Supro Reissue Guitars & Amps

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
miroslav

Supro Reissue Guitars & Amps

Post by miroslav »

I got an email from Supro about some new guitars they were releasing...this ties in with the winter NAMM show this coming weekend.

For anyone that doesn't know...the Supro name/rights were acquired by David Koltai a couple of years back. He's the guy behind Pigtronix pedals, which IMO are quite top-notch in build and sound/feature quality. I own several Pigs...so I'm biased. ;)
I've spoken with David a few times on the phone...and he's been a hands-on, willing to help guy every time. For the main guy to answer the phone and talk to people, it's a cool thing.
He's young dude...smart, and I'm sure his biz will blow up really big in the coming years.

Anyway...I've been kinda following his Supro amp revival...and now he has new guitars too. Not sure how any of this stuff stacks up to the vintage Supro gear, but if he builds it like he builds his pedals...it can't be anything but good.
If anyone has tried the new Supro amps or guitars...chime in! :)

Here's a video of him talking about the amps...it's from last year.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyW3-R0rZY[/BBvideo]

https://suprousa.com/
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Supro Reissue Guitars & Amps

Post by WhiskeyJack »

When i was in Houston and on a shop tour with Greg we demo'd a Supro. not entirely sure what model I think it was 30W something or other. Whatever it was got dimed and it sounded pretty fantastic. Pretty sure i saw Supro's in just about every shop we stopped at except for Fuller's. If i had disposable cash i'd definitely get one.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah Supros are always on my "must crank" list whenever I see one out and about, which is often. They're fantastic. I always demo them.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

That's good the know. I've checked out some old vintage Supro's...but not the RI stuff.

The new guitars look pretty decent...cool designs.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Frank Marino, my all time favorite guitar player, and not just because I know him and have jammed with his brother, demoing some Pigtronix pedals.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yFEqB6NMw[/BBvideo]
How do I insert a video so that you can see the video in the message?
Last edited by rammer24 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Use the full editor...and use the video icon (next to the Soundcloud icon).
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Awesome! That worked. Thanx man.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

And then they fuck you and make you go watch it on Youtube anyway. :P
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Shit. Just that video, right? I mean, the uploader has to specify that?
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

:D

Cool video anyway.
The fucker plays good. I like the style of riffs he's doing. I wish he was turned more to the camera so I could better see what he's doing.

I have both of those pedals, though my Philosopher's Tone is the stock black one, he has the limited edition gold painted with script text.
They both are the same otherwise. It's a nice combi-pedal, sustain and drive.
The Fat Drive is...well...pretty fucking FAT! :P
It sounds best on bridge pups and/or a brighter amp...otherwise it can be a bit dark....but in small doses it can still do the job well.

If you want a "sustain like" pedal that also ads some boost & color....the Bogner "Harlow" pedal is really nice. It doesn't over compress like some sustain pedals can, where you initial attack is kinda lopped off.
The real cool feature is the "Bloom" knob which increases sustain, but also lets your notes really bloom out from the initial note.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:31 pmThe fucker plays good. I like the style of riffs he's doing. I wish he was turned more to the camera so I could better see what he's doing.
Yeah, he's great. To not derail the thread, I won't post, but if you just look for "Frank Marino live" or "Mahogany Rush live" on Youtube, you'll find some awesome vids of him. I'll just post this without the video embedded. You'll love it, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0P_DRMFsk
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

You can derail my threads anytime! :D

I always hated that about some people getting all pissy when a thread has segues or completely changes direction...."Please stop derailing my thread...waa, waa, waa". :roll:

For fuck's sake...it's a forum, threads go how they want to go. It's all good.
It's different when someone trolls just to derail...but conversations evolve.
That's like telling every one at a party that they must stay on topic. :P
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I'm with you on that. I just hesitated because this was a gear type thread and I got all fan boy over a guy from my hometown. So, I didn't want it to come off like a selfish derail. :)
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Well...that was a great video...he REALLY can play!
The only mid -'70's Canadian Rock band that I knew of (at the time) was The Stampeeders. :)
A buddy and I were up in Hamilton around '76, visiting his cousin, and he turned us on to them. Wanted to go see them, but they weren't playing when we were there.

Anyway...Frank Marino should have been as big as SRV or Jimi...IMO. Great guitar player.

I saw this one on YouTube...so I'm gonna derail my thread some more...'cus this shows that he could do Jimi as good as Jimi or SRV did...and I love the fact that he plays an SG...instead of a Strat. :D

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPUjWIKAYvU[/BBvideo]
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, that's awesome. Actually, he was kind of criticized for sounding a lot like Jimi, even in his originals. He can do Jimi WAY better than SRV or anyone else. I think he suffered from the syndrome of being a great musician but not having great songs. I like a lot of their tunes, but they weren't universally accessible. Definitely a musician's musician.

More Jimi and some great blues playing here:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/YTzMGVfItZs[/BBvideo]
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

C'mon man..you keep derailing my thread... :D

Yeah...I caught that one too on YT before.
Excellent guitar player. I am quite impressed.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

At 3 minutes into this vid (The first one I posted after the demo), he goes into some jazz mode. What is that? The phrases almost sound off key, but they all end up resolving and sounding right when he finishes them. You know what I mean? Then, he does the tapping and I love those fast muted runs. Fuck, I can talk about Frank's guitar playing all day, man. The red SG is a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0P_DRMFsk
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:35 pm
miroslav wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:31 pmThe fucker plays good. I like the style of riffs he's doing. I wish he was turned more to the camera so I could better see what he's doing.
Yeah, he's great. To not derail the thread, I won't post, but if you just look for "Frank Marino live" or "Mahogany Rush live" on Youtube, you'll find some awesome vids of him. I'll just post this without the video embedded. You'll love it, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0P_DRMFsk
Way, way, way back when I was a kiddy, I got one of those "choose 6 LPs for a dollar" mail order deals, and so I just picked stuff at random - no internet back then - and MH IV was one of them. Loved it ever since. Even replaced it on CD many years later. He's superb.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 pm Way, way, way back when I was a kiddy, I got one of those "choose 6 LPs for a dollar" mail order deals, and so I just picked stuff at random - no internet back then - and MH IV was one of them. Loved it ever since. Even replaced it on CD many years later. He's superb.
That's so cool. IV is their best album for sure. "Little Sexy Annie" is awesome.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Speaking of Jimi. This from Frank's first album "Maxoom". He was just 17.

Who do you think he's singing about? :D[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/am-yfTFCbNg[/BBvideo]