Hot Pickups or Vintage

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.

Do you prefer hot pickups or more vintage output pickups?

Hot
40%
Vintage
60%

Total votes: 5

JD01

Hot Pickups or Vintage

Post by JD01 »

We always kick this about; some people prefer hot pickups, some people prefer more vintage out put pickups. I thought it would be fun/interesting to create a poll.

Try and explain why while you're at it.

Personally I tend to prefer hot humbuckers.
Tried a bunch of guitars with more vintage output pickups and didn't like them at all.
Just felt weird not getting any drive at what I consider to be "normal" amp settings and I don't even have a particularly hi-gain sound.

Dunno whether its just a weird placebo effect or its something to do with the way particularly hot pickups compress.
xxlm_110522-tmpAE4C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Re: Hot Pickups or Vintage

Post by Lt. Bob »

Well, in general I prefer pickups .... in general I don't care that much.

BVut there can be extremes .... I had a Valeno and its p'ups were so hot they basically wouldn't do clean at all .... that was a bit much.

But personally I take whatever a git has and work with that.
Farview

Post by Farview »

If you change the pickups, you will have to change the settings on the amp...

At the end of my career, I had custom pickups made for me. They weren't particularly hot, but they had more lower mids than you normally find, so they pushed the front end of the amp differently. The neck pickup (a single coil out of a strat) was my clean pickup, so I'm not sure if the humbucker would clean up...never tried.

Funny thing was, if you plugged an EMG into my amp, it would be almost completely clean, since most of the power on those things is in the upper mids and highs.

For the most part, these days it doesn't matter. As long as the guitar is appropriate to the type of music being played, I will be able to set the amp up to do something that makes sense in context.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't know what "vintage output" means, but I'll go with that. I hate hot pickups.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

I'm a big fan of custom hand wound bespoke pickups. You guys should check em out....:)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:51 pm I don't know what "vintage output" means, but I'll go with that. I hate hot pickups.
The Seymour Duncan and Bareknuckle sites list the lower output pickups as "Vintage" I thought "Mild", "Cool" or "low" sounded a bit shit so I opted for Vintage!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:09 pm
The Seymour Duncan and Bareknuckle sites list the lower output pickups as "Vintage" I thought "Mild", "Cool" or "low" sounded a bit shit so I opted for Vintage!
Gotcha. So you mean lower output. I do prefer "vintage" but they don't have to be vintage, they just have to be modest output. I like the clarity and definition of milder pickups.

There are vintage hot pickups out there. Like the Super Distortions. They're vintage and hot. Not my thing. The fucking JB might be the most famous of all the old superhot pickups.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Low to medium output for humbuckers. I only ever use humbuckers with crunch, as I find their clean tones to be disgusting.

i
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:30 pm Low to medium output for humbuckers. I only ever use humbuckers with crunch, as I find their clean tones to be disgusting
I agree on cleans actually. I always use coil splits.