Guitar Strings

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
muttley

Re: Guitar Strings

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:03 am It sounds like you have it perfect, now. If there's one slight thing I'm disappointed in with my build, it's the timber that my neck is made from. It's made from a cheap, light hardwood called Lauan. It's a bit rubbery - a stiffer wood would've been better. It's stupid, because there's just as much work in making a neck out of shit wood as there is in making one out of excellent wood, for a tiny bit extra outlay for the raw material. Why go to the trouble of doing nice binding, pretty inlays, a decent quality fingerboard etc on substandard base wood?
Luan or more commonly Meranti is a widespread mahogany substitute. Its not uncommon for necks but is inferior to a true slow grown African/Brazilian/Cuban Mahogany. It's also 20x less expensive. With a truss rod it should be absolutely fine as a neck timber. The neck like you have are mass produced in Asia where Meranti grows and is everywhere... Paying the extra to buy and then ship an alternative puts the cost of those necks up maybe two or three times.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:12 am
Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am It's almost pink.
OooooOO, that's very modern of you...

I don't know how much wood affects tone, but luthiers who believe wood does affect tone say that maple is the brightest.
Muttley might shoot me down in flames with this because it's not a researched opinion with evidence, but I think timber makes a tonal difference in a neck, but not so much in the body. A neck is long and thin and responds to the string vibration with its own complementary resonance based on the characteristics of the timber used. A solid body is primarily a dense anchor for the strings. It will help with sustain but I doubt it has much to do with tone.
Last edited by Bubba on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haggard Musician :mad:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am It's almost pink.

I don't know how much wood affects tone, but luthiers who believe wood does affect tone say that maple is the brightest.
As a rule of thumb thats true. Its just one more ingredient in the soup though.... A less dense stiffer body wood can do the same as can a change of pickups.. It's all part of the mix.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 am

As a rule of thumb thats true. Its just one more ingredient in the soup though.... A less dense stiffer body wood can do the same as can a change of pickups.. It's all part of the mix.
Is maple also the strongest/stiffest of the woods commonly used for necks? I figured strong and stiff would be best for tuning stability.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:20 am

Muttley might shoot me down in flames with this because it's not a researched opinion with evidence, but I think timber makes a tonal difference in a neck, but not so much in the body. A neck is long and thin and responds to the string vibration with its own complementary resonance based on the characteristics of the timber used. A solid body is just a dense anchor for the strings. It will help with sustain but I doubt it has much to do with tone.
Everything is coupled to the string as long as it is in direct mechanical contact. Everything makes a difference. Its how much o0f a difference and if you can hear it that matters. Neck and body timber would be about equal in normal circumstances. Every piece of timber even amidst the same species behaves differently. A discourse or discussion on the acoustical mechanics of the guitar would take an entire board all on its own. Basic physics prevail;s though.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 am
muttley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 am

Is maple also the strongest/stiffest of the woods commonly used for necks? I figured strong and stiff would be best for tuning stability.
Strength and stiffness are two separate properties. What is important is mass to stiffness ratio or more correctly elasticity. N maple isnt nesassarily the strongest or the stiffest, it depends what and how you are measuring the property. It is the most stable dimensionally which is why it gets used a lot.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

There's a American guy on YouTube that seems to get genuinely upset by the whole Tonewood thing. He clearly thinks wood makes no difference at all and really seems to annoy him when people disagree.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 am
Strength and stiffness are two separate properties. What is important is mass to stiffness ratio or more correctly elasticity. N maple isnt nesassarily the strongest or the stiffest, it depends what and how you are measuring the property. It is the most stable dimensionally which is why it gets used a lot.
Cool, that interesting to know. I imagine its by far the most sustainable too isn't it?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am There's a American guy on YouTube that seems to get genuinely upset by the whole Tonewood thing. He clearly thinks wood makes no difference at all and really seems to annoy him when people disagree.
Will'sEasyGuitar. I sometimes try to watch his videos but he rambles and digresses annoyingly and never cuts to the chase. Sad to say, I feel the same about the Crimson Guitars vids. I have no doubt that the bloke knows his shit, but GOD DAMN he needs somebody to edit the shit out of his videos.

On the other hand I absolutely LOVE "Dave's World of Fun Stuff". :biggrin:
Last edited by Bubba on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am There's a American guy on YouTube that seems to get genuinely upset by the whole Tonewood thing. He clearly thinks wood makes no difference at all and really seems to annoy him when people disagree.
I agree with him on that, even though he's a massive tool.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 am Sad to say, I feel the same about the Crimson Guitars vids. I have no doubt that the bloke knows his shit, but GOD DAMN he needs somebody to edit the shit out of his videos.
Agreed. Crimson's videos are 5% really good, 95% useless rambling unfunny shit.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 am
Will'sEasyGuitar. I sometimes try to watch his videos but he rambles and digresses annoyingly and never cuts to the chase. Sad to say, I feel the same about the Crimson Guitars, vids. I have no doubt that the bloke knows his shit, but GOD DAMN he needs somebody to edit the shit out of his videos.
That's him - I saw one video where he looked like he was about to cry!

Yeah, Crimson rambles and rambles. The rest of the staff are the same, I was down there recently and they just talked and talked - one of those conversations where you say that you need to get going about 10 times before you actually get out of the door. Got to play on loads of their guitars though
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 am
muttley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am

Cool, that interesting to know. I imagine its by far the most sustainable too isn't it?
Only if it's managed and replanted. All timber is sustainable.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Will'sEasyGuitar. I sometimes try to watch his videos but he rambles and digresses annoyingly and never cuts to the chase. Sad to say, I feel the same about the Crimson Guitars vids. I have no doubt that the bloke knows his shit, but GOD DAMN he needs somebody to edit the shit out of his videos.

On the other hand I absolutely LOVE "Dave's World of Fun Stuff". :biggrin:
He has zero scientific background and never cites any research or evidence other than his own. The InfoWars of the guitar world and about as credible.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:38 am

Will'sEasyGuitar. I sometimes try to watch his videos but he rambles and digresses annoyingly and never cuts to the chase. Sad to say, I feel the same about the Crimson Guitars, vids. I have no doubt that the bloke knows his shit, but GOD DAMN he needs somebody to edit the shit out of his videos.
That's him - I saw one video where he looked like he was about to cry!

Yeah, Crimson rambles and rambles. The rest of the staff are the same, I was down there recently and they just talked and talked - one of those conversations where you say that you need to get going about 10 times before you actually get out of the door. Got to play on loads of their guitars though
Us luthier types are like that. We dont get out enough...:)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:48 am

All timber is sustainable.
If only people could understand this simple concept.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 am Us luthier types are like that. We dont get out enough...:)
I was at Waghorn guitars in Bristol recently too getting some set up work done on my Washburn - he could have talked all day too! I suppose that's what happens when you spend all day in a workshop alone.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think it's hilarious how dudes obsess over wood...meanwhile they play through 16 pedals into a high gain amp.

I've always believed the pickups, amp, and speakers play way more role in electric guitar sound than the fucking tree does.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 am
muttley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:48 am

All timber is sustainable.
If only people could understand this simple concept.
Unfortunately they don't. You'd have thought we'd have learned by now
http://rainforests.mongabay.com/09easter_island.htm
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 am
Unfortunately they don't. You'd have thought we'd have learned by now
http://rainforests.mongabay.com/09easter_island.htm
Says the guy with the ebony fretboard. :biggrin:
Rebel Yell