First go on this song

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
ido1957

Re: First go on this song

Post by ido1957 »

Mike let me know this morning's upload was 96K instead of 320MP3. Checked Sound Forge and sure enough it was all screwed up.
Uploaded a new 320K to Google Play which I verified is correct.

January 15B - Mix 3
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Well, that opens it up. Sounds way better.

That's hilarous. I once did the same thing at HR a few years ago, before I got my eyes fixed. I couldn't read the drop down menu in REAPER properly, and I ended up uploading a 32kps MP3 instead of a 320kps. I couldn't understand why everyone was saying it sounded so dull, and I hadn't checked it before uploading.

I feel ya. :D
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

This sounds much better.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks Ocnor, much better is a good thing :)
Rammer - good to know I'm not the only one who does these types of things. lol....
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
TK421

Post by TK421 »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:17 pm Here's somethnig I'm working on.

I usually wait until I put drums down, but I changed some things in my guitar set up, so I want to get some opinions. This is just place holder drum machine, which sucks but shouldn't matter right now.

There's a solo that starts at about 2:08, which is what I'm most concerned with. I find that my lead tone is sometimes too piercing or thin. So, I tried a different sound. Let me know how it works.

NIGHT OF THE GIVING HEAD
Whats the meaning of this. Do you have a good explanation as to why you are hijacking someones thread?

Let's not have a repeat of this.

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 am Lol who the fuck is TK421? And why isn't he at his post?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I've been TKO'd!!!!!!!!!!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Actually, TK, if there's a way you can delete the irrelevant posts, that would be great. We already copied them into another thread. :)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ido, just out of curiosity do you have a pass filter or a shelf on the master on this? Bobba took the words out of my mouth about the casette tape thing. thats what this sort of sounds like. Everything sounds really good as it's own instrument but i just feel there top end of things need to have a bit of a bump up.

Not sure what software you are using but i know when i first got reaper, I had a ReaComp on my master bus and i had the "preview filter" check box checked and that seemed to have a similar affect as this on my mixes. That could be something you may want to check out. Or google play is just doing large amounts of damage compression and squishing to your clips?
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice update Gerry.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

WhiskeyJack and Ray - thanks for listening. There's no filter that I can see, but Mike and I were discussing and agree that the lower frequencies need to be looked at (or conversely the highs). The drums were recorded a little differently (ribbon mic OHs) so that's where we will begin. Everything else is pretty much the same as previous recording so our suspicions lie there. We''ll post a new mix asap.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Been trying to listen to this, but based on comments I'm guessing you took it down while you rework it.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

paulman wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm Been trying to listen to this, but based on comments I'm guessing you took it down while you rework it.
Hi Paulman - I think it's still up - Mix #3 at the top of this page. :)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ido1957 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm WhiskeyJack and Ray - thanks for listening. There's no filter that I can see, but Mike and I were discussing and agree that the lower frequencies need to be looked at (or conversely the highs). The drums were recorded a little differently (ribbon mic OHs) so that's where we will begin. Everything else is pretty much the same as previous recording so our suspicions lie there. We''ll post a new mix asap.
Im not sure i love that smileys get inserted automatically. Ill haveto think something else for that little guy.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm
ido1957 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm WhiskeyJack and Ray - thanks for listening. There's no filter that I can see, but Mike and I were discussing and agree that the lower frequencies need to be looked at (or conversely the highs). The drums were recorded a little differently (ribbon mic OHs) so that's where we will begin. Everything else is pretty much the same as previous recording so our suspicions lie there. We''ll post a new mix asap.
Im not sure i love that smileys get inserted automatically. Ill haveto think something else for that little guy.
Just give them the same title in colons, eg :drums:
Haggard Musician :mad:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Your January 15B - Mix 3 is solid...well balanced, and the performances are on the money.

It has a Country Pop vibe...I assume that's what you were going for?
If you "twang" it up just a bit more, you'll have that genre nailed.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:37 pm Mike let me know this morning's upload was 96K instead of 320MP3. Checked Sound Forge and sure enough it was all screwed up.

January 15B - Mix 3
Only just got around to listening to this - sounds great.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Thanks JD01 and Miro - appreciate the listen and feedback. The goal was to get the acoustic guitar in one of our songs for the first time, maybe with a touch of "The Who" Daltry acoustic and Townsend windmills.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:20 am Thanks JD01 and Miro - appreciate the listen and feedback. The goal was to get the acoustic guitar in one of our songs for the first time, maybe with a touch of "The Who" Daltry acoustic and Townsend windmills.
No worries - if you get a chance though, mic up those acoustics instead.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ido1957 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:37 pm Mike let me know this morning's upload was 96K instead of 320MP3. Checked Sound Forge and sure enough it was all screwed up.

January 15B - Mix 3
Way better. Way better!!!!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Much, much better, Ido - it's like night and day! :mrgreen:
Haggard Musician :mad: