Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 50W

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 50W

Post by JD01 »

I was actually out guitar shopping and I ended up playing through one of these:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2266BH/gu ... d-in-black

Sounded pretty awesome actually.
Slightly weird amp layout though compared with what I'm used to.
It didn't have pre-amp volume or gain, just a master volume - which was deaf old bastard TV volume at about 2.

But then it had this "dynamic range" button which acted kind of like a channel select into a a higher gain stage.. there were also preamp "body" and "detail" swtiches which just seemed to make the amp sound shit when on anything other that the centre of the dial.

Anyone know anything about these amps. It seemed relatively cheap at 675 quid 2nd hand.
Greg_L

Re: Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 50W

Post by Greg_L »

The detail and body controls are the gains....the idea was to make them similar to volumes 1 and 2 on non-mater vol Super Leads.

Detail - Volume 1 - bright gain
Body - Volume 2 - normal gain
You blend the two as you would with a channel-jumped Plexi. Or just use one or the other.

Dynamic range is like a gain boost.

They're good amps. KT66 power tubes. They're kind of a modern throwback to the very first Marshalls, hence the name. They weren't very popular for some reason and didn't last very long. I think they're pretty cool and can be had now for a steal.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 pm The detail and body controls are the gains....the idea was to make them similar to volumes 1 and 2 on non-mater vol Super Leads.

Detail - Volume 1 - bright gain
Body - Volume 2 - normal gain
You blend the two as you would with a channel-jumped Plexi. Or just use one or the other.

Dynamic range is like a gain boost.

They're good amps. KT66 power tubes. They're kind of a modern throwback to the very first Marshalls, hence the name. They weren't very popular for some reason and didn't last very long. I think they're pretty cool and can be had now for a steal.
Yeah - it was very cheap really for what it was - Purple Tolex too - that's pretty cool.

Not sure it was my cup of tea but it was certainly interesting and if anyone else is after a decent Marshall they might be worth considering - one of the settings had Minerman written all over it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:34 pm
Not sure it was my cup of tea but it was certainly interesting and if anyone else is after a decent Marshall they might be worth considering - one of the settings had Minerman written all over it.
They sound great loud. Those KT66 have to be cooking to really hit their sweet spot. When the VM was new and relevant, guys like Slash and Joe Bonermaster used them live all the time. And I think Slash used them on the second Velvet Revolver album.
Rebel Yell