Let's discuss compression a bit

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Let's discuss compression a bit

Post by liv_rong »

So it was brought to my attention that a compressor pedal may help out with some of the clean Delay/Reverb stuff I've been working on the past few months. It makes sense to me and it was between the Xotic SP or the Wampler Ego and I ended up ordering the mini ego. I know I'll mess around with placement in the chain but wanted to hear your thoughts before it gets here. I know I want it before it hits the effects, but do I put it before the pre tubes or first in the loop? I'm guessing it should go guitar>comp>soul food>amp>delay>verb>delay>amp. Am I right in this?
Greg_L

Re: Let's discuss compression a bit

Post by Greg_L »

I'm thinking, yes, put it first in the chain. Definitely not in the loop.

But...I never use guitar compression, so don't listen to me.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

It could go either way ..... I tend to use it early in the chain because some modulation pedals produce something that has volume changes and if you level those out you lose some of the effect.

OTOH, some things like the EH Organ Machine do better with a compressed signal.
So it can go front/middle /end of the chain depending on what other pedals you're using.
Farview

Post by Farview »

Put it first in the chain. Another cool thing about compressors is you can back off on the distortion without losing sustain.

It keeps the signal in the distortion zone, no matter how hard you are picking. It's how Yngwie is able to have any sustain without the oversaturated distortion. He also uses them on his acoustics live.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:41 am .........some modulation pedals produce something that has volume changes and if you level those out you lose some of the effect.
So, what about delays? Its not going to bump up the repeats that are supposed to fade is it? If so maybe I should go last? I got this to even out my picking for the clean/delay stuff.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:19 pm

So, what about delays? Its not going to bump up the repeats that are supposed to fade is it? If so maybe I should go last? I got this to even out my picking for the clean/delay stuff.
Put the delay in the fx loop.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Put the delay in the fx loop.
Yes, they are. I also just realized how stupid that question was :oops:
Farview

Post by Farview »

The compression should be first, to even out the picking.

Any delay should be after any distortion and or compression, otherwise the decay will be affected.