Marshall JCM2000 DSL

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiteStrat

Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Post by WhiteStrat »

Question for anyone who knows more about Marshalls than me (and that's everyone). Greg--feel free to chime in.

I don't have a Marshall at all, and there's a 100 watt JCM2000 DSL and cab up for sale locally for $1000. Good amp? Good deal?

Thanks!
Greg_L

Re: Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Post by Greg_L »

WhiteStrat wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm Question for anyone who knows more about Marshalls than me (and that's everyone). Greg--feel free to chime in.

I don't have a Marshall at all, and there's a 100 watt JCM2000 DSL and cab up for sale locally for $1000. Good amp? Good deal?

Thanks!
Yes and yes.

It's big and loud, and needs to be loud, but if you can swing it, get it.

Also keep in mind that it's not a Plexi, and it's not a JCM 800, so if true vintage Marshall tones are what you're after, you won't find it in that amp. But if you just want a really good high gain Marshall it's hard to beat the bang-for-the-buck of a used DSL.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The shared EQ between the crunch and lead channels was a deal-breaker for me as a live amp. You can't deny that the crunch tones are pretty nice, though
Haggard Musician :mad:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I've never played through one of the older DSL's, but I had one of the new ones, & it was a pretty damn good amp...

The shared eq is a disappointment, but if you're not playing live that won't matter...

The DSL I had started coming alive around 4-5 on the volume, & kept getting a little better the more I'd turn the volume up...

IMO, it was fuckin' glorious when you started pushing the volume up, but be warned it's "capable of killing small animals" loud... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The shared EQ does suck, but only if you're using it live and need multiple channels. If you treat it like single channel or just a recording amp they're great.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

My little DSL40C was pretty awesome. But that was a recent model where they moved the production to Vietnam. I thought that the sound quality was great, even though the controls were surface mounted. It was a loud little fucker, no doubt about That! Like Greg says, it's a beast of its own, a brighter more modern sound. But lots of gain on tap.