Multitracked video - "Tennessee Whiskey"

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
paulman

Multitracked video - "Tennessee Whiskey"

Post by paulman »

This one has video of all the tracks except for bass. I accidentally got the bass take I wanted when all I was trying to do was figure out what to play and didn't have the camera running.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQ_Tu- ... e=youtu.be[/BBvideo]
Lt. Bob

Re: Multitracked video - "Tennessee Whiskey"

Post by Lt. Bob »

nice .... I do this song most nights ..... nice job on the vocals
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Very nice, what video editor do you use?
paulman

Post by paulman »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:43 pm Very nice, what video editor do you use?
Thanks guys. I use Adobe Premiere. I'm not fluent with it at all, I just have the whole Adobe package.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Good stuff. Good job on the video and all the performances. This is a cover?
Rebel Yell
paulman

Post by paulman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 pm Good stuff. Good job on the video and all the performances. This is a cover?
Thanks Greg. Yeah, it's Chris Stapleton. The lyrics are an old country song, but Stapleton made it better musically.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

paulman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:49 pm
Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 pm Good stuff. Good job on the video and all the performances. This is a cover?
Thanks Greg. Yeah, it's Chris Stapleton. The lyrics are an old country song, but Stapleton made it better musically.
It's a cool tune and I end up having to play it a lot at the jams I run. But in all honesty, I much prefer Etta James's "I'd Rather Go Blind" which other than the words is pretty much the same song. I mean, Stapleton pretty much Left Zeppelin-ized it, in my opinion.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:33 pm I much prefer Etta James's "I'd Rather Go Blind" which other than the words is pretty much the same song. I mean, Stapleton pretty much Left Zeppelin-ized it, in my opinion.
no .... he made it 'swamp pop' which is a Louisiana term and style of music.
It's basically fats Domino type stuff.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Bill L wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:33 pm I much prefer Etta James's "I'd Rather Go Blind" which other than the words is pretty much the same song. I mean, Stapleton pretty much Left Zeppelin-ized it, in my opinion.
no .... me made it 'swamp pop' which is a Louisiana term and style of music.
I suppose I should have said he stole it, like Zep did with most of the first 4 of their albums. I mean, Stapleton even stole the guitar lick.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:53 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm no .... me made it 'swamp pop' which is a Louisiana term and style of music.
I suppose I should have said he stole it, like Zep did with most of the first 4 of their albums. I mean, Stapleton even stole the guitar lick.
gotcha .... .... Led Zeppelin'd it means stolen ...... .... hahahaha, that's awesome! :lollers2: ......... and you're right.
Very first time I heard it I immediately said, "That's just swamp pop and almost identical to 'I'd Rather Go Blind'.

Although very many of those swamp pop tunes were quite similar ...... one big difference being Stapleton didn't have a horn section which a lot of the swamp pop bands do.

I played with two of the most popular La. swamp pop bands ... Van Broussard and Kane Glaze & Coozan and when I heard Tennesse Whiskey I knew he must have spent a little time in Louisiana.
Seems a shame he got such accolades for something that had already been around for many decades.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Did Stapleton steal it or cover it. I am confused now at this point?

regardless, [mention]paulman[/mention] it's a wonderfully recorded song and i like that you do a video with them. It really shows how much you put into your projects. It's nice to see someone sing and give a shit about their singing. You're feeling it, and it helps me feel it too dude. :like: :like:
:happytrees:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:01 pm Did Stapleton steal it or cover it. I am confused now at this point?
It's the same melody, guitar and feel. They dropped the horns and changed the words for Stapleton's tune.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/u9sq3ME0JHQ[/BBvideo]
paulman

Post by paulman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:01 pm Did Stapleton steal it or cover it. I am confused now at this point?

regardless, @paulman it's a wonderfully recorded song and i like that you do a video with them. It really shows how much you put into your projects. It's nice to see someone sing and give a shit about their singing. You're feeling it, and it helps me feel it too dude. :like: :like:
Thank you so much! It's a weird thing with this song. It's considered a cover. Stapleton doesn't claim any songwriting credit. However, the way he does it sounds nothing like the original, musically speaking. Only the lyrics are the same. Musically it sounds like he was rewriting the Etta James song (which is not credited at all), but I disagree that it's the same thing. The style is exactly the same, but the melody is not at all what Etta James sang. So some might say he was covering two songs at once, but I don't think it sounds enough like I'd Rather Go Blind to call it a cover.

Tennessee Whiskey was written by Dean Dillon and Linda Hargrove. It was first recorded by David Allan Coe in 1981, then by George Jones who I think was pretty much considered to own the song until Stapleton came around. His version is still credited to Dillon and Hargrove.