What kind of pick do you use?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bill L

What kind of pick do you use?

Post by Bill L »

I've been playing guitar since I was around 13 (almost 35 years). Since around 15 years old, I've been playing Fender Medium jazz style picks (the tear drop looking things) though there have been times where I've used others for a very short time. About a year ago I noticed that I had almost worn through my index finger nail plate do to the angle in which I pick. So I decided to try out a super heavy pick on the recommendation of a seasoned studio musician that I had the pleasure of doing a number of gigs with. All I can say is I will never go back to a medium or tear drop/jazz pick again. I'm currently using 3 different picks and learning the nuance of each. Right now I have a Dunlop 2.0 standard shape, a Dunlop Tortex 1.14 triangle shape and a different Dunlop 2.0 standard shape that is smoother (I had to drill a hole in the middle in order to maintain my grip on the pick). I'm still looking around but I love the triangle Dunlop; I just wish I could find a thicker one.

So what do you guys use and why? I can say my tone hasn't changed (much) but the crispness of notes during solos is astounding. And now I don't have to put nail polish on one finger in order to prevent a hole from developing in my fingernail. :lollers:
JD01

Re: What kind of pick do you use?

Post by JD01 »

For years - since I pretty much stared playing I used the Dumlop nylong 0.88mm picks - quite floppy and then moved up to Dunlop nylon 1mm. Still quite floppy. Then a couple of years ago I changed to Dunlop Ultex 1mm picks, still a bit bendy but these were smooth and my playing improved.

Then I weirdly won a set of 3mm picks from Iron Age guitar accessories in Texas. Smallish pointy picks made of Horn, Bone, Ebony etc. I liked the horn pick the best but they're really expensive and were a little small and really, who needs a fucking horn pick? It also wore away quite quickly.

Then I tried Dragon Heart picks - these are pretty much indestructible 2mm picks with a bevelled edge but this was a little too rounded at the tip for me. Great pick though. No appreciable wear on this after a couple of years.

I next ordered a collection of picks from Gravity UK to sample the range and have settled on the 2mm Gravity Sunrise in master finish with multiple grip holes in it. They're amazing and I can't see myself changing for a while - they last ages too. I've been alternating through a pair of these for about a year now and they're just starting to wear out so I'm gonna order a few more. I also sometimes use the 3mm version of the same pick. These picks have probably done hundreds of hours each.

I know picks seem like a boring topic (and it is) but trying loads of different picks in the last few years has really made a difference to my playing - its definitely more accurate and tighter - I don't think its that the pick has a tone, although it probably does a bit, I think it just encourages accurate playing.

The biggest difference I noticed was when I discovered bevelled edge picks - I hate using standard picks now.
Last edited by JD01 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I use my band's custom made band picks. I don't know what they are or who makes them. They have our band logos on them. I have about 20,000 of them. They're kind of like a hard Tortex pick, but not too thick. They have some give to them. Lighter than a heavy, but heavier than a medium. Medium-heavy. Normal pick shape. I have so many that no one in my future family tree will ever need guitar picks for many many generations.

Edit - just measured one with dial calipers.... .80 mm. So comparable to a yellow or green Dunlop Tortex.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:24 pm

I know picks seem like a boring topic (and it is) but trying loads of different picks in the last few years has really made a difference to my playing - its definitely more accurate and tighter - I don't think its that the pick has a tone, although it probably does a bit, I think it just encourages accurate playing.
Well, it may be boring but it is a very interesting discussion. I remember you had talked about picks on the other board. And there are enough really good guitar players that have mentioned to me over the years that your pick and your posture while picking are very important to your tone.

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 pm I use my band's custom made band picks. I don't know what they are or who makes them. They have our band logos on them. I have about 20,000 of them. They're kind of like a hard Tortex pick, but not too thick. They have some give to them. Lighter than a heavy, but heavier than a medium. Medium-heavy. Normal pick shape. I have so many that no one in my future family tree will ever need guitar picks for many many generations.

