Guitar Strings

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bubba

Re: Guitar Strings

Post by Bubba »

Some rainforest trees won't grow in a plantation setting. If you log the habitat, then that ecosystem is destroyed. Those trees need that ecological web of species to thrive will not grow back. Those timbers are theoretically sustainable but not with the wholesale indiscriminate logging practices that timber companies employ. Careful logging and planting, plus at least a century to any sort of maturity and they might be sustainable. That kind of scientific forest management is not profitable.
Last edited by Bubba on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:03 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 am
Unfortunately they don't. You'd have thought we'd have learned by now
http://rainforests.mongabay.com/09easter_island.htm
Says the guy with the ebony fretboard. :biggrin:
It is fairly hypocritical - I'll justify it to myself by saying that small volume builders have far less impact that mass market builders.

It is shit though, I actually did more research on how endangered ebony is after buying my guitar. Although I did ask him about when I ordered.

I don't think anyone who uses Ebony has the foresight to use it sustainably as it takes at least 70 years to be usable.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 am
It is fairly hypocritical - I'll justify it to myself by saying that small volume builders have far less impact that mass market builders.

It is shit though, I actually did more research on how endangered ebony is after buying my guitar. Although I did ask him about when I ordered.

I don't think anyone who uses Ebony has the foresight to use it sustainably as it takes at least 70 years to be usable.
I'll make drumsticks out of the last ebony tree on earth. I don't give a single fuck. :lollers2:

I do sort of understand the love affair with ebony though. It looks great, it feels good as a fingerboard material. It does nothing for tone. Surely there's another tree out there somewhere that can be manipulated to look and feel like ebony. Or maybe even just as likely, we can manufacture some synthetic shit to look and feel just like ebony....and give us cancer 20 years later.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:15 am Careful logging and planting, plus at least a century to any sort of maturity and they might be sustainable. That kind of scientific forest management is not profitable.
The only way to make that work is really for someone to buy a fuckload of ebony - preferably still alive - as in buy a forest. Start planting more, see what their growth rate is and harvest/charge for it accordingly to make the forest both profitable and sustainable.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 am I don't give a single fuck. :lollers2:
Fortunately some people do or the earth will become a pretty shitty place to live, pretty quickly.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:46 am
Fortunately some people do or the earth will become a pretty shitty place to live, pretty quickly.
Lol! How quickly is "pretty quickly" for the earth anyway? Like, geological quickly? What's that? 2 million years? :lollers2:

Relax. The only way to stop this is for the demand to go away. When you can convince people to stop using ebony, then ebony will be fine. Nature always finds a way. Didn't you see Jurassic Park? :minernuggs:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:54 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:46 am
Lol! How quickly is "pretty quickly" for the earth anyway? Like, geological quickly? What's that? 2 million years? :lollers2:

Relax. The only way to stop this is for the demand to go away. When you can convince people to stop using ebony, then ebony will be fine. Nature always finds a way. Didn't you see Jurassic Park? :minernuggs:
LOL - how did we get from guitar strings to this?! :lollers:

By pretty quickly I mean 50 - 70 years. We're smashing through natural resources at a hell of a rate, there's fucking loads of us, we're not looking after the planet as it is and not making enough effort to plan for the future.

If there weren't any humans the planet would probably sort itself out - I quite like the fact that the planet has humans on it though.
We're obviously going to continue to use Ebony (and other scarce resources) so we have to learn to use them sustainably and responsibly.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:14 pm
Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:54 am

LOL - how did we get from guitar strings to this?! :lollers:

By pretty quickly I mean 50 - 70 years. We're smashing through natural resources at a hell of a rate, there's fucking loads of us, we're not looking after the planet as it is and not making enough effort to plan for the future.

If there weren't any humans the planet would probably sort itself out - I quite like the fact that the planet has humans on it though.
We're obviously going to continue to use Ebony (and other scarce resources) so we have to learn to use them sustainably and responsibly.
You mean like....cutting down trees to make fretboards? Lol. Tree killer!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:lollers: :lollers: :lollers: :lollers: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:

I'll just deposit this here.

:happytrees: :happytrees: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol .... that's awesome ..... let's all laugh at .9'ers
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm lol .... that's awesome ..... let's all laugh at .9'ers
Phwew. Glad I got 8s or you'd be taking the piss out of me.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Haha!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:26 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm lol .... that's awesome ..... let's all laugh at .9'ers
Phwew. Glad I got 8s or you'd be taking the piss out of me.

^^^^^ JD after a fresh set of 8's on his PRS ^^^^^^^^^^^
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

LOL :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

haha
:lollers: