday) anyway. The guy from House of Tone was gonna send me a spec and a quote over the next couple of days.

We will talk, I guarantee I can match the quality and it would also help me get this sideline up and working....:)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Aaaaahhhhhhh I see. It was you getting Crimson involved that threw me. :biggrin: :wank: Yeah, take that sucker to a body shop! :coolstorybro:
Yeah, Mutt suggested that I take it down to Crimson as they may have an apprentice with time on his hands who could do it for me and I was going down there anyway so I just chucked the PRS in the car too.

Mutt, if I really think I'm gonna struggle with it, I might send it to you for the prep, but I wouldn't mind having a crack at this myself - although I will probably ask you loads of questions before I start.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm

We will talk, I guarantee I can match the quality and it would also help me get this sideline up and working....:)
:coolstorybro: