Bubba's Guitar Build Thread - 2016/17

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bubba

Re: Bubba's Guitar Build Thread - 2016/17

Post by Bubba »

Thanks a lot, Muttley. It really has been an emotional journey with massive highs followed by horrible self-loathing when I do something stupid. :D

Your advice and encouragement has been invaluable, as I'm sure you're aware.

I don't intend to start on the LPJ for a good while yet, and I'm absolutely adamant that I will build the neck and that it will be set into the body. It seems daunting but FFS, I've made enough fucking tenons in my life!

The strange thing with the pickup combo is that a great deal of the woolly, warm B90 sound is immediately tapped away, leaving a very subtly enriched version of the Riff-Raff sound. They don't seem like an equal partnership in that way, in the way that the character of the Riff-Raff dominates, I mean.

They're not out of phase. I know that because I heard it out of phase when I made a bollocks of the coil split wiring. I liked the sound, but the coil split wasn't functioning properly.

A good mate at my local guitar shop had a look at my wiring, scratched his head, looked up at me and said "I know what I fancy for my tea tonight, now" ( :lollers2: ) then sketched a couple of diagrams. He said that he could get the screw coil to be selected with the split pot, but it might go out of phase with the neck pup. I informed him it was already out of phase and he told me "well problem solved, then!" LOL. :lollers2:

He did say my soldering was very good and solid, but that my wiring was a little.... idiosyncratic. And a bit redundant in places. :D

So, for whatever reason, they work well together, and that's the important bit. :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
muttley

Post by muttley »

I would be interested for my records to know what polarity the screw coil is on the riff raff. They claim that it is the same as the old vintage humbuckers. so north up clockwise, thats what I assumed but also why I left the cover removable incase we need to go north up on the b90. It seems we got it right though.. I will post instructions on how to make a little polarity tester for free on here that may be useful for you and others here in the future. You can make it in minutes with bits from round the house that the missus will never know you repurposed....;)

I assume he wanted spagehtti....:)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm I assume he wanted spagehtti....:)
:places finger on nose and points:

:D
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:08 pm
muttley wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm I assume he wanted spagehtti....:)
:places finger on nose and points:

:D
I bet I have seen a lot worse. Trust me.:)
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Just checked out your pics.
Awesome work man... :coolstorybro: ...I wish I had that kind of touch and focus with woodworking.
My shit is usually industrial grade...I just don't have the skill to take it to that fine finish level...or the time to develop the skill.
Not to mention...you need the right tools. A saw and a hammer ain't gonna cut it. :P

Always admired good craftsmanship. :chillin
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

That's first rate man .... really pretty and I bet it rocks hard.

Bubba wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:49 pm
The strange thing with the pickup combo is that a great deal of the woolly, warm B90 sound is immediately tapped away, leaving a very subtly enriched version of the Riff-Raff sound. They don't seem like an equal partnership in that way, in the way that the character of the Riff-Raff dominates, I mean.

They're not out of phase. I know that because I heard it out of phase when I made a bollocks of the coil split wiring.
Something a lot of people overlook is that you always have phase cancellations when you use more than one pickup simply because of them picking up different sections of the string.
It's sorta like when you use two mics on an amp or guitar, you can move one mic around and there will be more or less phase cancellations depending on where you move it.
Same thing.
That's why, to me, one of the most interesting things about different guitars is how their p'ups work when used together.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I've been struggling this evening trying to sort out certain aspects of this guitar's setup. I've come to the conclusion that the curvature of the bridge is not the same as the radius of the neck. I'm getting fret buzz when fretting at the 8th on the 4th string, when there is still ample adjustment to lower the 1st and 6th strings. Perhaps it's a fret-dressing issue, perhaps not. Also, I think my bridge is 53mm spacing and my bridge pickup is 50mm. I've skimped and I'm paying the price.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm I've been struggling this evening trying to sort out certain aspects of this guitar's setup. I've come to the conclusion that the curvature of the bridge is not the same as the radius of the neck. I'm getting fret buzz when fretting at the 7th on the 4th string, when there is still ample adjustment to lower the 1st and 6th strings. Perhaps it's a fret-dressing issue, perhaps not. Also, I think my bridge is 53mm spacing and my bridge pickup is 50mm. I've skimped and I'm paying the price.
I'm obviously no luthier, but I think getting the frets leveled would be the first thing to make sure is dead-on right. Nothing matters if the frets themselves are all different heights.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Hang in there Bubba, everything is OK. The issues you are having are normal and can be addressed with a little thought and not much cost if any. It's late now but I will give you some pointers tomorrow on where to start and a proper work flow when setting up and troubleshooting niggles on guitar setup.

I will start with truss rod adjustment and neck relief, high frets and saddle adjustment after that. It's a learning curve and your logical brain will get there...
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 pm
Bubba wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm I've been struggling this evening trying to sort out certain aspects of this guitar's setup. I've come to the conclusion that the curvature of the bridge is not the same as the radius of the neck. I'm getting fret buzz when fretting at the 7th on the 4th string, when there is still ample adjustment to lower the 1st and 6th strings. Perhaps it's a fret-dressing issue, perhaps not. Also, I think my bridge is 53mm spacing and my bridge pickup is 50mm. I've skimped and I'm paying the price.
I'm obviously no luthier, but I think getting the frets leveled would be the first thing to make sure is dead-on right. Nothing matters if the frets themselves are all different heights.
It's going for fret-leveling today. Watch this space.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Just got my guitar back from fret-levelling. Finally, the thing plays as good as it looks and sounds! I'm gigging again with it tomorrow - can't wait! :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:56 am Just got my guitar back from fret-levelling. Finally, the thing plays as good as it looks and sounds! I'm gigging again with it tomorrow - can't wait! :biggrin:
Awesome! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:56 am Just got my guitar back from fret-levelling. Finally, the thing plays as good as it looks and sounds! I'm gigging again with it tomorrow - can't wait! :biggrin:
Good to hear Bubba. Nothing better than playing a guitar that's just comfortable and effortless to play. No distractions, no surprises.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Great.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Good stuff.....

Looking forward to sound clips and report on how it goes. Good work matey...
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:33 pm Good stuff.....

I'll try to make that a priority, mate. Plus the other stuff I promised. :coolstorybro:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Wow! Dont know how I missed this but looks incredible! Fuck! Nice job, love the finish! Glad you did that instead of a solid color.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:06 pm
muttley wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:33 pm Good stuff.....

I'll try to make that a priority, mate. Plus the other stuff I promised. :coolstorybro:
No rush mate, just excited that you got it done. Gather some strength for the next build as well while you are at it...