Guitar Strings

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Guitar Strings

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:39 am well, it's actually pretty rare that I like a product enough to recommend it.

In general, TBH, I don't think it matters that much which guitar/strings/amp/pedal you use.

People tend to make anything they use sound approximately the same.

I remember saying at HR, many years ago, that I simply grabbed whatever guitar and amp that was closest to the door when I went to gig.
I got several responses along the lines of "NO professional would do that"
lol ...... I'm as professional as it gets and I don't really care that much what gear I use.

I do really like the NYXLs but I'm out right now so I'm throwing some Slinky's on there ...... doesn't matter ..... it's just strings.
Bob, would you say that the minutiae of tone that we all worry about is far more important when recording than when you're playing live?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:39 am well, it's actually pretty rare that I like a product enough to recommend it.
That's the only reason I considered trying NYXLs. And you were right, they're pretty fucking great. Great enough to me that I don't mind splurging a little extra money on them.

And I do think they are actually 6 dollars better than regular Slinkys. :happytrees:

But I'm happy with Slinkys too. Just not as happy for as long.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:47 am
Bob, would you say that the minutiae of tone that we all worry about is far more important when recording than when you're playing live?
absolutely ..... live, it just doesn't make that much difference as long as you're in the ballpark.
You wouldn't want a mushy distorted sound to play country with for instance.

Also, if having a slightly wrong tone drives you so crazy you can't play for shit .... then it matters .... but if small things make you that crazy, live music might not be the best place for ya'.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:58 am
That's the only reason I considered trying NYXLs. And you were right, they're pretty fucking great. Great enough to me that I don't mind splurging a little extra money on them.

And I do think they are actually 6 dollars better than regular Slinkys. :happytrees:

But I'm happy with Slinkys too. Just not as happy for as long.
yep ...... Greg knows me well and he knows that I'm always kinda 'meh' about what gear to use.
But really, for me, NYXLs were a game changer and I was shocked at how different they were since strings are strings as far as I was concerned.

I'm out so I'll order a dozen sets sometime today ..... there's a reason I pay that much for them.
I'm not made of money so I wouldn't spend it just for the hell of it.

They sound better .... play better .... stay in tune better .... last longer ....... I gig a lot. Often 5 or 6 gigs a week.
For me they're easily worth the money.

But I'm not a fanatic about it ..... use whatever you use ...... just play music.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I have noticed that they have very good stability. I play guitar a lot at home - and when I'm just jamming away I often do a lot of bends and generally fuck about with stuff. I do find that I'm knocking myself out of tune a fair bit less than normal with these.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Also, if having a slightly wrong tone drives you so crazy you can't play for shit .... then it matters .... but if small things make you that crazy, live music might not be the best place for ya'.
Guitar stuff being a little off live doesn't drive me crazy, but if my drums are off, it does drive me crazy. I'm super-anal fanatical about my drums being set up perfectly. They have to sound the way I want them to sound and be where I expect them to be. I never feel like I can get comfortable behind the kit if something is bugging me. I hate playing other people's drums. :drums:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Yeah .... there's a certain amount of festival type gigs around here where it's not practical to get close enough to bring a drum set so backlines are provided.
I hear a lot of whining from drummers over the backline set.

Me ..... I bring my own amp regardless of how far I have to haul it.
Although I use 1x12 combos mostly so it's not like carrying a greg rig.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Had these strings on about 2 weeks now. They're really good.
They're definitely worth the premium over a set of Ball's
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:57 am Had these strings on about 2 weeks now. They're really good.
They're definitely worth the premium over a set of Ball's
I don't know whether I've had a couple of duff sets of Ernie Ballsacks, or whether there's something wrong in the tailpiece of Son of Gobshite, but I've had two E 1st strings come unravelled at the ball end. I'm wondering whether there's a a sharp ridge at the edge of the casting that is catching the wrap of the string and pushing it down towards the ball causing it to become untwisted. :sherlock:

Anyway, I've used a needle file and wet-and-dry to smooth out and polish the exit hole of the tailpiece. Hopefully that will cure the problem. In any case, that was the last of three sets I bought together.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

How is Son of Gobshite playing now? Still fine?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am How is Son of Gobshite playing now? Still fine?
I don't know whether it's my imagination, but it actually seems to be getting better. I think the neck relief adjustment is settling in as I've managed to drop the treble side a little with no ill effects. :coolstorybro:

Two gigs in, I've realised the pickup height is fairly critical on the Riff-Raff, for both tone and output. I think it's a tad lower output than my Yamahas, so getting a similar output without overcooking the bass has been a balancing act. It does sound bloody great, though. :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am How is Son of Gobshite playing now? Still fine?
I don't know whether it's my imagination, but it actually seems to be getting better. I think the neck relief adjustment is settling in as I've managed to drop the treble side a little with no ill effects. :coolstorybro:

Two gigs in, I've realised the pickup height is fairly critical on the Riff-Raff, for both tone and output. I think it's a tad lower output than my Yamahas, so getting a similar output without overcooking the bass has been a balancing act. It does sound bloody great, though. :)
Its probably a combination of it actually settling and you getting more used to it. I felt the same with my custom - I had it re-set up by Crimson the other week and its really great now - I basically never want it to change!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 am Two gigs in, I've realised the pickup height is fairly critical on the Riff-Raff, for both tone and output. I think it's a tad lower output than my Yamahas, so getting a similar output without overcooking the bass has been a balancing act. It does sound bloody great, though. :)
That's true. The Riff Raff's output is pretty mild, so pickup height is very important to get the just-right tone it can deliver.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

It sounds like you have it perfect, now. If there's one slight thing I'm disappointed in with my build, it's the timber that my neck is made from. It's made from a cheap, light hardwood called Lauan. It's a bit rubbery - a stiffer wood would've been better. It's stupid, because there's just as much work in making a neck out of shit wood as there is in making one out of excellent wood, for a tiny bit extra outlay for the raw material. Why go to the trouble of doing nice binding, pretty inlays, a decent quality fingerboard etc on substandard base wood?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:03 am It sounds like you have it perfect, now. If there's one slight thing I'm disappointed in with my build, it's the timber that my neck is made from. It's made from a cheap, light hardwood called Lauan. It's a bit rubbery - a stiffer wood would've been better. It's stupid, because there's just as much work in making a neck out of shit wood as there is in making one out of excellent wood, for a tiny bit extra outlay for the raw material. Why go to the trouble of doing nice binding, pretty inlays, a decent quality fingerboard etc on substandard base wood?
I'm surprised you didn't just go for maple for the neck. Maple is probably the strongest isn't it? Unless you start getting into multi-laminate stuff.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:58 am
Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 am Two gigs in, I've realised the pickup height is fairly critical on the Riff-Raff, for both tone and output. I think it's a tad lower output than my Yamahas, so getting a similar output without overcooking the bass has been a balancing act. It does sound bloody great, though. :)
That's true. The Riff Raff's output is pretty mild, so pickup height is very important to get the just-right tone it can deliver.
Tell you what, the Riff-Raff responds much better to the Crunch Red mode on the JVM. It's less muddy than the Yams so the extra gain doesn't mush into bass. It stays defined, which sounds fucking top-notch on the Pistols stuff.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:05 am
Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:03 am It sounds like you have it perfect, now. If there's one slight thing I'm disappointed in with my build, it's the timber that my neck is made from. It's made from a cheap, light hardwood called Lauan. It's a bit rubbery - a stiffer wood would've been better. It's stupid, because there's just as much work in making a neck out of shit wood as there is in making one out of excellent wood, for a tiny bit extra outlay for the raw material. Why go to the trouble of doing nice binding, pretty inlays, a decent quality fingerboard etc on substandard base wood?
I'm surprised you didn't just go for maple for the neck. Maple is probably the strongest isn't it? Unless you start getting into multi-laminate stuff.
It was a colour choice - I was thinking it would be a mahogany colour. It's almost pink. :mad: I wish I HAD gone for the maple.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:07 am

Tell you what, the Riff-Raff responds much better to the Crunch Red mode on the JVM. It's less muddy than the Yams so the extra gain doesn't mush into bass. It stays defined, which sounds fucking top-notch on the Pistols stuff.
I agree. And even on the JVM's mega-dumb-hair-metal-gain channels, the Riff Raff maintains great clarity.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am It's almost pink.
OooooOO, that's very modern of you...

I don't know how much wood affects tone, but luthiers who believe wood does affect tone say that maple is the brightest.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:12 am I don't know how much wood affects tone, but luthiers who believe wood does affect tone say that maple is the brightest.
I've got two Les Pauls here that disagree with them. One has a mahogany neck, one has a maple neck. The maple necked LP is less bright.
Rebel Yell