Vocal processing method

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
JD01

Re: Vocal processing method

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:12 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:11 pm
Its a really dry room too. Ill have a fiddle with some different verbs.
It's not a big deal. It's not bad. It's just to my ears the last little bit to get sorted if you want really clean and clear vocal tracks.
Yeah. I want to sort it. I want to get my vocals working in a mix properly now that I'm finally capable of doing passable vocals.

I'm just working on some guitars solos for it then I'll audition some reverbs for the vocal.

Ill try the vocal ambience impulse and go from there. I do like the sound of that Live Great Room impulse though. Its the one I've kept coming back to.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

those don't sound bad JD. Pretty decent. I don't know that i heard a before take to that one but that one sounds good. It works in the mix.

I still struggle with reverbs. I just went to remix something last night for fun and i hate everything i did reverb wise. I spent last night diving back into reverbs. It Sucks.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:55 pm those don't sound bad JD. Pretty decent. I don't know that i heard a before take to that one but that one sounds good. It works in the mix.

I still struggle with reverbs. I just went to remix something last night for fun and i hate everything i did reverb wise. I spent last night diving back into reverbs. It Sucks.
There might be a very old version of this floating about somewhere but the clip you just heard is the only one on this version of it. Basically I was signing this in the shower yesterday and decided I wanted to re-do it. Aside from the guitar solos its a really simple song so didn't take me long.

Anyway, I think this is the reverb that Greg suggested in the other thread - its way shorter than the one I was using.
Verse Vocal Amb.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 pm
There might be a very old version of this floating about somewhere but the clip you just heard is the only one on this version of it. Basically I was signing this in the shower yesterday and decided I wanted to re-do it. Aside from the guitar solos its a really simple song so didn't take me long.

Anyway, I think this is the reverb that Greg suggested in the other thread - its way shorter than the one I was using.

Verse Vocal Amb.mp3
Yup even better. Much less sea-shellish.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Cheers, I'll fiddle with this a bit more.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:53 pm

And when I play live....I KNOW I'm the worst drummer or guitarist in the place. There's no question about it.
:k:
lol@ one of the better players I know thinking that ....... especially on drums.

:cuckoo:

I promise when you finally make your way over here you'll see I'm way worse.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:15 pm
lol@ one of the better players I know thinking that ....... especially on drums.

:cuckoo:

I promise when you finally make your way over here you'll see I'm way worse.
You're not a drummer though. Lol.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've been listening to different verbs and going back and forth between them and I think I know what I was struggling with.

My previous reverb was too long.. so I ended up in this weird situation where if I gave it the right level of reverb it sounded seashelly... but then if I backed it off enough to kill the seashell effect it was way to dry. That's why I was asking about gating a send recently.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:53 pm I've been listening to different verbs and going back and forth between them and I think I know what I was struggling with.

My previous reverb was too long.. so I ended up in this weird situation where if I gave it the right level of reverb it sounded seashelly... but then if I backed it off enough to kill the seashell effect it was way to dry. That's why I was asking about gating a send recently.
Pre-delay. Use it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:53 pm I've been listening to different verbs and going back and forth between them and I think I know what I was struggling with.

Pre-delay. Use it.
I see that on alot of verbs and ivplay with but i do t knkw what its doing really. WTF is predelay even do?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm

I see that on alot of verbs and ivplay with but i do t knkw what its doing really. WTF is predelay even do?
Pre delay is the tiny little gap between the dry signal and the wet reverb.

It is essentially delay, but instead of a repeat of the dry signal like you'd get with a typical delay, you get the room sound a little delayed after the dry sound.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I had an audiology test today - related to the Vertigo I've had for seven months or so.
Seems my ears take a steep & deep dive around 8k so, technically, I shouldn't be recording at all let alone processing vocals.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Pre-delay. Use it.
This has been mentioned before. I’ve looked for various settings but I can’t find a way of doing it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:33 am I had an audiology test today - related to the Vertigo I've had for seven months or so.
Seems my ears take a steep & deep dive around 8k so, technically, I shouldn't be recording at all let alone processing vocals.
Ah, that sounds like it could be problematic.
Is that just wear and tear ? Or is it something that could be reversible if your vertigo is treatable.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:40 am
rayc wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:33 am I had an audiology test today - related to the Vertigo I've had for seven months or so.
Ah, that sounds like it could be problematic.
Is that just wear and tear ? Or is it something that could be reversible if your vertigo is treatable.
Damage from years of loud headphones, loud gigs, from the occasional amp freak out when my ear was at the speaker and tinnitus masking frequencies. Nothing repairable but, luckily, no hidden deeper neurological problem behind the vertigo.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Pre-delay. Use it.
^This. What reverb are you using?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:26 am

Pre-delay. Use it.
I'm just loading a reverb impulse into ReaVerb.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:10 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm

It is essentially delay, but instead of a repeat of the dry signal like you'd get with a typical delay, you get the room sound a little delayed after the dry sound.
A pre delay of about 90ms is good place to start. You'll probably find it cleans up the vocal. That's been my experience, at least.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bill L wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:06 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:10 pm

A pre delay of about 90ms is good place to start. You'll probably find it cleans up the vocal. That's been my experience, at least.
Im gonna test this tmr.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 am
Armistice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:26 am

I'm just loading a reverb impulse into ReaVerb.
Reaverb won't do it. You need a different IR loader.
Rebel Yell