1 Pair of Free ADAM A7X speakers! Maybe...

General recording topics.
Tadpui

1 Pair of Free ADAM A7X speakers! Maybe...

Post by Tadpui »

A few months ago, I entered an online contest run by ADAM Audio. The contest was to write a 30-second soundtrack to accompany a photograph that was selected by the contest runners. Needless to say, I didn't win or anything (there were thousands upon thousands of entries, and mine was kind of a mess). But something good did come out of it.

A while back, one of the project managers at ADAM in Berlin contacted me, said that they'd noticed my YT channel, and asked if I'd be willing to accept a pair of A7X monitors in exchange for a review of them on my channel. I was suspicious at first, so I checked the domain name of the email against the contact info on ADAM's webpage. And I did at least somewhat verify that somebody by this name worked at ADAM Audio. There is only so confident that I can be that it's not a scam, but it seems to check out. I'm no detective, but at least I'm no dummy either.

We've been exchanging emails for the last 6 weeks or so, and it appears that the speakers have actually shipped as of last week. I asked for tracking info this morning, so I'll be curious to see if he can procure that. Fingers are still crossed that it's not a scam and some troupe of German goons don't come to my house and rob me this week :hitler:

But hey, $1500 worth of really nice studio monitors would be amazing if I don't end up bound and gagged in my own basement or anything. And if the speakers do show up this week, then I've gotta figure out how the heck a person is supposed to demonstrate a pair of speakers to an audience over the internet. One step at a time, though...
Greg_L

Re: 1 Pair of Free ADAM A7X speakers! Maybe...

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 pm A few months ago, I entered an online contest run by ADAM Audio. The contest was to write a 30-second soundtrack to accompany a photograph that was selected by the contest runners. Needless to say, I didn't win or anything (there were thousands upon thousands of entries, and mine was kind of a mess). But something good did come out of it.

A while back, one of the project managers at ADAM in Berlin contacted me, said that they'd noticed my YT channel, and asked if I'd be willing to accept a pair of A7X monitors in exchange for a review of them on my channel. I was suspicious at first, so I checked the domain name of the email against the contact info on ADAM's webpage. And I did at least somewhat verify that somebody by this name worked at ADAM Audio. There is only so confident that I can be that it's not a scam, but it seems to check out. I'm no detective, but at least I'm no dummy either.

We've been exchanging emails for the last 6 weeks or so, and it appears that the speakers have actually shipped as of last week. I asked for tracking info this morning, so I'll be curious to see if he can procure that. Fingers are still crossed that it's not a scam and some troupe of German goons don't come to my house and rob me this week :hitler:

But hey, $1500 worth of really nice studio monitors would be amazing if I don't end up bound and gagged in my own basement or anything. And if the speakers do show up this week, then I've gotta figure out how the heck a person is supposed to demonstrate a pair of speakers to an audience over the internet. One step at a time, though...
That's awesome man! If this is all legit and you don't end up being forced into sex slavery in the Reeperbahn, are you supposed to return them when you're done?
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 pm That's awesome man! If this is all legit and you don't end up being forced into sex slavery in the Reeperbahn, are you supposed to return them when you're done?
The guy said up front that the speakers would be mine to keep. So that'd be awesome!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:30 pm

The guy said up front that the speakers would be mine to keep. So that'd be awesome!
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I had the hots for those speakers for so long! Congratulations Tad, hope it's all legit. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tad that is awesome man. One hand you are getting noticed and on the other you are now among the youtube elite of getting free shit. I dare say you could be filed under #influencer You are on the verge of becoming the Kim Kardashian of the audio nerd world!!!

All kidding aside that is really rad man. I am looking forward to the video.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:04 pm Tad that is awesome man. One hand you are getting noticed and on the other you are now among the youtube elite of getting free shit. I dare say you could be filed under #influencer You are on the verge of becoming the Kim Kardashian of the audio nerd world!!!

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] probably has a sexier butt though.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:26 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:04 pm Tad that is awesome man. One hand you are getting noticed and on the other you are now among the youtube elite of getting free shit. I dare say you could be filed under #influencer You are on the verge of becoming the Kim Kardashian of the audio nerd world!!!

@Tadpui probably has a sexier butt though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:26 pm
@Tadpui probably has a sexier butt though.
Or at the very least he has a human looking non-enhanced butt.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Bubba wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:01 pm I had the hots for those speakers for so long! Congratulations Tad, hope it's all legit. :)
Thanks man! Me too!

Thanks Shan :) I'd be happy even being the Kylie of the audio nerd world :D

And I don't quite have the Kim K butt going, but if beer bellies count, I'm at least half way there.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I do have to admit that I've had this running through my head all day:

Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Good score Tad. Let's hope you like them enough in the review. What else do Adam make that they can toss at you? :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Suppose the only way of reviewing them would be to do 2 comparative mixes, noting the differences and then flipping from mix to mix on alternate bars, describing the differences as you go.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:48 am Good score Tad. Let's hope you like them enough in the review. What else do Adam make that they can toss at you? :lollers:
I'm starting to wonder the same thing :)
JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:20 am Suppose the only way of reviewing them would be to do 2 comparative mixes, noting the differences and then flipping from mix to mix on alternate bars, describing the differences as you go.
Good idea. I've seen Fricker do that a few times. I'm on the fence about how helpful it is to me, but it might be the only way to demonstrate the differences. All the charts and graphs in the world won't really be able to tell the whole story over the internet so I'll have to figure something out!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 pm I've gotta figure out how the heck a person is supposed to demonstrate a pair of speakers to an audience over the internet. One step at a time, though...
I just had a brain fart on the drive into work this morning. I remember in the very very early days of you tube i watched a video on room correction where buddy set up multiple mics in like a 360 "capture every angle" kind of set up at his head level in his listening position. Mics of all kinds. i think there may have been a total of 5? I just looked iti s not even there anymore? He was recording the playback signal through his monitors and then did frequency analysis in some piece of software and then would start adjusting. not sure you want to go that far to investigate freq response within software or not but there is a starting point for consideration.

I did a bunch of videos while doing over my room and sort of did something similar to that, but i don't know that i did it right or as effectively as i could have. I set up two mics smack dab in the middle of my room one towards the "front" and one to the "back" I think it will be better than nothing but my preamp settings weren't really desirable so if you do chose to go that route definitely be a little more diligent at setting the preamp levels than i was.

I don't know if you have anywhere you could rent a few other sets of monitors or friends to borrow some off of or even just set up some home stereo speakers to really get a good idea of how certain speakers sound in your space or not but that could potentially help review them as well if you decided to mic up your listening position.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Sweet action! You've made the big time!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:11 pm i don't know that i did it right or as effeminately as i could have.
:suspicious:
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:00 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:11 pm i don't know that i did it right or as effeminately as i could have.
:suspicious:
:spacepalm:

fixed.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

LOL I saw that too. I've been wondering to myself all morning how one would effeminately demonstrate room acoustics :D

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] I like your idea though. Miking the listening position will definitely be on my list of things to try.

And somehow I wasn't aware that you'd made videos of the process of doing your room! Are they on YT anywhere?
Last edited by Tadpui on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:15 pm Sweet action! You've made the big time!
Hehe thanks Steve! I've at least made the small-to-medium time!