First toan....Just to break the ice.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rammer24

First toan....Just to break the ice.

Post by rammer24 »

OK, here's something I'm working on. I'm using mostly crunchy tones. I didn't want full on distortion, but I also didn't want "Beatles clean", even though it might be a bit of a Beatlish riff.

I actually used my Strat for this on the main riff.

So we have:

Main riff: Strat neck pick up.
Left rtythm: EPi SG neck pick up.
Right rythm: Gibson SG neck pick up.

Tell me if it works when you all get around to settling in and listening.

https://ramirami.com/files/272180/star- ... ne-eye.mp3
Greg_L

Re: First toan....Just to break the ice.

Post by Greg_L »

Sounds great Rami. No prob with the tones for me.

So here's another with, for me, a strange count during what I guess are the verses? I can play along to it lap drumming, but what the hell time sig is that? Is that like 7/8 or something?
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

(Another thread that doesn't have the "Quick reply" option. Some do, some don't. I don't get it)

Thanx man. No, it's all 4/4. The stumbling drum beat might make it sounds like it's odd time, but you can play a straight 4/4 beat to it.

Those crunchy tones are ok? Cool.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:(Another thread that doesn't have the "Quick reply" option. Some do, some don't. I don't get it)

Thanx man. No, it's all 4/4. The stumbling drum beat might make it sounds like it's odd time, but you can play a straight 4/4 beat to it.

Those crunchy tones are ok? Cool.
You've mastered quirky drums over a basic beat. I totally hear it now...I think. Very cool.

Yeah the tones are fine to me. No problem.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Tones are nice and crunchy, doesn't sound like neck pickups on the main rhythm, bass is nice and tight but has solid bottom to it.
Drums are perfect as always :)
I'm still on headset which is bass light but it sounds okay.
You can here the neck "sound" on the riff at 1:40? That for me could come up a hair.
There seems to be a flat note (1:53) it's so subtle though it might be okay after vocals are in.
Nice progression, I can almost hear you singing this already - it's a good one :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx Ido. I already have lyrics and melody written for this. There are going to be a lot of back vocals, maybe a little Queen/Beatle-ish.

I'm not sure if that note is flat. The chord goes from a major ro a minor, so I think you're hearing me go from the major third to the minor third. Having said that, I have been having some trouble with tuning on my EPI, so it's possible something's a little out of tune.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Tones sound good Rami...The only thing I have a problem with are the drums, because I can't play 'em anywhere near your ability... :mrgreen:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

It sounds good to me and definitely has the signature Rami tone going on.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

ocnor wrote: has the signature Rami tone going on.
You guys keep saying that. I'm beginning to wonder if you're insulting me behind my back right to my face. :D
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

rammer24 wrote:
You guys keep saying that. I'm beginning to wonder if you're insulting me behind my back right to my face. :D
Oh shit! I think that he's on to us.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:
Lol you do have a signature sound. That's a great thing. It's how you hold the pick, how you fret and chord, how you dial in your sounds. Everything about all of your sounds and songs is very Rami. I bet I could pick one of your songs out in a blind test without even hearing the vocals. You've achieved what everyone should really want for themselves.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That's pretty cool. Thanx.

I guess each person's style comes down to how all their hundreds/thousands of influences end up getting mixed together subconsciously when they write and play.

Even though I started playing drums when I was 11, I was a guitar player at heart. I would spend hours air guitaring, as if I was on stage, to whatever favorite album I was listening to at the time.

I can air guitar so many classic albums to the tee. Every single note. :D

I never air drummed.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote:That's pretty cool. Thanx.

I guess each person's style comes down to how all their hundreds/thousands of influences end up getting mixed together subconsciously when they write and play.

Even though I started playing drums when I was 11, I was a guitar player at heart. I would spend hours air guitaring, as if I was on stage, to whatever favorite album I was listening to at the time.

I can air guitar so many classic albums to the tee. Every single note. :D

I never air drummed.
No one air drums, it's all about thigh drums.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

working from home today so just got to listen to this on my proper headphones.

There's nothing wrong with the tones at all - sound great. And it does sound like a typical rami tune.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I've got to reiterate the fact that the rhythms are great. They sound like they are using the bridge pickups - mainly because they have that bite and the clarity/highend I associate with those pickups.
Are you boosting the treble on your rig for this? And, on another vein, do you roll back your volume/tone knobs on yours (my bridge pickup is brutally piercing so I roll back both).
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Rami,
Sounds cool, crunchy & yes, a little Beatlish.
What happened at 54 secs and 1.43 as well I think. Obviously a deliberate hole in the tapestry - sounds odd in headphones is all.
I look forward to hearing more.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

ido1957 wrote:I've got to reiterate the fact that the rhythms are great. They sound like they are using the bridge pickups - mainly because they have that bite and the clarity/highend I associate with those pickups.
Are you boosting the treble on your rig for this? And, on another vein, do you roll back your volume/tone knobs on yours (my bridge pickup is brutally piercing so I roll back both).
Hey Ido, No I don't boost the highs. It might just be the sound I'm using that allows the neck pick-ups to not be too dark. I don't know, but it's my Fender Super Champ X2 amp, using a "Vox" patch. I sometimes do roll back the volume knob on my guitar, but not in this song. It is something I've done in recent songs and I am doing more often lately, though.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

rayc wrote:Rami,
Sounds cool, crunchy & yes, a little Beatlish.
What happened at 54 secs and 1.43 as well I think. Obviously a deliberate hole in the tapestry - sounds odd in headphones is all.
I look forward to hearing more.
Thanx Ray. Not sure what you're talking about at those 2 points. All I can hear that you might be referring to is that the chord goes from a major to a minor. Is that what you mean?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Rami - quiet spots - like neither guitar is playing for a moment - or a blip in the system.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Oh, I see. I'll check it out later. It must only be on the MP3 I uploaded, because there are no blips in REAPER. Something must have happened during transfer and I didn't listen to the MP3 before uploadeing. I'll check it out later and re-upload if need be. Thanx a lot.