Little Lion Feet

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Little Lion Feet

Post by WhiskeyJack »

annikajayne wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:42 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:20 pm
It may be entirely possible that the reason @CrowsofFritz is hearing it off center may be because of the two mic set up?

Another of our trusty rebels @Tadpui has an awesome YouTube channel and I remember a video he had made where doing a stereo micing set up type exercise and discovered a lean in the stereo spectrum.

give it it watch @annikajayne and see if this may shed more light on how you set up your mics.

Wow, that's an awesome video @Tadpui ! Thanks for posting @WhiskeyJack ! Of course, I've been doing it all wrong! But that's why I'm here, I suppose!

I had never heard of Figure 8 mics and I've been using two of these mics: https://www.thomann.de/de/rode_m3.htm. For the vocals, I'm using this one: https://www.thomann.de/de/aston_microphones_origin.htm .

The thing is, I recorded my first album and my first EP in a recording studio and neither of the sound engineers used the technique shown in the video. They both had placed one mic to the right and one to the left, if I'm not mistaken. Not the Rode mics - they looked more like the mics used in the video.

Seems like I'll have to save up to two new mics then...
Oh! Don't get me wrong. I am not at all saying how you do it is wrong. not at all. I linked the video purely as a reference as to what could potentially create a left or right leaning guitar sound even though you may have done your best to centre things up?! That's all. (maybe also to pump Tad's tires a little bit as well :sherlock: :happytrees: :coolstorybro: )

The two mics you have are going to serve you very well. I wouldn't ever suggest adding new ones at this point unless you had the desire and budget to experiment with different mics and what they can do for you, your sound and your songs. :like:

recently @CrowsofFritz did a really cool exercise with testing out various types and price points of microphones on himself and the results were interesting. Have a listen and read when you get time. Everyone's responses were the interesting thing. Results varied depending no the listener!!!

viewtopic.php?p=97140#p97140
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

annikajayne wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:52 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:56 pm well .... that's sort of what you've done ...... I was just saying that's how I personally prefer it.
But there will be those that disagree and think a git should be panned dead center ....... I think it's a matter of taste and don't really believe in music rules like that.

There seems to be a modern move away from much panning but I'm from the psychedelic era and still like a lot of the crazy panning they did back then.
Ummm, no, I just checked, both the vocals and the guitar are panned to the center in my DAW.
I didn't mean you had them panned apart ..... I meant that the guitar leaning right because of mics not being exactly the same ends up being the same thing as if you had panned them.
Alison

Post by Alison »

@annikajayne, when I first heard this (when you shared it on Twitter?) I had no clue you were lipsyncing! I heard the french version (yes, guys, she sings in 3 different languages!!!) anyway, I had meant to ask you how you got such a great sound. Last "live" video I did took MANY takes because I kept making mistakes and even the final version has bloopers in it but, I gave up.

Anyway, your sound is SO much better than my camcorder mic. . .ugh! I love this song, the English AND French versions! Glad you posted it!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

annikajayne wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:42 pm Wow, that's an awesome video @Tadpui ! Thanks for posting @WhiskeyJack ! Of course, I've been doing it all wrong! But that's why I'm here, I suppose!

I had never heard of Figure 8 mics and I've been using two of these mics: https://www.thomann.de/de/rode_m3.htm. For the vocals, I'm using this one: https://www.thomann.de/de/aston_microphones_origin.htm .

The thing is, I recorded my first album and my first EP in a recording studio and neither of the sound engineers used the technique shown in the video. They both had placed one mic to the right and one to the left, if I'm not mistaken. Not the Rode mics - they looked more like the mics used in the video.

Seems like I'll have to save up to two new mics then...
It really is a lovely song, well performed and well recorded. The lean to the right is pretty subtle to me, and just scooting yourself or the mics one way or the other would center it right up.

I wouldn't go running to upgrade mics just yet, I think that you've got a very good sound already with the mics that you've got. I mean, unless you want to get some new microphones...personally, I love microphones and I've accrued quite a collection at this point. I think that they're one of the biggest impacts you can make on the tone and texture of your recordings. But I also think that those M3 mics sound very good on your voice and guitar.

