So, if effects pedals are snake oil, I'm getting lots of practice wrangling snakes

DIY Studio Stuff
SweetDan

Re: So, if effects pedals are snake oil, I'm getting lots of practice wrangling snakes

Post by SweetDan »

Another photo:
likeDucksInARow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
rayc

Re: So, if effects pedals are snake oil, I'm getting lots of practice wrangling snakes

Post by rayc »

Cappucino, (that's give you the fuzz's froth moustaches and the boosts caffeine kick).
Barista - see above
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

From the look of em I called them Marvin a cross between the TV version and the movie version.
OR
Electronic Sub-Etha Signaling Device
as the fuzz hitches on the boost.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

IMO neither name is good. If I can't tell what it is based off of either of those names, then they're no good to me. I'm moving on. I see it every time I go to a music store - a showcase full of pretty pedals with weird names and I have no idea what any of them are. I'd suggest you avoid the trend of giving them cutesy boutique pedal names. Call it what it is - Hot Fuzz or something simple and accurate like that.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You never fancied a DOD Milk Box or Meat Box back in the 90s then, Greg?

I remember trying a few of these DOD pedals out in the 90s and it was completely random 'cos I had no idea what any of them did, didn't know what the knobs meant and, even if I knew what they were supposed to be, I would have had no idea how they were supposed to be used if they were something other than a drive, flanger or delay
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:20 am You never fancied a DOD Milk Box or Meat Box back in the 90s then, Greg?
Lol. Nope. Let's see...the 90s....I had a JCM 800 halfstack for the early part of the 90s. No pedals needed. It got stolen and then all I had was a cheapo practice amp from then on. I was mostly drumming during all of that time period.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:30 am
JD01 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:20 am You never fancied a DOD Milk Box or Meat Box back in the 90s then, Greg?
Lol. Nope. Let's see...the 90s....I had a JCM 800 halfstack for the early part of the 90s. No pedals needed. It got stolen and then all I had was a cheapo practice amp from then on. I was mostly drumming during all of that time period.
I just had an Ibanez and a Peavy Bandit like everyone else in the 90s!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:35 am
I just had an Ibanez and a Peavy Bandit like everyone else in the 90s!
You could get bad ass Marshalls for damn near nothing in the US during the 90s. Everything was Mesa and dirt pedals and gaudy rack gear during that time. Ugh, the worst time period for tone ever.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:45 am You could get bad ass Marshalls for damn near nothing in the US during the 90s. Everything was Mesa and dirt pedals and gaudy rack gear during that time. Ugh, the worst time period for tone ever.
I remember seeing "good gear" like valve heads and cabs in shop in the 90s and wondering how it was possible for anyone to ever afford any of it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 am
I remember seeing "good gear" like valve heads and cabs in shop in the 90s and wondering how it was possible for anyone to ever afford any of it.
If I remember correctly, Mesa stuff was always expensive. And the rack preamps/power amps were expensive too. The MP1 and I think the 50/50 maybe? Those were the top dogs.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:32 am
JD01 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 am
If I remember correctly, Mesa stuff was always expensive. And the rack preamps/power amps were expensive too. The MP1 and I think the 50/50 maybe? Those were the top dogs.
I still think Mesa heads and cabs are expensive now! But if I really wanted one and had a reason to own one I could save up reasonably quickly...
I wouldn't have had a prayer of getting 1500 quid to 2 grand together for an amp and cab when I was 17 or 18. I got paid 3 quid an hour.

I'd have had to chop veg continually for about 600 hours... given the rate at which I chopped veg it would have taken me 18 months to get an amp and cab if I did nothing else!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:20 am
I still think Mesa heads and cabs are expensive now!
They are. Very. I saw a Dual Rec head at a pawn shop in Galveston for 500 bucks one time. I don't like Dual Recs at all, but I almost bought it just because....500 bucks for a Dual Rec.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:52 am They are. Very. I saw a Dual Rec head at a pawn shop in Galveston for 500 bucks one time. I don't like Dual Recs at all, but I almost bought it just because....500 bucks for a Dual Rec.
I've only played through a Dual Rec once; in a shop in Bristol. It was just instant 90s rock/metal tone.
Foo Fighters live were on the radio in the office yesterday and the first thing I thought was "Ah, Mesa Tone!"
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

rayc wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:48 am ...Marvin a cross between the TV version and the movie version...
I may have a vague recollection of having once heard that there's a TV version of HHG...but I've certainly never seen it.

rayc wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:48 am ...OR
Electronic Sub-Etha Signaling Device
as the fuzz hitches on the boost.
Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:40 am ...If I can't tell what it is based off of either of those names, then they're no good to me...I'd suggest you avoid the trend of giving them cutesy boutique pedal names. Call it what it is - Hot Fuzz or something simple and accurate like that.
"Hitchin' Fuzz"

:cool:

Not bad...but the cream/brown doesn't work (it would be best with rust and chrome, probably).
hitchinFuzzSketch.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I still want it to be a little bit cutsey; "Fuzzy Nose" ?
fuzzyNoseSketch.png
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ha that on'es not bad, but you may run into some trademark shit if you ever get popular. :D
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

he's just making them for friends right now.

I like Fuzzy Nose quite a bit but I'm weird
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Somebody stop me...
freshHotFuzzSketch.png
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. That one's pretty good.

What's with the coffee angle though?
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Thought it would be a clever idea. See also: http://www.therecordingrebels.com/viewt ... 082#p52476 . I bought the enclosures pre-finished (powder coated) in cream and the brown knobs to go along w/the idea. Can't really change the enclosures at this point, though I could order different colored knobs.

Thinking back, though, the sound I was going for was kind of "frothy", not an in-your-face and harsh fuzz, so I think that's really what started it all. But the sound shouldn't be totally smooth; it should also have some potency, some kick, some "caffeine".