Sim/Amp Question...

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Sim/Amp Question...

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:09 pm

If you were cool you'd kick some of them my way too.

"IF" you were cool.
I'm super cool.

It's like a million impulse files. So many mics and mic positions. It's gonna take about two hours to upload to my Google drive. When it's done I'll post the link. :robus:

You'll need to use a convolution host thingamajig.

And for the record, they sound good. Real good.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:09 pm

If you were cool you'd kick some of them my way too.

"IF" you were cool.
You'll need to use a convolution host thingamajig.
Whats all this? A what now?
:happytrees:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, for sure. That sounds cool
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Whats all this? A what now?
SIR or Reaverb.

When you get the folder, direct either of those plugs where to find the files. Then pick one, load it in, and rock out.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've used the LePou amp sims. They're pretty cool. For Lipstick's last album, we used that coupled with a Marshall combo for most of the guitar tone.
The lepou cab sim kept crashing my PC tho, so we used the Nadir one instead.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

After asking all these questions, I realized I have a Lepou "Hibrit" amp. I must have downloaded it a long time ago and forgot about it.

So, right now I'm playing with the Hibrit and some of Greg's cab impulses, and I got to say it's pretty tempting to become a sim guy. These sounds are pretty impressive.

The one thing that's attractive about not micing an amp is that, if I can record any time of the day, that wil speed up my output immensely. I often have to wait to record, which is a drag becasue I usually do my best playing/recording/writing very late at night.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm After asking all these questions, I realized I have a Lepou "Hibrit" amp. I must have downloaded it a long time ago and forgot about it.

So, right now I'm playing with the Hibrit and some of Greg's cab impulses, and I got to say it's pretty tempting to become a sim guy. These sounds are pretty impressive.

The one thing that's attractive about not micing an amp is that, if I can record any time of the day, that wil speed up my output immensely. I often have to wait to record, which is a drag becasue I usually do my best playing/recording/writing very late at night.
You see the "PLS" and "MCJ" switch on that HyBrit?

That's clever sim-speak for SLP or JCM. PLS = SLP = "Super Lead Plexi". MCJ = JCM = JCM 800.

So you got two pretty good sims of two of the greatest amps ever rolled into one!

The "PLS Mix" virtual knob is like jumping the channels on a Plexi.

The rest is pretty self explanatory.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Cool, thanx for that. They were the only switches I wasn't sure of. All I knew was the MCJ was a lot heavier, so I used that. I'm having fun with this.

Might have a Fender Super Champ X 2 for sale soon. :D

(Fender amp....what the fuck was I thinking?)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm The one thing that's attractive about not micing an amp is that, if I can record any time of the day, that wil speed up my output immensely. I often have to wait to record, which is a drag becasue I usually do my best playing/recording/writing very late at night.
I think you'll find that's a false economy when it comes to time saving. When I've used sims, I find that I care less about what's recorded ('cos it can be replaced easily) record scraps of ideas with a view to going back to them later, don't ever practice parts, just write them as I got along etc. you get the picture. I'm not saying its a bad idea to use sims if you want to record at night and stuff, I just wouldn't assumed that it will speed up your output... you're already doing pretty well regarding the pace of your output!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:10 pm
rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm record scraps of ideas with a view to going back to them later, don't ever practice parts, just write them as I got along etc.
But that's what I do now. :D

Just joking...I get your point. You're right. It's not as if my recording situation holds me back right now. If I was going to use a sim, though, the only reason would be because it sounds better than my current amp. I'll probably screw around and maybe use the sims for a few recordings, until I buy a real amp that I like.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09 pm
Might have a Fender Super Champ X 2 for sale soon. :D
If you do hit me up .... I'd take it if it was a decent price
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Brother, if I decide to get rid of it, I'll be happy to give it to you. Especially you, because you PLAY. A lot. Just pay the shipping. I'll decide in the next few days. :cool:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:10 pm
rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm The one thing that's attractive about not micing an amp is that, if I can record any time of the day, that wil speed up my output immensely. I often have to wait to record, which is a drag becasue I usually do my best playing/recording/writing very late at night.
record scraps of ideas with a view to going back to them later, don't ever practice parts, just write them as I got along etc. you get the picture.
I get that picture. All to well. I hate that i am the same way. And every three months i'll go back and revisit all my scraps of ideas and fall in love with all of them and surprise myself at how awesome some of the stuff is and not know where to start and then i get pissed off and walk away from them again.

I feel your pain.

At least you have songs up here though. So mega high five to that. :happytrees: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
:happytrees:
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Just FYI,You can download the Two Notes Wall of Sound software and use it 1 month for free. Then you just purchase a couple cab sims and they give you the full software license. To me it sounds much more realistic than the basic IRs that are available for free. http://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound-iii
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Rami, I've got a shitload of different cabinet impulses dude, lemme know if you want me to upload 'em...

I have several different flavors of Marshall, Orange, Fender & Mesa cab sims with several different speakers, mic positions, etc...

I use Amplitube's stompboxes all the time running into my amp, their Boss SD-1 emulation is really close to the real thing...I did a comparison at HR once, & there wasn't a lot of difference between the Amplitube emulation & my pedal...

You can probably get some pretty decent sounds by running an ampsim through your amp, but you'll have to tweak/experiment to find what works best dude...Remember as mentioned to turn the cab sim off if you're running it through your amp...

The LePou freebie ampsims are good dude, I've used those a lot...I could never get his impulse loader to run properly though, but you could use the IR loader in Reaper...

To me, Amplitube 4 has the best sound of 'em all, they've added the ability to choose different speakers too...There is a free version, but it's pretty crippled, & you'd have to spend a little $$$ to get some of their newer additions...The Custom Shop thing is ok, you can demo anything they have with it, before you decide if you wanna buy or not...I have the full version of AT4, & it's good for an ampsim...pricey, but pretty good...

Lemme know if you want me to send you some of those cab ir's...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx Miner. I really appreciate that. For now, I'll stick with what I got from Greg. That's enough to keep my head spinning for a while. Too much choice doesn't work for me, it just confuses me. They're all Marshall cabs, but there are a ton of mics and a ton of mic positions for each mic. That's enough for me. I'm sure with all those cabs I should be able to get my inner Angus happening. :D

Thanx dude.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm Thanx Miner. I really appreciate that. For now, I'll stick with what I got from Greg. That's enough to keep my head spinning for a while. Too much choice doesn't work for me, it just confuses me. They're all Marshall cabs, but there are a ton of mics and a ton of mic positions for each mic. That's enough for me. I'm sure with all those cabs I should be able to get my inner Angus happening. :D

Thanx dude.
It's cool dude, just remember the offer's here anytime... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: