Youtube copyright stuff.

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Youtube copyright stuff.

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ah, your Google fu may be stronger than mind. My 30 seconds of Ducking turned up nothing helpful.

If they're going after a tribute band for trading in on their likeness... that's trademark then, right? That seems trickier. Of course, there also was the German Tina Turner impersonator who got sued last year. I guess it's a matter of who is willing to go to court over things, and I bet Don Henley has better lawyers than MT's friend.

Yeah, going after the bars they play seems like a non-starter. I guess technically a band as big as the Eagles could be copyright trolls about it (if they hadn't already licensed to BMI) and try to get some big settlements out of handful of bars. It would be a lot of work for likely very little return tho. Plus, I doubt they would want their legacy to be "the band who killed a local bar over karaoke night"
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:44 pm Eagles are BMI, or at least a shitload of their songs anyways .,.... didn't bother to look super deeply .... a 30 second search found 61 songs under BMI

Seems unlikely/impossible that individual acts would track down and go after the zillions of venues that might be playing an Eagles song without permission.
How could they? BMI/ASCAP have legions of people to do that ..... bands don't.

But it may be that a tribute band might have a larger footprint since they are also trading on the bands name/likenesses for booking purposes.
But I've know a lot of tribute bands and have never heard of this.

Doesn't mean it's impossible and I could be quite wrong.

But my gut reaction is to not believe it.
He could have been lying. But I do know is a difference between covering a song or songs from a band and being a tribute band. I think the idea is that they are profiting not only on the songs but also by billing themselves as an "7 Bridges - The Ultimate EAGLES Experience." So I guess because they are piggy-backing on the Eagles success a case could be made. And Don Henley seems like the type that would follow up on this kinda crap.

I do remember him also saying not matter what, they could not post videos of their performances on youtube or their website.

If you are interested here is what I found about the legality of tribute bands
Are Tribute Bands Legal
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

musicturtle wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 pm
I do remember him also saying not matter what, they could not post videos of their performances on youtube or their website.

Are Tribute Bands Legal
That's a pretty interesting article ..... and besides the money aspect, I can see big acts not wanting bands representing their work and likenesses to suck.

And Don Henley is a shitstain
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

musicturtle wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 pm

Are Tribute Bands Legal
That's a pretty interesting article ..... and besides the money aspect, I can see big acts not wanting bands representing their work and likenesses to suck.

And Don Henley is a shitstain.

We went to the Eagles concert years ago when they had first gotten back together ..... they were actually playing small venues .... the place we saw them only seated maybe 4 or 5 thousand ... and TBH they were spectacularly good and Joe Walsh absolutely stole the show.
Only complaint would be they had the bass mixed like a hip hop band so it was indistinct ..... but the band was amazing.

HOWEVER ..... there was a pricey program book that apparently had been mostly written by Henley and pre-show I was reading it and everyone within hearing range was laughing because I've never seen such an egotistical self-aggrandizing thing ever.
It was FULL of shit like , 'As our adoring fans camped outside the hotel windows trying to get a glimpse of us, we were all shocked at what gods of music we had become' ..... a LOT of 'we were worshipped' type stuff.

It was absurd.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

musicturtle wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 pm If you are interested here is what I found about the legality of tribute bands
Are Tribute Bands Legal
I always wonder about parody bands.

e.g. clearly Dred Zepplin are directly parodying any Zepplin or Elvis IP, so they would fall under fair use.

But what about Blonde Jovi or Mini KISS? The article says the former lost their suit because they were using actual trademarks. How much would they have to tweak to be clearly fair use?