Even Flow Vocal

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
JD01

Re: Even Flow Vocal

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:10 pm Not terrible. The third and fourth ones seem a little off.
Yeah, I've not learned how to chew those words quite so well.
Think I'll get there with this though, I'm learning to hit that F# a bit more easily now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:16 pm
Think I'll get there with this though, I'm learning to hit that F# a bit more easily now.
It sounds kind of far off the mic too. I don't know if you are off the mic or if it's some weird processing but get it more present and up front.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just thinking, the first two are eee sounds. The last one is very much an aaaah sound. Maybe that makes it harder to hit a high note, I don't know
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:22 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:16 pm
It sounds kind of far off the mic too. I don't know if you are off the mic or if it's some weird processing but get it more present and up front.
Yeah, I was probably about 20-30cm off the mic. I agree on that, it has the boxy room distant sound.

I had 20 mins free this evening at the end of work. I reckon if have a decent morning to work on this I can nail it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:36 pm So, Even Flow, take 2.
Better, not quite there yet.

Even FLow Vocal Take 2.mp3
you cut it off right at the chorus dude. I was holding out for that.

Just those first syllables of each line that got you wavering a little still.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is it just me, or does it feel weirdly over-enunciated for Pearl Jam?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You fucking tease, cutting off just before the chorus... :eep:

Getting there, but if that's as high as you can get, you're going to really struggle to put the whole song together I think - you may have to do it in shifts and let your voice recover in between.

How are the neighbours liking it? :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 pm Is it just me, or does it feel weirdly over-enunciated for Pearl Jam?
Haha, I was pretty surprised when I read the lyrics. I've been listening to that song for 30 years and never had any idea what he was saying.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:36 pm

You fucking tease, cutting off just before the chorus... :eep:

Getting there, but if that's as high as you can get, you're going to really struggle to put the whole song together I think - you may have to do it in shifts and let your voice recover in between.

How are the neighbours liking it? :biggrin:
Semi detached houses are weird like that!
I haven't done a proper attempt at the chorus yet.
I'm gonna try and get keepers on the Verses next time I give it a go. There's only 8 lines in the song so I can hopefully manage that in one sitting.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@JD01

Hey man, second take sounds better than the first but I can offer some exercises to help create some freedom in your voice as it sounds very squeezed or pinched.

1- Warm up softly singing between the vowels "ee" and "aye" concentrating on the placement of the tongue. It should feel high in the mouth on "ee" and low on "aye" - Do this very softly on a comfortable pitch and work up to the starting pitch of the song. Also your jaw should drop on "aye" as well.

2- Next, try vocalizing the melody while trilling your lips, like you are blowing raspberries - alternate singing the lyrics and trilling the melody - this helps control over-singing as the vocal chords don't need as much air across them as people think and keeps some of the tension out of your voice.

3- Sing "Yeah" very nasal on pitches 5,4,3,2,1 of a scale(progressively going up in pitch) - take this feeling into your singing, it will develop your mixed voice and higher notes will be less forced.

4- Sing the song as soft as you can(possibly even in falsetto) while staying in tune. Then gradually add volume.

I can also suggest some warm-ups and exercises I have been using on spotify/youtube. A little bit a day, say 15 minutes, of vocal practice can go a long way in improving.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Tony, I'll try all that before I attempt this again.