Headphone Bleed Test.

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Headphone Bleed Test.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This idea came to me from [mention]JD01[/mention]s thread over here

Putting my headphones to the isolating test. I used an e906 casue it was handy i was about 4 inches from the mic. no treatment or compression or normalization to the tracks at all. Just raw. So you may have to turn it up. I set the output volume on the interface at 12 oclock for each set of headphones and that is stupid loud for me. I never track vocals with the headphone mix that loud ever. But for the purpose of this test i just stuck it at noon and called it a day.

First are the ATH-M20's.

20191105 headphone test Audio Techinca ATH-M20.mp3
I guess i use these more for late night mixing. Etc. they sound "good" nothing to write home about. basic headphones. I don't use these for tracking vocals or recording anything that isn't loud or fairly quiet. Just monitors only.

Then the DS-EX25's.

20191105 headphone test Direct Sound Extreme Isolation.mp3
These bastards are loud. Much louder than the the other headphones when placed on my ears, sound quality is a bit shittier though for sure. Or maybe it's better? I don't know. I used the other one for so long i think i accepted them as good and i just know them. I have only had these ones for a year or two now and use them pretty infrequently? Now, i would say they block out inbound noises more than they isolate the outbound signal. The play back here seems barely different to the ATH-M20.

In the end, even though i don't hear any difference here in these sample tests i think i would continue to use the isolating ones for tracking quieter stuff. Simply because of the perceived in ear volume difference at the same volume if that makes sense. I can get more out of the isolating ones with the same bleed. If i had to make the AT's match the same level of on ear output the bleed would be worse in the mic.

Right? :cuckoo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Headphone Bleed Test.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I suppose i could test that last sentiment?? It would take me some tinkering to find that unity between the two headsets. hmm. Science is happening. :like:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Science must wait. I must go shovel the driveway :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have to turn headphones up pretty loud before I bleed>
I'll try this with a MoreMe pair on the weekend.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

It's definitely better with the DS on than the ATH, but neither is bad.
I always get confused when I hear vocal isos of professional and classic recordings and there's bleed all over the place.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Better with the DS, neither is that bad, and I think it's an overblown problem anyway. Some bleed getting into a mic at -50db is no big deal. You'll never hear it in a mix.

I did a drum track one time with the tv on. I forgot to mute it before tracking. Now obviously drums are crazy loud and it was a non-issue, but when mixing at the end of the song I heard the tv in the overheads just as the cymbals were fading out. No big deal. I just faded the track before the tv becomes noticeable. You could do the same in vocal tracks. When you're not singing and there's bleed from the headphones, just gate it out or cut it out. No biggee. It won't be audible while you're actually singing.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm I did a drum track one time with the tv on. I forgot to mute it before tracking.
I think this is the most "drummer" thing you've ever said.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

When I track guitars, I'm sitting right in front of my amp/cab 90% of the time, & I usually use obnoxious levels through my 'phones....Believe it or not, I've actually heard the click coming through the pickup in my guitar at times...

I don't think the bleed is gonna make that much difference really dude. but if it bothers you terribly, you can always edit all the tracks... :biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm neither is that bad, and I think it's an overblown problem anyway. Some bleed getting into a mic at -50db is no big deal.
^^^^^^ this ^^^^

I use open air phones and never find bleed an issue.
maybe if you're putting a delicate acoustic thing over a full band but otherwise no

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm I did a drum track one time with the tv on. I forgot to mute it before tracking.
:lollers2:

I have forgotten many times to mute the monitors before pressing the red button and even then it mostly didn't matter
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Lol. I almost always have the TV on. It's usually Sportscenter or Seinfeld reruns. I'm not one of those guys that has to have a pristine sterilized artsy creative space with mood lighting and oriental rugs and lava lamps. I'm not into all that hokey crap.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The main offender for me is the metronome or click track. That damned thing can bleed into any mic and rear its head any time there's a pause in the music. It usually gets me during the fade out when I'm holding the last note of the song.