Guitar collecting

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Guitar collecting

Post by Armistice »

So as I own both a Les Paul and a PRS, I'm a member of a couple of Facebook (shut up miro!) groups devoted to the worship of these instruments. And I say "worship" seriously - they really do idolise the damn things.

I joined because I occasionally learn some useful information out about something relevant and there are some people there who really know their stuff.

There are also, however, a lot of people there who seem to have what I'd call outrageously large collections of either instrument/brand, and who come across as posers, always posting pics of their collections at any opportunity.

On the Les Paul group there's a guy there, who regularly posts his collection of about 30 Les Pauls, most of which appear to be quite high end. I mean, to me, a Les Paul sounds like a Les Paul - yes there are variations because of pickups, but there's a fundamental sound you get from one of them. Which is why, having acquired a second, I'm thinking of selling the first. A lot of the variation you get in sound comes from the amp, not the guitar (I'm probably preaching to the converted here...) - so I can understand amp collections, but having 30 Les Pauls?

Similarly, there's a guy on the PRS forum who posted the other day his 4 "faded" PRSs. Faded means they fade from one colour to another - in his case blue to green. Beautiful treatment of wood - not sure how I feel about it on a guitar, but he's got 4 of essentially the same guitar, different pickups, and one had a maple fretboard, but not a huge difference between them. Another guy posted his collection of 24 (from memory) PRSs, as (and we know the colour spectrum with PRS) a sort of rainbow.

How much money do you have to have to be collecting PRSs and high end Gibson Les Pauls in these quantities? People can do what they like with their hard-earned, I guess, but it's alien to me to spend that much money accumulating expensive toys like these. You can't possibly be playing them all and you can't possibly be a professional musician as most of them don't earn enough to support the habit.

/rant :guru:
Bubba

Re: Guitar collecting

Post by Bubba »

In my view, collecting more than one or two versions of one guitar model from one brand is an illness.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The Pontiac GTO was made from 1964-1974. It's always been my dream to have one from each year.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 30 Les Pauls? Sounds great to me. 30 PRS's? That guy needs to be killed.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 pm Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 30 Les Pauls? Sounds great to me. 30 PRS's? That guy needs to be killed.
:lollers2: Good one Greg...

I have 4 guitars, 2 of which I will probably never play again (I'll probably take them out of their cases once every few years to check for rust).
My current are a Strat and a Les Paul. I'm still fiddling with my LP anyway.

A large "collection" is fine - it's your money. I'm sure they just like to show them off on Facebook - so does Joe Bona-what's his name. Even at 1000 apiece, that's 30G. Either the guy is filthy rich, or he doesn't need to pay a mortgage, groceries, student loans, dance lessons, car bills (on and on)...
I have sunk that much in my house in renos alone, so it's just priorities. :drums:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm I'm a member of a couple of Facebook (shut up miro!)
:lollers:

Once you get the habit it's hard to quit. They got you hooked! :lollers2: ;)

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 pm In my view, collecting more than one or two versions of one guitar model from one brand is an illness.
Well then....I have some very serious mental illness going on. :P

I'm a Hagstrom Swede junkie...I have 11 Swedes and 2 Super Swedes at the moment. Plus 3 Deuces (Solid, F-Hole, Whammy) which are basically Swedes with two horns, though they are also a bit thinner in the body. Oh, and I have one Hagstrom Viking. :)

That said...they are not like the same Swede guitar over and over with just a different colors.
4 Swedes are original '70s vintage...those I got purely for the sake of collecting the vintage models.
3 "Select" Swedes, Chinese made reissues, which feature Maple tops, and real Maple binding, and real Abalone inlays, plus each on has a different set of pups, one stock, the other two I swapped.
1 "Northen" series Swede which is a reissue made in Czech Republic, has Swedish pups and different neck radius, Mahogany everything.
1 "Northen" series Super Swede, same deal as above...longer string scale.
1 Super Swede of Chinese make, different pups and with a Maple top.
1 Swede of Chinese make that has P90 pups...all Mahogany.
1 Swede of Chinese make that is all Mahogany, stock pups, but is always strung with 11s...while the others are all strung with 10s.
1 Swede of Chinese make that has a set of mini-buckers from an Epi, and it has a maple top.

