Come Home

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
stratmonkee

Come Home

Post by stratmonkee »

Getting back into it, have started new band doing all originals...this is one of the 1st ones ....wondering how it sounds to you....Not sure how the guitar solo part works...something about band stopping and guitar playing thru kinda bugs me....

hoping this is how to share link :facepalm:

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/play ... 31232&q=hi
stratmonkee

Re: Come Home

Post by stratmonkee »

Should have stated these are drum loops, tracking real drums shortly ... as soon as the real drummer is ready ;>)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Man I like that. Surfy poprock. Good song.

The band stopping under the solo is no big deal, as long as everyone does it on time and tight.

The mix is pretty good, kind of a little too bright to me. The highs in the cymbals and guitars are a bit too much. But pretty good overall. Good to hear your music again. I always liked it.
Rebel Yell
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:02 pm Man I like that. Surfy poprock. Good song.

The band stopping under the solo is no big deal, as long as everyone does it on time and tight.

The mix is pretty good, kind of a little too bright to me. The highs in the cymbals and guitars are a bit too much. But pretty good overall. Good to hear your music again. I always liked it.
Thanks Greg, yeah, it is a little bright....as I'm getting back into this, I listened to several of my older things (ugh) and everything was dense dark and murky...my goal is to try and have my recordings be a little less dense....not be afraid to have a open space :lol: , and I tried to add a little high end to the over all mix of this....work in progress so I will adjust as I listen with fresh ears , and listen to the advice of others.
Thanks for listening!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, very cool. How many people are singing at the same time? Sounds cool.

I don't find it too bright. But I always expect things to be worse than they are when I read comments. I went in expecting it to take my head off with high end. I think it just needs more volume on the kik and maybe a little more beef on the bass guitar, even though I really like the bass sound.

Cool, catchy song. By the end of it, I wanted the verses to continue.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Hey Queep, is that Brain May in your avatar? Or is it Bon Scott with May's hair and a Queen T-shirt?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:36 pm I think it just needs more volume on the kik and maybe a little more beef on the bass guitar, even though I really like the bass sound.

That's a good point. My "too bright" impression could just be a lack of beef elsewhere.

Stratmonkee (I'm gonna have to get used to calling you that) you've done a good job improving your multi-vocal approach. I remember your earlier mixes years ago where the vocals were sometimes hard to distinguish. This is much better IMO. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool and a big change in direction as well as sonics Gene.
I like it - I think Greg & Rami have the nits covered. The drummer's going to have to be on the ball.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is great, nothing more to add to the comments other than to say it sounds really good.

Some really cool 60s sounding stuff in here. Sometimes I think it sounds quite British sounding, then I start thinking it sounds like Jefferson Airplane.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I likes the tunage a lot actually.
I do find it a bit harshly bright on the top end.
I think that's gonna vary according what you're listening through based on the comments but on my speakers it's a bit brash.

Nice surfy lead man!
This is good stuff.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Very 60's Pop/Rock...cool tune. :cool:
And yes...I have to agree with the others...just a bit harsh/bright, it wouldn't hurt to roll that off some on the mix.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Holy brightness bat man. A little sharp in the uppers there strat.

But yea this is a cool tune i dig that warbly surf tone you got going on. It's very cool. Would be kind of cool to hear what gear you got going on to get that sound?

I will wait till i hear a track with real drums before i comment on too much stuff. But this is definitely headed in a cool direction.
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hi, Stratmonkee. I like this song very much, and the sound is pretty good for this genre, but to me the overall eq is just a bit too hard and "garagey" - a little harsh and not full enough in the bottom end. I understand that it needs to be a bit like that, but IMO it's too far in that direction. I love the reverb sounds that you've used - very appropriate. :coolstorybro: There's nothing wrong with this that some judicious EQing wouldn't put right.

A lot of the lads over here seem to know you from your old handles, but you've slipped under my radar! :biggrin: I look forward to hearing an update of this and more of the same. :cool:
Haggard Musician :mad:
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

Stratmonkee - that's got to be at least the 3rd user name of yours? I'm so confused!

Anyway, it's good to hear tracks of yours again. I like this one a lot.

+1 about the vocals being tighter than years ago. Well done there.
+1 as well about the overall brightness though. I like where you're going, but I'd dial it back just a bit.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

TAIL (typing as I listen...)...wow Soundclick, I still have an account there from about '09...

This is a little bright in the high end, but it's not that bad...Pretty good song, a 60's surf thing...Lotsa reverb on the guitars, which is good for the style here...

I don't hear anything that sounds out of place man, this is actually pretty good...A simple eq tweak would take care of the high end, but again, it ain't bad...

I'm impressed, good job dude!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: