Music Man Stirling Series

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Music Man Stirling Series

Post by JD01 »

Anyone got any experience with these?
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SUBRAY4BK ... r-in-black

Both my basses are shit to the point of being firewood - one is basically worthless and the other only has any value since I changed the strings.
Anyway, I played on one of these Musicman basses yesterday - just after that purple tolex Marshall - and it felt good, sounded good, seems to have a punchy bridge pickup.

I think "Sterling" is musicman's version of Squire by Fender.
Armistice

Re: Music Man Stirling Series

Post by Armistice »

No, no experience, but are you sure you need an active bass - especially at that price point?

Seems like something that could easily go wrong on a cheapish bass. Just check that it works without the active circuit powered, for when the battery runs flat and it's too late / too hard to get a new one - I assume it would, but you never know.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

haha, shows how little I know - I didn't even realise that it was active!

I just asked the guy at the counter if he could recommend a bass at about 300 quid and he told me that's the one he likes.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Not necessarily a reason not to buy it, just be aware of it. I don't know much about active basses, I just wonder about adding extra circuitry at a cheapish price point, but not my area of expertise.

I thought my Schecter bass was active but I was getting confused with my Levinson 'strat' and when it had a grounding issue I needed fixed and was in damn good need of a set up I took it to this guitar set up guy and said "It's active..." and left it with him, and when I picked it up he said "No, it's not" - felt like a bit of a chump. lollers

Read down the description in the link... "tone shaping" etc. :o
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 am Not necessarily a reason not to buy it, just be aware of it. I don't know much about active basses, I just wonder about adding extra circuitry at a cheapish price point, but not my area of expertise.

I thought my Schecter bass was active but I was getting confused with my Levinson 'strat' and when it had a grounding issue I needed fixed and was in damn good need of a set up I took it to this guitar set up guy and said "It's active..." and left it with him, and when I picked it up he said "No, it's not" - felt like a bit of a chump. lollers

Read down the description in the link... "tone shaping" etc. :o
I just want a bass with a straight neck and a bridge pickup! My needs are pretty minimal really - I wasn't even going out to look at basses.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think an active bass can be good if you're only gonna record with it, and you only record direct. If you're using amps, then I don't see any benefit to active electronics.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bloody hell, just read the description - sounds very complicated.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

it has three knobs .... how complicated can it be?

I see that a lot ...... pedals that have 4 knobs and two switches being described as complicated .... good lord .... no it's not.
I've seen the Fender Jaguar described as needing a college course to understand the switching ..... NO .... IT'S SIMPLE AS SHIT!

lol ....... I'm a geezer ..... we're supposed to struggle with such things but AFAIC there's no such thing as a complicated ax.

Personally I like active basses ..... and that one looks to have easy access to the battery compartment so even if it won't play with a dead battery it'll only be a moment to replace it.
Mine does NOT work when the battery dies and I have to remove screws to get to the battery.
So I just change it once a year .....
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am it has three knobs .... how complicated can it be?

I see that a lot ...... pedals that have 4 knobs and two switches being described as complicated .... good lord .... no it's not.
I've seen the Fender Jaguar described as needing a college course to understand the switching ..... NO .... IT'S SIMPLE AS SHIT!

lol ....... I'm a geezer ..... we're supposed to struggle with such things but AFAIC there's no such thing as a complicated ax.
I am from Wales, mate! minernuggs
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am I am from Wales, mate! minernuggs
lol ............ lollers
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My bandmate has an active bass....I think a DBZ or something like that...looks like a Thunderbird, and it won't work without a good battery. He also has an Ampeg Classic head and 8x10 bass cab, so obviously I like tracking bass over there. Anyway, I went to do some tracks with his bass and it wouldn't work and I had no batteries. I swore off active basses forever.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Holy crap, this is weird. I just posted and it disappeared.

Anyway, I said I have an Ibanez active bass that I love. Nothing complicated about it. 4 strings, a bunch of frets, tone and volume knobs. I record direct into my interface.
Haven't needed to change the battery in about 5 years. Just remember to not leave it plugged in when you're not playing it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

and as someone mentioned .... nowadays a lot of active basses can be run passive when needed.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am I've seen the Fender Jaguar described as needing a college course to understand the switching ..... NO .... IT'S SIMPLE AS SHIT!
Exactly - it has two circuits; one has a volume and a tone on thumb wheels, the other has a bridge pickup switch, a neck pickup switch and a bass cut switch. Simple as F.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Roman

Post by Roman »

You like it? Does it feel and play well? Does it sound good?

Those are questions only you can answer.

Those are the ones that should determine your decision, not our opinions.
:D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Roman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:24 pm You like it? Does it feel and play well? Does it sound good?

Those are questions only you can answer.

Those are the ones that should determine your decision, not our opinions.
:D
Good point.
I was talking to my mrs about it last night 'cos she asked what I'd been up to 'cos she knew I had an afternoon off work. So I told her I was looking at all these telecasters and stuff and that I found one that was similar to the one I tried over Christmas... then as an aside I said that I tried this really nice bass... and she immediately said "Just buy a bass, yours is fucking shit and you whinge about it all the time - it actually holds you back when coming up with songs"
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 pm "Just buy a bass, yours is fucking shit and you whinge about it all the time - it actually holds you back when coming up with songs"
Wait, will this new bass write lyrics? minernuggs drums
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:40 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 pm "Just buy a bass, yours is fucking shit and you whinge about it all the time - it actually holds you back when coming up with songs"
Wait, will this new bass write lyrics? minernuggs drums
No, but I've heard it sings!
Roman

Post by Roman »

I need a bass like that. :D
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 am Holy crap, this is weird. I just posted and it disappeared.

Anyway, I said I have an Ibanez active bass that I love. Nothing complicated about it. 4 strings, a bunch of frets, tone and volume knobs. I record direct into my interface.
Haven't needed to change the battery in about 5 years. Just remember to not leave it plugged in when you're not playing it.
Same here. Ibanez makes some decent low budget bass guitars. They have slim necks which makes them easier for guitar players to adapt to.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.