Jazz Shredding Ashes

General recording topics.
JD01

Jazz Shredding Ashes

Post by JD01 »

Hey [mention]Armistice[/mention],

I challenge you to record a single take video of the solo section of Kid Charlemagne by 10PM Sydney (1PM Wales) on Sunday 8th September!

Criteria should be accuracy, timing and fluidity.

Can you manage it?

Armistice

Re: Jazz Shredding Ashes

Post by Armistice »

LOL, you mean the very complex guitar solo that you've already learnt to play and I've spent an hour on? Seriously, I got half way through and have not touched a guitar since, because...

... remember when you were renovating, and didn't have much time for music? That's me just now... 🤔

So most of my life at the moment is not spent anywhere near a guitar - not just busy, I'm literally not at home, where the guitars are, all that much. I'll have a go over the next couple of nights after work and see how I go. I may end up conceding if the ducks don't line up.

But if this is The Ashes, there are 5 Steely Dan tests. I pick the next one ...

Also - who's running the book around here? What are the odds, according to the average Rebel? 😉
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:02 am LOL, you mean the very complex guitar solo that you've already learnt to play and I've spent an hour on?
Yeah, but you're into Steely Dan and have been playing it for years. I was going to mention this before - but I've been away.
Armistice wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:02 am But if this is The Ashes, there are 5 Steely Dan tests. I pick the next one ...
Ooo, good shout - doesn't all have to be Steely Dan.
Armistice wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:02 am Also - who's running the book around here? What are the odds, according to the average Rebel? 😉
I actually think you're probably a fair bit better than me but its a good opportunity to learn shit.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I actually do Kid Charlemagne so I'm disqualified ..... plus I'm hunkered down.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:15 am I actually do Kid Charlemagne so I'm disqualified ..... plus I'm hunkered down.
You can umpire, Bob.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well we'll see ..... that's a fairly serious ride in that thing.
I'll be interested in seeing how close ya'll come.

I actually rarely play it the same way twice .... for songs like this I'll usually learn it as recorded but then play whatever the hell I want.
For me, the reason to learn it is to make sure that I get the 'flavor' of the original in my subsequent versions but after a while on these songs I get to where I'm playing something pretty different.
If asked I'll tell people, "I'm playing what they wish they'd played." :lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:27 pm well we'll see ..... that's a fairly serious ride in that thing.
I'll be interested in seeing how close ya'll come.

I actually rarely play it the same way twice .... for songs like this I'll usually learn it as recorded but then play whatever the hell I want.
For me, the reason to learn it is to make sure that I get the 'flavor' of the original in my subsequent versions but after a while on these songs I get to where I'm playing something pretty different.
If asked I'll tell people, "I'm playing what they wish they'd played." :lollers2:
Getting the flavour... the reason I learned it was cos it sounded cool obviously, but also there's a lot of licks in there that are a long way from my usual playing style so I'm learning a new flavour!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You'll be pleased to know that I'm still nowhere near picking up a guitar... just back from GF's place and getting ready for work.

If there are more challenges in the future I'm going to have to leave a guitar at her place... :lollers:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Also that I slept poorly because I was thinking about Steely Dan guitar solos all night. :mad:

Not that one of course, because I couldn't remember it - I was thinking about "Don't Take Me Alive" from the same album. :headwall:

TIred and grumpy at work today, I expect. Like normal... :eep:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:24 pm Also that I slept poorly because I was thinking about Steely Dan guitar solos all night. :mad:

Not that one of course, because I couldn't remember it - I was thinking about "Don't Take Me Alive" from the same album. :headwall:

TIred and grumpy at work today, I expect. Like normal... :eep:
I can't remember how that one goes entirely, just fragments of it... Then in my brain it turns into Santana.

I was trying to play Kid C last night but I was so tired that I couldn't think fast enough to link all the bits together.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I was doing some work on it tonight and ended up snapping an E string. Haven't done that for years. I took that as a sign to pack it in. I'll change the string tomorrow.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:00 am I was doing some work on it tonight and ended up snapping an E string. Haven't done that for years. I took that as a sign to pack it in. I'll change the string tomorrow.
I don't think I've snapped a string just playing since I was about 17.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

:like: Looking forward to seeing/hearing some of these.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 am :like: Looking forward to seeing/hearing some of these.
You cruel sadist.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:47 am
musicturtle wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 am :like: Looking forward to seeing/hearing some of these.
You cruel sadist.
Ha ha. :chillin
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Is this the new recording challenge?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:28 pm Is this the new recording challenge?
Nah, Armi just got me listening to Steely Dan recently and I was discussing how good some of the guitar work was... then we discussed the solo to Kid C and both chatted about learning it... I figured a bit of competition would make us both get stuck in to actually learning it.

I have another recording challenge in mind though which I think could be fun and I'll post it up later in the week.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:46 pm
Nah, Armi just got me listening to Steely Dan recently and I was discussing how good some of the guitar work was... then we discussed the solo to Kid C and both chatted about learning it... I figured a bit of competition would make us both get stuck in to actually learning it.

I have another recording challenge in mind though which I think could be fun and I'll post it up later in the week.
Lol. Ok good. I wanna participate in a recording challenge but I'm not going anywhere near this crap.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:49 pm Lol. Ok good. I wanna participate in a recording challenge but I'm not going anywhere near this crap.
Yeah - I want to post up a challenge that I'll enjoy but also something that everyone can enter and have a go regardless of playing ability.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

That final ascending figure is a bitch - so counter intuitive. 🤔 Think I'm going to change guitars too. Fender / 10s has the fingers in pain. 🥺 Hence the snap! I'll try the LP tonight and see if I can pick the speed up a bit - there's several sections I'm totally not nailing on the Tele, which also needs a neck adjustment, I think.