Bubba's Guitar Build Thread - 2016/17

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bubba

Bubba's Guitar Build Thread - 2016/17

Post by Bubba »

I'm bringing this thread lock, stock and barrel from Recording Review, since it has gone down the pan,

Right, first off, I'll admit that I'm an amateur at this. :D

I have been a professional woodworker in the past but no way am I a luthier. For this reason (and lack of the correct tools such as a fret-cutting jig) I won't be making the neck.

When the guitar is finished, I have a hope that with perhaps Muttley's help I will make a neck for this instrument sometime in the future.

In my punk covers band (The Shambollix) my no.1 guitar is known as "The Gobshite". Many years ago - almost 30 in fact - I really wanted a Yamaha SG 2000. There was no way I could have afforded one at the time even if one could be tracked down in this country. With the confidence born of youth and ignorance I decided to make a clone. I had no woodwork training but my dad had a shed, and tools, and a big plank of ash. There was also a chunk of old mahogany table top which I glued to the ash plank.

I scaled up the shape of the body from an illustration in a book and sized it according to the Antoria Les Paul copy I owned at the time. I got a local guy to cut out the body for me on his bandsaw and later to drill the bridge and tailpiece holes on his post drill. The rest I did with chisels, surforms, files and sandpaper. I nicked the neck, electronics and hardware from the LP and stuck it in. Miraculously, the bloody thing worked and plays really, really well! It's a beast, though - it weighs 13lbs.

I now need a backup guitar for my band and I decided to make a clone of my clone. This is its story...
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bubba

Re: Bubba's Guitar Build Thread - 2016/17

Post by Bubba »

To start with, I needed suitable materials. I had a decent piece of afrormosia which was once a school science lab bench top. At 28mm it wasn't thick enough on its own, so I drove out to a woodyard and selected some nice ash at 32mm.

These pics are of the gluing up process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Pre-made bolt-on necks in a Gibson style aren't so easy to come by. Warmoth versions are incredibly expensive. I found a neck being sold by a company called CH guitars. I assume the necks are made in China. Beggars can't be choosers so I took a punt on one at eighty five pounds.

On first inspection it appears to be pretty straight and fairly well-finished. The main part of the neck appears to be red Meranti, which isn't a great timber in itself, but we'll see how it goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

n this pic, the front and back halves are being laminated together. The adhesive is Titebond original.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The body blank is now out of the clamps after 24 hours, trimmed to size and the shape drafted out ready for the bandsaw. Next to it, for comparison, is the Gobshite. I might call this one "Son of Gobshite", or something.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Got the body roughed out on the bandsaw today after work in the school machine shop. I'm doing another half hour tomorrow night, as I have access to the linishing machine and the bobbin sander to perfect the outline.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Just standing the neck in place to see how it looks! :D
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

First fitting of the neck. This enables me to determine the bridge and tailpiece positions and drill for the mounting studs. I can also decide on the pickup position(s). After that comes the carving of the top profile, then I can work out the final neck angle and depth of the neck pocket.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looking good, mate. As much as you're all sick of me banging the drum for crimson custom its worth looking at their webpage for things like fret levelling stuff to finish the build off.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Top carved to shape and pickup routs done. There are still lots of scratches from the carving process to get out.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote:Looking good, mate. As much as you're all sick of me banging the drum for crimson custom its worth looking at their webpage for things like fret levelling stuff to finish the build off.
Thanks, JD. I hope there isn't much to do on the fret-levelling front! :D
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The last couple of days' tasks completed - Comfort scoop done, control cavity and switch cavity done, wiring channels drilled out (I'm really happy with the one that goes from the control cavity to the bridge pickup - it comes out right at the bottom middle rear of the pickup rout - couldn't have judged it better!) and a radius formed on the back edge of the body. Also a ton of tedious hand-sanding.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

A selection of close-ups showing the neck joint properly fitted.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bad ass. I bet you will have to do some fret leveling, but let's hope not!
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Thanks, Greg. I'd probably be equal to the task, I just don't want to have to buy more gear to do it with!

Here's what I've been up to since the last pics. The whole guitar has had a couple of coats of sanding sealer, rubbed down with wet-and-dry paper. The bridge and tailpiece studs have been fitted and they both fit the hardware perfectly. :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Did you drill your ground wire hole? I'm dealing with an LP Custom with no ground wire.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote:Did you drill your ground wire hole? I'm dealing with an LP Custom with no ground wire.
I haven't yet - although there is only about 30mm distance to bore through, so it should be pretty easy. The studs are removable - they're a smooth, tight, press-fit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote:
Greg_L wrote:Did you drill your ground wire hole? I'm dealing with an LP Custom with no ground wire.
I haven't yet - although there is only about 30mm distance to bore through, so it should be pretty easy. The studs are removable - they're a smooth, tight, press-fit.
Cool. It's looking great. Good work.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba thats looks sexy as hell. Good job buddy.

:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote:Bubba thats looks sexy as hell. Good job buddy.

Joe just doesn't get any better looking, does he?