Edit - just measured one with dial calipers.... .80 mm. So comparable to a yellow or green Dunlop Tortex.
I was planning on buying custom logo picks but I could never find the teardrop mediums (at reasonable prices). I even looked at the stamp tool that let's you make your own picks (they even sell sheets of plastic) but they didn't have a teardrop template. Maybe now that I'm close to deciding which pick I like, I'll get some made for me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 pm

I was planning on buying custom logo picks but I could never find the teardrop mediums (at reasonable prices). I even looked at the stamp tool that let's you make your own picks (they even sell sheets of plastic) but they didn't have a teardrop template. Maybe now that I'm close to deciding which pick I like, I'll get some made for me.
To be fair, I didn't have them made. The other guys did. I just pick up all the picks they drop and now I have millions of them. I'm not picky about picks. Pun intended. I'll use a broken piece of glass or a credit card for all I care.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:42 pm
To be fair, I didn't have them made. The other guys did. I just pick up all the picks they drop and now I have millions of them. I'm not picky about picks. Pun intended. I'll use a broken piece of glass or a credit card for all I care.
:lollers2: I use picks until they're worn to nubs. I almost never drop them. So I'm really getting a kick out of your band mates dropping them. Although now that I think of it, it was a pick that I found at a gig that was extra heavy and started me down this road. :D

The funny thing is, I don't always use a pick. On acoustic or playing slide I almost always use my fingers.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:53 pm :lollers2: I use picks until they're worn to nubs. I almost never drop them. So I'm really getting a kick out of your band mates dropping them. Although now that I think of it, it was a pick that I found at a gig that was extra heavy and started me down this road. :D

The funny thing is, I don't always use a pick. On acoustic or playing slide I almost always use my fingers.
I don't know why they drop picks either. I never drop a pick. One guy prefers Jazz IIIs, which are fucking pure unfiltered retarded to me, but he likes them so he picks them up when he drops them. He doesn't let those go to waste. But our band picks are everywhere so I grab em up at the end of a practice or gig. I also grab picks at shows. I have a massive collection of every pick you can think of, but for myself I prefer our basic band picks.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's a small example of my pick hoarding. This is just on my desk. A handful of the band picks and a large shot glass with hundreds more. I'm not even gonna show you the ziplocks full of even more picks. :facepalm: :facepalm2: :WTF:

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bill, you should try the Dragon Heart's. Indestructible and if you like them you can have them customised!
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:05 pm Here's a small example of my pick hoarding. This is just on my desk. A handful of the band picks and a large shot glass with hundreds more. I'm not even gonna show you the ziplocks full of even more picks. :facepalm: :facepalm2: :WTF:

I've got cups full of picks too. People give them to me all the time. I just never use them. :D
JD01 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:09 pm Bill, you should try the Dragon Heart's. Indestructible and if you like them you can have them customised!
I think I might. There are a couple of really good local shops around here that have some of this stuff. And there's always Victory Pete!* :lollers2:

*His shop is about 20 mins from my house so I think I'm going to stop in for a laugh. Ask him what brand of talcum powder I should use on my Les. :lollers:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I use the red Tortex 0.50mm and occasionally the grey Dunlop .60mm nylon. I like the flex of the .50mm but I go through them fairly fast because they wear fast. Once the edge starts losing its sharpness and rounds off I usually grab a new one, my picking style sucks and that little bit makes a difference for me.

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Haha. If you've never used bevelled edge picks you might like them.

http://www.dragonsheartguitarpicks.com/

These are my favourite
http://gravitypicks.co.uk/Sunrise-SP.htm
Although it's worth sampling the range to see what you like. If anyone here is curious about gravity picks I can post you a few as I've decided what ones I like. But if I send you a Sunrise it'll be quite worn.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

And these are the Iron Age ones. The horn spearhead was my favourite but it wore down quickly. I'd like to try horn and bone J3s

https://ironageaccessories.com/collecti ... horn-picks
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I mostly use the Jim Dunlop nylon picks. I like the fact that the part where you grip is thicker than the rest of the pick and has a very grippy surface. As a result I never drop picks. I've used the .73 mm for years but recently I've considered going up to the.88. I fear I might break strings if I do, though.
Haggard Musician :mad:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

.73 mm yellow tortex
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Just took a punt on some Alice nylon hi-grip picks at 0.81mm. They're in no-dad colours, though.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I've been using Fender medium confetti picks for as long as I can remember. When the point wears down I use them for playing bass. Tortex and nylon just feels weird and sounds dull to me.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Bubba

New Pick Day!!

Post by Bubba »

So, my .81mm Nylon picks arrived today for a trial! :coolstorybro: I've got this situation when playing live, sometimes. There's quite a lot of heavy strumming as you can imagine with our set, and sometimes if I've trimmed my nails too close I can give myself a blister on the index finger over the course of a couple of songs. ImageThe .73mm aren't stiff enough to protect my finger, and the .88mm are so stiff I can't get on with them and I'd probably start busting strings too often. On first appraisal these seem to be bang on :smug: - time will tell.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lol. I don't know how a 0.88mm can be considered too thick anymore!!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am Lol. I don't know how a 0.88mm can be considered too thick anymore!!
The songs I play don't require much finesse in the picking department and I'd surely carve through lots of 0.24W strings lamming away with a .88 :biggrin: