How best to lay this out

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: How best to lay this out

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. No we're just not miserable self-loathing grumps that deprive ourselves of actual living space for no fucking reason. :cuckoo:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 am Lol. No we're just not miserable self-loathing grumps that deprive ourselves of actual living space for no fucking reason. :cuckoo:
haha, there's those corner bass traps that I've found (link on the previous page).
From what I've read, I can skimp a bit on the general pointy/wibbly foam for my first refections 'cos that's mids and highs which is more easily dealt with but for the corner traps its worth actually spending a few quid - is that right?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 am These look like they'd be good for my corners - what you reckon?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/auralex_acous ... coal_4.htm
Those are really expensive. You could make something very similar with rockwool for a fraction of that cost.

Basically, any pre-made sound treatment will cost you way more money than it's real-world cost to make it yourself.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:35 am
JD01 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 am These look like they'd be good for my corners - what you reckon?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/auralex_acous ... coal_4.htm
Those are really expensive. You could make something very similar with rockwool for a fraction of that cost.

Basically, any pre-made sound treatment will cost you way more money than it's real-world cost to make it yourself.
Cool - I'll just take the dimensions from them and make something myself. I'll buy the foam panels.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:17 am
Cool - I'll just take the dimensions from them and make something myself. I'll buy the foam panels.
I strongly believe that sound treatment is one of those areas where DIY is by far the best route if you are even remotely handy with building things. You can make like eight bass traps for the cost of one pre-made trap.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 am I strongly believe that sound treatment is one of those areas where DIY is by far the best route if you are even remotely handy with building things. You can make like eight bass traps for the cost of one pre-made trap.
I'm pretty handy at building shit out of wood providing that it doesn't have to be too tidy.
OK, last question - fabric for covering my bass traps to hold my rockwool in, heavy and thick or really light like bedding? I was thinking that something about the weight of a of one my my 90s "shirt be worn open over a T shirt" style fabrics would be easiest to work with.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 am
I'm pretty handy at building shit out of wood providing that it doesn't have to be too tidy.
OK, last question - fabric for covering my bass traps to hold my rockwool in, heavy and thick or really light like bedding? I was thinking that something about the weight of a of one my my 90s "shirt be worn open over a T shirt" style fabrics would be easiest to work with.
Burlap. Get you some burlap in whatever color you want. Burlap will hold the fibers and mess inside, but not block out any sound waves.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Black burlap everywhere.

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Excellent. I'll get this stuff.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/111355022535?c ... 2698216600
Just thinking - my clouds could most easily be done using a rectangular wooden frame filled with Rockwool. is that what yours is?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 am Excellent. I'll get this stuff.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/111355022535?c ... 2698216600
No, that's way too heavy. Get burlap...or something very similar. You need to be able to breathe through it with no restriction.
Just thinking - my clouds could most easily be done using a rectangular wooden frame filled with Rockwool. is that what yours is?
Yup. My traps and clouds are just a frame, filled with material, sealed in with burlap. There is no back or front to them. Just side framing.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just done some searching - Burlap is called Hessian in the UK - I just ordered a bunch of that. I'll pick up wood for my frames and rockwool this week.

I've ordered enough for two 3' x 2' clouds, four 2' x 2' wall squares and two 3' x 1' corner traps.

You reckon these work just as well as the foam squares with triangles on them? they'll certainly look nicer and be a lot cheaper.
Last edited by JD01 on Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

P.S. - mine are not Rockwool. Mine are the fancy OC703. That shit is crazy expensive but I got it for a super deal. If/when I make more, it will be with Rockwool.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Rockwool is less than 5 quid for a metre squared. (3ft squared). I should be able to get all my treatment made up for less than 100 quid.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am ...enough for two 3' x 2' clouds, four 2' x 2' wall squares and two 3' x 1' corner traps...
We yanks are corrupting you with our imperial units. :lollers:
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Post by JD01 »

SweetDan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:23 am
JD01 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am ...enough for two 3' x 2' clouds, four 2' x 2' wall squares and two 3' x 1' corner traps...
We yanks are corrupting you with our imperial units. :lollers:
I have to with Greg - he'll plead ignorance if I dare uses SI units!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I won't even read anything posted in metric.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:35 am Basically, any pre-made sound treatment will cost you way more money than it's real-world cost to make it yourself.
This ^^^

I had priced out an "acoustic treatment package" for my room and it was astronomical. On the one hand i would have had instant gratification and instantly usable space, which right now my room is less than ideal, but on the other hand i am not going to spend that kind of money on stuff so many people have successfully DIY'd for far less.

If you can build it do it. :like:

I think your room will serve it's purpose JD. You won't be able to mix at blasted high DB's but it will be a nice failry responsive room. :happytrees:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:44 am I won't even read anything posted in metric.
Greg - was in the hardware shop this morning checking stuff out and making some plans for the weekend. By "Rockwool" you basically mean the wooly loft insulation don't you? They also had some harder insulation boards but I reckon they'd be really reflective.

The loft insulation seems to be in rolls that are a minimum 100m (4") thick. Which is cool, I can just make 2'x2' 4" deep frames for the walls and 3'x2' 4" deep frames for the clouds.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am
Greg - was in the hardware shop this morning checking stuff out and making some plans for the weekend. By "Rockwool" you basically mean the wooly loft insulation don't you? They also had some harder insulation boards but I reckon they'd be really reflective.

The loft insulation seems to be in rolls that are a minimum 100m (4") thick. Which is cool, I can just make 2'x2' 4" deep frames for the walls and 3'x2' 4" deep frames for the clouds.
Yeah you can get it in rolls or 2' x 4' sheets. You can see why you need to contain that stuff, but you don't want your covering to be too dense. See if you can find the "Safe N Sound".

Wear gloves and a mask when handling that shit.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 am
JD01 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am

Yeah you can get it in rolls or 2' x 4' sheets. You can see why you need to contain that stuff, but you don't want your covering to be too dense.

Wear gloves and a mask when handling that shit.
I'll just be getting rolls and going at it with a saw or pair of sheers to get it into the sizes that I need for my frames. Its actually super cheap. 18 quid for a roll which is more than I'll need for my 4No. wall panels, 2No. clouds and 2No. corner traps. The hessian (burlap) only cost me 15 quid and I expect the wood, screws, picture hooks to hang them on the walls etc will only cost me about 25 - 30 quid too.

I haven't quite worked out how I'm gonna get my clouds on the ceiling but I'll work it out. I'll probably just stick a little hook on each corner of my clouds and then stick screw hooks into the ceiling.