What kind of pick do you use?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: What kind of pick do you use?

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:33 am The songs I play don't require much finesse in the picking department and I'd surely carve through lots of 0.24W strings lamming away with a .88 :biggrin:
I'm with ya there. A .88 would be the absolute upper limit for me. Too thick. I generally like thinner picks, I can play pretty fast, I don't break strings, and my guitars don't go out of tune. Go figure. :coolstorybro: :jam:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Jesus Christ! You two must be ham fisted barbarians!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 am Jesus Christ! You two must be ham fisted barbarians!
Lol. Says the guy with beveled dragonhead shaped 2mm picks. :metal: :robus:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 am Jesus Christ! You two must be ham fisted barbarians!
'S Punk, innit? :biggrin: You can't stand there giving the guitar a candy-arsed tickling. My sexuality would be called into question.

The one I'm using now is in a rather lovely Emo mauve colour.

Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:54 am
'S Punk, innit? :biggrin: You can't stand there giving the guitar a candy-arsed tickling. My sexuality would be called into question.
The one I'm using now is in a rather lovely Emo mauve colour.
All you can do is tickle it with a weedy little pick like that!

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:52 am
Lol. Says the guy with beveled dragonhead shaped 2mm picks. :metal: :robus:
Oi! They're spearheads and they're 3mm. I was playing with my 3mm bone spearhead this morning!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am
Oi! They're spearheads and they're 3mm. I was playing with my 3mm bone spearhead this morning!
Lol for real. You're using a bone spearhead and we're the barbarians? :facepalm2: :biggrin:

Are you wearing a loin cloth while you play with that dungeons and dragons pick?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am Are you wearing a loin cloth while you play with that dungeons and dragons pick?
Ooo, that could be interesting if I start playing live again... a kind of punk-rock Flintstones tribute act.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am All you can do is tickle it with a weedy little pick like that!
Ah, but I'm giving the appearance of giving it a terrific leathering without actually doing any potential harm. :biggrin:
JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 amOi! They're spearheads and they're 3mm. I was playing with my 3mm bone spearhead this morning!
That's not a pick, it's a bit of quarry tile. :mad:
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:45 am That's not a pick, it's a bit of quarry tile. :mad:
They did take a bit of getting used to. My favourite of the spearheads was the horn but it wore down really quickly - it was really low friction though - I find the bone gets slightly more friction. The ebony ones are far too high friction for electric but they are OK on acoustic.

That's why I like the Gravity picks so much, they're low friction, have a good bevelled edge, the stick in your hand and they don't wear down too quickly - they also offer loads of variation in shape. For acoustic I normally use the 1.5mm smooth finish Gravity
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:45 am
Ah, but I'm giving the appearance of giving it a terrific leathering without actually doing any potential harm. :biggrin:
Bingo. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 am
They did take a bit of getting used to. My favourite of the spearheads was the horn but it wore down really quickly - it was really low friction though - I find the bone gets slightly more friction. The ebony ones are far too high friction for electric but they are OK on acoustic.

That's why I like the Gravity picks so much, they're low friction, have a good bevelled edge, the stick in your hand and they don't wear down too quickly - they also offer loads of variation in shape. For acoustic I normally use the 1.5mm smooth finish Gravity
You really need to just come out of the closet and own up to your inherent, obvious, undeniable shred wankerness. :guitarhero:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 am You really need to just come out of the closet and own up to your inherent, obvious, undeniable shred wankerness. :guitarhero:
:shred: I enjoy playing it a lot more than I like listening to it!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I had a friend make me a titanium pick ..... it was exactly the size/shape/thickness of my regular picks and was awesome!

It had a unique sound ..... didn't flex at all ..... just a wonderful lovely pick ...... and titanium is difficult to work with so I know it had to be hard to make and probably took a fair amount of time.
Beautifully polished edges ....... a true work of art.

The only one in the world and totally irreplaceable .......................... I lost it in a week.

:(
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 am
You're like one baby step away from fanned frets and two extra strings.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 am I had a friend make me a titanium pick
There's something about that metal smell that really bothers me. I've had a bunch of metallic picks over the years but after a few minutes my fingers smell like loose change (and I really hate that smell). I have the same problem with slides; I have a few great brass slides that I never play for the same reason. Chrome plated or glass is what I usually end up using.
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 am The only one in the world and totally irreplaceable .......................... I lost it in a week.

I can't tell you how many irreplaceable picks I've lost. :spacepalm: I had a Warren Haynes pick for about 2 weeks before it grew some legs and left me. :lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 am
You're like one baby step away from fanned frets and two extra strings.
I don't mind the idea of an 8 String 'cos you could play it in Drop E so all of your powerchords would be in the same place as standard tuning - would stop my poor old brain getting confused with which chord I was playing.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bill L wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 am I had a friend make me a titanium pick
There's something about that metal smell that really bothers me. I've had a bunch of metallic picks over the years but after a few minutes my fingers smell like loose change (and I really hate that smell). I have the same problem with slides; I have a few great brass slides that I never play for the same reason. Chrome plated or glass is what I usually end up using.
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 am The only one in the world and totally irreplaceable .......................... I lost it in a week.

I can't tell you how many irreplaceable picks I've lost. :spacepalm: I had a Warren Haynes pick for about 2 weeks before it grew some legs and left me. :lollers2:
I have a Ti wedding ring - doesn't get a manky metallic smell.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 am
I don't mind the idea of an 8 String 'cos you could play it in Drop E so all of your powerchords would be in the same place as standard tuning - would stop my poor old brain getting confused with which chord I was playing.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:11 am *vomtastic*
LOL - I thought you'd say that...

Just in case you think I've totally lost the fucking plot - I have no real interest in getting an 8 string or a fan fret. Aside from the fact they're associated with hideous music they just sound like completely toneless wank. They're the tonal equivalent of a deaf person talking.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:14 am
Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:11 am *vomtastic*
LOL - I thought you'd say that...

Just in case you think I've totally lost the fucking plot - I have no real interest in getting an 8 string or a fan fret. Aside from the fact they're associated with hideous music they just sound like completely toneless wank. They're the tonal equivalent of a deaf person talking.
A buddy of mine regularly plays a 7 string; and he loves that NuMetal wankery. Thankfully he also knows enough that when he goes to blues jams he plays blues and not some modal shred shite. I, however, wouldn't be caught dead with one (unless it was a 7 string bass and even then I'm not so sure I'd want to be seen with that either). :cool: