Basement Studio Make Over

DIY Studio Stuff
SweetDan

Re: Basement Studio Make Over

Post by SweetDan »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 am ...i took the guts back out, ripped the 1x2 down to nail 1x1 strips and then just fastened them inside and it was game over. Everything came together as seen above.

The only downside to it is you can sort of see the nailing strips through the three layers of burlap. And I can totally live with that at this point. It is the lesser evil of that lumpy look...
Cool. Evolving the idea further, I wonder if using lath strips would still work to keep that nice, tight square edge on the fabric, but show through even less? Regardless, these have turned out very nice looking.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 am ...i took the guts back out, ripped the 1x2 down to nail 1x1 strips and then just fastened them inside and it was game over. Everything came together as seen above.

The only downside to it is you can sort of see the nailing strips through the three layers of burlap. And I can totally live with that at this point. It is the lesser evil of that lumpy look...
Cool. Evolving the idea further, I wonder if using lath strips would still work to keep that nice, tight square edge on the fabric, but show through even less? Regardless, these have turned out very nice looking.
They may! I have two bundles of survey lath i pilfered from my work. But they are all painted very bright colors. It may do a better job. The yare wider yet narrower. Pretty good idea SD. Definitely worth someone trying next time.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice work WJ! I am one who believes appearance is almost as important as function and you seemed to have nailed both here.

I know this is coming from a guy who's studio is made up of old mattresses, leftover kitchen furniture and his son's old computer...but I know good work when I see it!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 pm Nice work WJ! I am one who believes appearance is almost as important as function and you seemed to have nailed both here.

I know this is coming from a guy who's studio is made up of old mattresses, leftover kitchen furniture and his son's old computer...but I know good work when I see it!
I appreciate that MT! Thanks for the kind words.

For years and years i just slapped stuff together for the simple fact it just had to function and i was fine with it. Like yourself mattresses, and filling a space with clutter duffle bags of old clothes and hoodies. As you can tell from the before pictures and stuff it looked like a crack shack. lol. Safely the ugliest room in the house. I had never had a true mancave until we bought this place in 2014! So i talked myself into making a space for me that i wanted ot be in as that sentiment was lost on that space before i started munging it out. I am already really wanting to be in my hideout asap.

Although the time spent in my garage getting to know my tools a bit more and work on different techniques and stuff was equally rewarding as dreaming up a new riff.
rayc

Post by rayc »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSJGrpfnOI[/BBvideo]
Which many believe should be Australia's anthem but some have better ideas...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobSMcB-nMA[/BBvideo]
Personally i loathe all JB's solo stuff and most of the Cold Chisel catalogue (LOVE the debut one though).
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Desk build kicks off tonight.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Desk is on hold till the weekend. A buddy may be gifting me some material.

Last night i started the first of two wall / ceiling corner traps. And i learned a very valuable lesson. I did not account for the thickness of the tshirts when i measured everything out and i shorted myself by a friggin 1/4inch :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :spacepalm:

The next one will be better. But it came together better than i hoped despite my stupid mistake and choice of twisted and bowed boards.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. Dude that's nothing. Looks awesome.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:49 pm Lol. Dude that's nothing. Looks awesome.
I don''t have any rockwool left, but i do have bag of like R21, fiberglass insulation batts that i pilfered from my employer as it was just going to get thrown out during a clean up of the shop. I don't imagine it is as dense as rockwool.

It should be ok though right? I mean there is some value to it's density right? :confused:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I just don't really feel like shelling out for another bunch of rockwool.

Although if did buy one more rock wool thing i could make a cloud thing so JD will shut up about it.

Hmmmm
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pm I just don't really feel like shelling out for another bunch of rockwool.

Although if did buy one more rock wool thing i could make a cloud thing so JD will shut up about it.

Hmmmm
Just get on with it WJ. Why don't you get an actual sheet with cloud designs on it for your basement clouds - its probably pretty dark down there - clouds would be nice.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 pm

I don''t have any rockwool left, but i do have bag of like R21, fiberglass insulation batts that i pilfered from my employer as it was just going to get thrown out during a clean up of the shop. I don't imagine it is as dense as rockwool.

It should be ok though right? I mean there is some value to it's density right? :confused:
Yup, I think so. It's all just insulation, right? I've heard of people making bass trap corner chunks out of standard itchy home insulation.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:04 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pm I just don't really feel like shelling out for another bunch of rockwool.

Hmmmm
Just get on with it WJ. Why don't you get an actual sheet with cloud designs on it for your basement clouds - its probably pretty dark down there - clouds would be nice.
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pmI just don't really feel like shelling out for another bunch of rockwool.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:36 pm Image
I am at a loss. I have no idea how i am going to mount this. I have a drop ceiling so it would be a total shit show to try to use the floor joist behind the ceiling tiles as a tie in point?

I was half thinking of trying to fix something to the studs in the wall in the top and then maybe use some wires or something to in screw eyes to fix it in place but man i am having a real hard time visualizing this?

Help ?
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Looks good! Where are you trying to put that? Wall or ceiling? How heavy do you think it is?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:30 pm Looks good! Where are you trying to put that? Wall or ceiling? How heavy do you think it is?
Wel it is going to be a ceiling corner thing. So ideally i'd like to maybe put it at a 45 degree angle between the top of the wall and the ceiling. Weight? Conserveatively maybe between 15 to 25 lbs. thats broad but might be in that neighborhood? Maybe less but definitely not more than 25.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Looks excellent.
Great recycling.
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:39 pm
liv_rong wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:30 pm Looks good! Where are you trying to put that? Wall or ceiling? How heavy do you think it is?
Wel it is going to be a ceiling corner thing. So ideally i'd like to maybe put it at a 45 degree angle between the top of the wall and the ceiling. Weight? Conserveatively maybe between 15 to 25 lbs. thats broad but might be in that neighborhood? Maybe less but definitely not more than 25.
Hang it from you ceiling, that grid will support it. Then screw it to your wall. There are a million of different ways to make that work. You got this.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

That's not a bass trap.

That's a rock n roll trap :)

Nice job dude! Just smoosh the panels in and nail in that end piece. Glue it. Super glue it. Gorilla glue it. Then slap some duct tape on there and it'll be fine :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This looks great, WJ. Looking forward to seeing the full pics/walkthrough of your room when you're done.