Bubba's Guitar Build Thread - 2016/17

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bubba

Re: Bubba's Guitar Build Thread - 2016/17

Post by Bubba »

Some pics for you to enjoy. :biggrin:

I'm going to start putting this thing together in the next couple of days.

Front view:

P1020023copy.jpg
Back view:

P1020024copy.jpg

And my new MuttPups B90 :biggrin: :smug:

P1020025copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

So how does one go about purchasing/acquiring Mutt*Pups? I think I'm very interested in a set. No, I know I'm very interested in a set.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Bill L wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm So how does one go about purchasing/acquiring Mutt*Pups? I think I'm very interested in a set. No, I know I'm very interested in a set.
I would start by PM'ing Muttley, on here. Or you could email him at the address on my pickup box. :coolstorybro:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm So how does one go about purchasing/acquiring Mutt*Pups? I think I'm very interested in a set. No, I know I'm very interested in a set.
Drop me a PM or just ask right here, it's all good.

Just so you know I did this one for Bubba as a favour. Ive been winding pickups for a few years now but normally just to go on guitars I have built for people. It's only now that I'm starting to get asked to do bespoke pickups for people up front so I'm happy to talk it through....

Lets see what Bubba makes of this one..
muttley

Post by muttley »

Looking good Bubba, cant wait to see it done and more importantly to hear it...:)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wow, very nice Bubba. Nice gloss on that thing. I actually think I personally liked it better as "satin", but that's just me. It does look great.

And fucking hell Mutt, nice packaging. Lol. Very cool little box for that very cool little pickup.

Good luck with all of it Bubba.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 am Wow, very nice Bubba. Nice gloss on that thing. I actually think I personally liked it better as "satin", but that's just me. It does look great.

And fucking hell Mutt, nice packaging. Lol. Very cool little box for that very cool little pickup.

Good luck with all of it Bubba.
Cheers, Greg. Good to see you back on the boards!

Tonight's the night - I've just printed off my chosen wiring diagram and I spent last night checking all the bits fit.

Had a bit of a fit when the B90 wouldn't go in! It was partly my fault - I'd left a little bump on the shoulder of the rout next to where the left-hand lug cutout is. Took two seconds paring with a sharp chisel to sort that, then I realised the springs that mutt provided were a little proud and my rout was a little tight. I had a couple of narrower (but still of the shorter, tapered strong type) springs which I swapped out and now it's as snug as a bug. :smug: :biggrin:

The next miscalculation was that the toggle switch I'm putting in has the switch body in a transverse orientation, when I cut the hole for a vertical one. A bit more paring needed. :facepalm2:

Final trauma is that all my standard pots fit the holes I've drilled, but I bought a push-push pot to replace the bridge tone in order to make it a coil-split. It has a different diameter shank. it's wider. I have to either ream out the hole or buy a different switch or give up on the coil split. :facepalm2: :biggrin:

But the pups standing temporarily in the holes look great.

More later. :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 am Tonight's the night - I've just printed off my chosen wiring diagram and I spent last night checking all the bits fit.
So will it be making its debut gig this weekend?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 am
Bubba wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 am Tonight's the night - I've just printed off my chosen wiring diagram and I spent last night checking all the bits fit.
This week's gig might be off - our calendar and the venue's calendar don't match up! The landlord is busy trying to juggle things around. But if the gig is on, then it will indeed be making its debut! :biggrin:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 am
This week's gig might be off - our calendar and the venue's calendar don't match up! The landlord is busy trying to juggle things around. But if the gig is on, then it will indeed be making its debut! :biggrin:
POIDH... :jam:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

When's it making its forum tone debut?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am

When's it making its forum tone debut?
I'll try to do something this week. :)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I've misplaced a neckplate screw and a bridge saddle screw. How can this happen? I keep parts in boxes as I disassemble them. This is incredibly frustrating.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 pm I've misplaced a neckplate screw and a bridge saddle screw. How can this happen? I keep parts in boxes as I disassemble them. This is incredibly frustrating.
It was me cuz I'm jealous. :hitler:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

She'll be right Bob. Stop, breathe and swear.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

rayc wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 pm She'll be right Bob. Stop, breathe and swear.
Found the neck plate and bridge saddle screw this morning. :not worthy: :smug:

Just realised I ought to have laid all the bits out on the table and taken a photo before I started. :facepalm2:
muttley

Post by muttley »

magnetic dish, Just saying..

Failing that use a small lump of blu tac to keep all your little fixings in one place and free from wandering.

Or do what I do and have thirty years of odds and bobs kicking about the place... :smug:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Come on Bubba, we're hanging here......
Popcorn2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 am magnetic dish, Just saying..

Failing that use a small lump of blu tac to keep all your little fixings in one place and free from wandering.

Or do what I do and have thirty years of odds and bobs kicking about the place... :smug:
That's how I am with car stuff. Experience has made it so I can just throw all the parts and nuts and bolts into a box and just know where everything goes when it's time to put it back together. If something does get misplaced I have decades of spare shit laying around to make it work.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:21 am
muttley wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 am magnetic dish, Just saying..

That's how I am with car stuff. Experience has made it so I can just throw all the parts and nuts and bolts into a box and just know where everything goes when it's time to put it back together. If something does get misplaced I have decades of spare shit laying around to make it work.
Yep, but when I'm working on other peoples guitars I always use a magnet dish. You will probably be aware of how some people are totly anal when it comes to knowing all their parts are the same as when it came to me. Plus on vintage stuff you can seriously mess with value if you lose parts. Collectors are idiots..... Bloody musicians.. What would they know.:)