So while kinda the same...also each is different either in feel or body make-up, or electronics...and TBH...they all have their individual tone flavor.

The wide radius necks for me are a big item...I hate small radius necks.
The Chinese reissues are all 15" with thinner U neck, and the vintage and "Northen" series are 12" radius with more of a C neck.
This is what I grew up with, and it just feels best for my hand and my fingers.

That said...when I see the 16 Hagstrom guitars all in a row on the wall...it does look a bit OCD. :D
But hey...I also have 4 other guitars that are not Hags....so I'm not totally nuts...I think.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'll play....

I have five usable guitars....or I should say five I like to actually use.

1) Les Paul Traditional Goldtop - I've talked about this guitar much. It's my #1.
2) Les Paul Custom - This is the one I just did all that work on, and it's quickly rocketed up the ladder to maybe even almost overtaking the Goldtop as far as do everything awesomeness.

So that's a paltry two Les Pauls. They're not similar enough to be redundant. If you blindfolded me I could easily tell them apart just by feel and sound.

3) Gibson Angus Young SG - This one was an impulse buy that I got for cheap and I like it, but was never really totally in love with it. Lately, after almost selling it, I've got a new affinity for it and I'm keeping it. It's very cool.
4) Gibson SG 70s Tribute - This one was another impulse that I bought for super cheap just so no one else could. It had mini-hums in it, but I've since yanked one for a real P-90 in the bridge position.

So that's two SGs, both very different from each other.

5) Hallmark 60 Custom - This one's a Mosrite Ventures clone. This guitar is fucking cool as shit, but it's not a do-everything type guitar. It's got a one-of-a-kind-made-just-for-me bridge pickup that sounds similar to a P-90, but a little hotter.

Those are my five regular rotation guitars. At any point in time if you were here you'd see any one or more of them laying around on stands or on the couch. At least one of those five is always within reach.

The others not worth mentioning and/or using anymore are a Fender Strat and an Epi SG.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

There is nothing at all the matter with having as many as you can afford of the guitars you like.

As long as the bills get paid and your kids aren't running around with out shoes, why not.

Some as also collect as an investment. Many are gleefully hoping some of these high end Les Pauls will apreciate like the 58, 59, and 60s bursts.

Well that ship has sailed long ago. However, a couple of grand an a guitar case will retain it's value much more than in a savings account that gets devalued by inflation and what not.
The guitar is a liquid, easily converted to cash, asset that you can enjoy in the meantime.

Some people sink money into cars, model railroad setups, Harleys, all kinds of stuff.

For someone who likes guitars, irregardless of the playing skill they have, it makes all the sense in the world for them to own as many as they can afford.

The sickness is people critisizing them. There are no "acceptable amount of guitar" laws or police.

Have as many or as little as you see fit. Makes no difference to me.
:D
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I've hit somewhat of a dead-end with my guitar purchasing.
My studio walls have run out of room to hang any more guitars! :D
The other day I was taking a look to see what, if anything, I could move/change to squeeze another 1-2 guitars in...and man, it's a real tight squeeze! :P

Oh sure...I could put guitars elsewhere...but I've decided to limit myself to my studio space, and that goes for other shit too, amps, rack gear, etc...
...well, at least for now I'm limiting myself to the studio space. ;)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Time for a home remodel.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have 15 BUT .... they're all different and most are either inexpensive or flat out cheap.
I have 3 Epis that were gifts from wifey ..... several I built ( building a 335 right now ).
In the past I've had the best of the best .... at least one worth prolly half a mil now and a couple that would be 6 figures.

I kinda don't care anymore.

For example, one of my favorites is a Xavier Tele with filtertron type buckers that cast $140 bucks.

I kinda like all guitars.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'd actually rather collect amps and cabs. I know tone is in the fingers and all that, but a lot of it is in amps and cabs too.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Roman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:06 am There is nothing at all the matter with having as many as you can afford of the guitars you like.

As long as the bills get paid and your kids aren't running around with out shoes, why not.

Some as also collect as an investment. Many are gleefully hoping some of these high end Les Pauls will apreciate like the 58, 59, and 60s bursts.

Well that ship has sailed long ago. However, a couple of grand an a guitar case will retain it's value much more than in a savings account that gets devalued by inflation and what not.
The guitar is a liquid, easily converted to cash, asset that you can enjoy in the meantime.

Some people sink money into cars, model railroad setups, Harleys, all kinds of stuff.

For someone who likes guitars, irregardless of the playing skill they have, it makes all the sense in the world for them to own as many as they can afford.

The sickness is people critisizing them. There are no "acceptable amount of guitar" laws or police.

I didn't say people can't have as many guitars as they like, just that buying the same thing over and over again, to me, is like a fox in a chicken coop. Indulging its kill response over and over again, just because it can. :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

It doesn't seem to be as big a "thing" in Australia - possibly because guitars and houses are so expensive. Who has the money for a Les Paul collection.

Maybe I'm just not, fundamentally, a collector - I'm sure I could find alternative uses for the funds require to buy a couple of dozen PRSs, which, thinking about it, would get me a really nice BMW convertible... :mrgreen: Or about 1/20th of a luxury beachside Sydney apartment. (2nd most expensive place to live in the world, apparently)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

If I was loaded I would probably end up being a bit of a collector.... but I'm skint... so I'm not... I can think of at least 5 guitars that I really want but will likely take me the next 10 years to acquire if I ever do.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I am down to three guitars now, two electrics and an acoustic. I want two more electrics but it will take me a long time before I get those, or the right deal comes along. I kinda agree with greg about the amp collecting thing, but Im not rich enough for that either.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My ideal guitar collection would be:

- My current Custom
- A bastard half brother for my custom
- My Ibanez
- A tele (mex would be fine)
- A Les Paul Special Double Cut (came really close to getting one of these at the end of last year but my mrs would have killed me)
- A hollow body (ideally the Chris Cornell 335 in olive but that's just silly) - One of the Ibanez AS/Artcores would be cool.
- My current Martin Ellipse
- A usable bass.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:39 am
Roman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:06 am There is nothing at all the matter with having as many as you can afford of the guitars you like.

I didn't say people can't have as many guitars as they like, just that buying the same thing over and over again, to me, is like a fox in a chicken coop. Indulging its kill response over and over again, just because it can. :biggrin:
No one was pointing fingers or aiming any remarks at you.

Just stating my own opinion.

On a personal note, I have lots of guitars and love them all for different reasons.

Like Greg. I also have a weakness for amps. I'll want one, and I'll swear to sell an existing amp to 'justify' the new purchase. Never happens. And they keep adding on :D

Different flavors, different tones, all good stuff.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Roman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:59 am Like Greg. I also have a weakness for amps. I'll want one, and I'll swear to sell an existing amp to 'justify' the new purchase. Never happens. And they keep adding on :D
Yeah...I try to go with that same mentality...sell one, buy one...but it ends up often buy one, keep two. :facepalm:

I have to say that this past fall I finally broke down and sold two amps, mainly because I just wasn't using them...ever.
I think the last time I used either one to record a couple of tracks was like 3 years ago...and since then I would always go to my other amps.
When I did use them...it was more just so I used them for something...not really because of anything special I got with them. :D
Not bad amps at all. The two guys who bought them are quite happy with them...I just have other amps that work better for me.

Of course...I purchased another amp same time I sold those two, along with a custom build 212 slant...so the empty space was quickly filled up.
I'm wanting to get another amp that I have in my sights...but it's not a cheap one...and I would also want to get a cab with it, but right now, the space in the studio is kinda all filled up...so I may consider selling another of my less used ones, though I would rather keep all the ones I have now.
Of course, I can always squeeze in another amp...if I really had to. :)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I also have about 15 amps and I don't even use amps much anymore!
But I love the things .... especially my early 70's Ampegs.
But the reality is that 97% of my gigs I use a modeler.
I kinda want that new Fractal floor unit.
raphazzz

Post by raphazzz »

I'm my (G)old days I used to have 17 guitars (Fender, Gibson, PRS, ESP, Taylor) usually all high end model. But 99% of time I was using a gibson SG standard. Got married, sold all my stuff and I realized that five is a good set of guitars to cover all my possible needs. Now I have just two guitars and a bass.