Is the video the same performance as the audio, or is it an overdub? I only ask because the vocals sound so close and intimate, but the mics seem to be far enough away that they're out of frame in the video. If it's the same video and audio, then I must know your secret to getting such a dry and up-close sound with such distant microphones :)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:06 am
I wouldn't go running to upgrade mics just yet, I think that you've got a very good sound already with the mics that you've got. I mean, unless you want to get some new microphones... I also think that those M3 mics sound very good on your voice and guitar.
....... If it's the same video and audio, then I must know your secret to getting such a dry and up-close sound with such distant microphones :)
all of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
annikajayne

Post by annikajayne »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:06 am It really is a lovely song, well performed and well recorded. The lean to the right is pretty subtle to me, and just scooting yourself or the mics one way or the other would center it right up.

I wouldn't go running to upgrade mics just yet, I think that you've got a very good sound already with the mics that you've got. I mean, unless you want to get some new microphones...personally, I love microphones and I've accrued quite a collection at this point. I think that they're one of the biggest impacts you can make on the tone and texture of your recordings. But I also think that those M3 mics sound very good on your voice and guitar.

Is the video the same performance as the audio, or is it an overdub? I only ask because the vocals sound so close and intimate, but the mics seem to be far enough away that they're out of frame in the video. If it's the same video and audio, then I must know your secret to getting such a dry and up-close sound with such distant microphones :)
Thank you so much for your kind words!! I think I'll post a picture (or video) at some point of how I set it all up. It's quite reassuring that I haven't been doing it wrong after all!! :smiles:

What you hear in the video is NOT the original sound from the video. What I do is, I record the song with Cubase. I then play it really loud, lip sync and play the guitar to the recording while filming myself with my phone. After that, I delete the sound from the original video in my video-editor and put the recording from Cubase in, and make sure the sound is matching the performance in the video. So, it's an overdub, yes.
annikajayne

Post by annikajayne »

Alison wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:28 pm @annikajayne, when I first heard this (when you shared it on Twitter?) I had no clue you were lipsyncing! I heard the french version (yes, guys, she sings in 3 different languages!!!) anyway, I had meant to ask you how you got such a great sound. Last "live" video I did took MANY takes because I kept making mistakes and even the final version has bloopers in it but, I gave up.

Anyway, your sound is SO much better than my camcorder mic. . .ugh! I love this song, the English AND French versions! Glad you posted it!
Well - we're talking about two different songs here @Alison ! The one in French (La fille d'Octobre) is a really old video and it's NOT lip-synced at all. That's just recorded with my husband's camera.

This one, Little Lion Feet, I lip-synced. Don't worry about the mistakes. If you listen and look very closely you'll notice that I am playing a different chord in the video than you hear in the recording at the end of the video. Oooops! :facepalm2: However, I had done the video so many times at this point that I decided to just upload it anyway, hoping that nobody would notice! So far I've had no complaints! :smiles:
Last edited by annikajayne on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
annikajayne

Post by annikajayne »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:28 pm
Oh! Don't get me wrong. I am not at all saying how you do it is wrong. not at all. I linked the video purely as a reference as to what could potentially create a left or right leaning guitar sound even though you may have done your best to centre things up?! That's all. (maybe also to pump Tad's tires a little bit as well :sherlock: :happytrees: :coolstorybro: )

The two mics you have are going to serve you very well. I wouldn't ever suggest adding new ones at this point unless you had the desire and budget to experiment with different mics and what they can do for you, your sound and your songs. :like:

recently @CrowsofFritz did a really cool exercise with testing out various types and price points of microphones on himself and the results were interesting. Have a listen and read when you get time. Everyone's responses were the interesting thing. Results varied depending no the listener!!!

viewtopic.php?p=97140#p97140
That's very reassuring, thank you!! :smiles: I'll definitely have a listen to @CrowsofFritz 's exercise!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:28 pm Everyone's responses were the interesting thing. Results varied depending no the listener!!!

and the listeners playback equipment