Pickup Choice

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bubba

Re: Pickup Choice

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm I'm about to offer hand wound pickups to all here that want them at cost for a short while in exchange for a few sound clips and reviews.
You've reminded me. I'll do my best to sort some decent in-situ pickup shots and a selection of B90 clips. I don't have great demo-ing chops but I'll see what I can do as regards some clean and crunchy sounds.
Haggard Musician :mad:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:56 pm
muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm I'm about to offer hand wound pickups to all here that want them at cost for a short while in exchange for a few sound clips and reviews.
You've reminded me. I'll do my best to sort some decent in-situ pickup shots and a selection of B90 clips. I don't have great demo-ing chops but I'll see what I can do as regards some clean and crunchy sounds.
No rush mate, put your time and effort into getting the thing playing how you want first. I can wait...
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Mutt, if I really think I'm gonna struggle with it, I might send it to you for the prep, but I wouldn't mind having a crack at this myself - although I will probably ask you loads of questions before I start.
Either is good, I'm always here to help and if you futz it up I can prolly fix that too... :guru:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is what House of Tone were going to make for me
10.5k, Alnico 5 with polysol wire. It's a medium output for a touch of gain but good treb and bass response and dynamic string to string balance.
Comes with 4 conductor wiring, wax potting and lifetime warranty.

I'll want it black (hmmm, maybe a black and cream would look nice), uncovered and it will be mounted straight onto the body with with no pickup ring.

He also said something about the magnet being fully charged or 85% charged and something to do with inductance and that fully charged would probably suit me better.

Mutt,

Can you explain to me what the purpose of polysol wire is? The guy did explain it to me but I can't remember.
I gather that the %age charge of the magnets will change the inductance (I understand the A Level Physics) but I don't know how this affects tone.
Does the type of pole-piece affect tone? Are there choices on pole piece design?
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 am This is what House of Tone were going to make for me
10.5k, Alnico 5 with polysol wire. It's a medium output for a touch of gain but good treb and bass response and dynamic string to string balance.
Comes with 4 conductor wiring, wax potting and lifetime warranty.

I'll want it black (hmmm, maybe a black and cream would look nice), uncovered and it will be mounted straight onto the body with with no pickup ring.

He also said something about the magnet being fully charged or 85% charged and something to do with inductance and that fully charged would probably suit me better.

Mutt,

Can you explain to me what the purpose of polysol wire is? The guy did explain it to me but I can't remember.
I gather that the %age charge of the magnets will change the inductance (I understand the A Level Physics) but I don't know how this affects tone.
Does the type of pole-piece affect tone? Are there choices on pole piece design?
OK, mate, we are running round in circles here.. Noit your fault. I will start up a thread in Mutt*Pups that outline some of your questions on materials and their affect on tone. In short, just likw on a guitar everything affects it some how, how much and how controlable is another discussion.

I will PM a rough cost of what you are after then I will start a spec thread in Mutt*Pups if you want to discuss in detail.

PM on the way...
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

My gold top has P90's in it. They hum like hell but I gate those live.. they record great.