EZ Drummer

General recording topics.
Alison

EZ Drummer

Post by Alison »

Hi guys, sorry I have not been participating much lately. . . life gets in the way sometimes!

I have a question about EZ Drummer. I have figured out how to get individual drum tracks on my DAW for treatment which is a huge step forward but, I haven't figured out how to "humanize" it or how to edit the individual tracks (other than effects, compression, and eq, etc. . .). When I get the individual drum tracks on, I still can't see them.
I'm working on a recording where the drum tracks I have are great as far as high hat and snare are concerned but the kick is not ideal. Is there any way to edit that? I may just have to post the song, then you'll hear exactly what I'm talking about but I thought I'd ask my knowledgeable friends here at recording rebels first. I love the bassline I have for the song and I'd like the kick to "echo" it. (I also hope I'm in the right place to pose this question!)

Thanks, guys, I hope you are all doing well!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
CrowsofFritz

Re: EZ Drummer

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Apparently “humanize” is found in the menu > sound engine > humanize. Also, I’ve read that humanizing only changes the velocity of the hits and does not change the timing, which is a massive part of “humanizing” midi drums.

Did you start with the bass line? If so, you should post in the challenge thread!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think what you mean by "humanize" and what the "humanize" function in EZD is, are two different things. I don't use the "humanize" function in these things, it just makes things sound scrappy - random changes in timing etc. Not sure that's what you're after.

I haven't used EZD but have used other VSTi drums for many years, and there should be a way to get to the individual drums (ie. the kick) and edit it to change the sound, either by substituting a different kick drum, or by working with various envelopes, EQs, compressors, effects etc, but I'm not sure that's what you're after either.

Are you trying to just place the actual kick "hits" (or kicks) in particular places where the bass plays a note? That should be eminently possible by getting at the MIDI track itself, not the output audio tracks of the individual drums and moving the notes into position. Don't know exactly how you do that in EZD but must be possible.

If it's not that then I'm afraid I'm not sure what it is you're actually referring to @Alison - you may need to do some more explaining - are you talking about position in time, or the sound being created. What does "humanize" as you're using the word mean?
Alison

Post by Alison »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 am Apparently “humanize” is found in the menu > sound engine > humanize. Also, I’ve read that humanizing only changes the velocity of the hits and does not change the timing, which is a massive part of “humanizing” midi drums.

Did you start with the bass line? If so, you should post in the challenge thread!
I have looked for the "humanize" function but haven't found it. Mostly what I need to do is change the kick timing to match the bassline. I recorded this song long before I got EZ Drummer :)
Alison

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am I think what you mean by "humanize" and what the "humanize" function in EZD is, are two different things. I don't use the "humanize" function in these things, it just makes things sound scrappy - random changes in timing etc. Not sure that's what you're after.

I haven't used EZD but have used other VSTi drums for many years, and there should be a way to get to the individual drums (ie. the kick) and edit it to change the sound, either by substituting a different kick drum, or by working with various envelopes, EQs, compressors, effects etc, but I'm not sure that's what you're after either.

Are you trying to just place the actual kick "hits" (or kicks) in particular places where the bass plays a note? That should be eminently possible by getting at the MIDI track itself, not the output audio tracks of the individual drums and moving the notes into position. Don't know exactly how you do that in EZD but must be possible.

If it's not that then I'm afraid I'm not sure what it is you're actually referring to @Alison - you may need to do some more explaining - are you talking about position in time, or the sound being created. What does "humanize" as you're using the word mean?
Sorry, not too sure I explained it very well but, I am referring to the timing of the kick. I think I understand what you are saying though about moving the notes (which is what I want to do) I'll check that out in a bit (just woke up!) Thank you!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alison wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:32 am Mostly what I need to do is change the kick timing to match the bassline.
I don't know of any feature in EZD to accomplish that.
There should be a humanize function in the EZD UI itself. Otherwise, if you're using Reaper (and presumably for other DAWs), there is a humanize plugin that you could place before the EZD VSTi (on the channel with the midi). However, that only randomizes timing and/or velocity. It won't sync to any other tracks.
The most accurate method would be to adjust the timing of the midi notes manually to match the kick.
Alternatively, if you only want the kick to hit at the same time as the bass, you could use side chaining: Send the bass to the aux channel of the EZD track. Before EZD in your FX chain, add a MIDI drum trigger effect. have it detect transients on the aux channel and trigger the midi note for the kick (C1 I think?) from that.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

@Alison I did promise that I'd go through this with you. When are you free this week?
I can probably do early afternoon on Friday which is likely early morning with you?
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am @Alison I did promise that I'd go through this with you. When are you free this week?
I can probably do early afternoon on Friday which is likely early morning with you?
Thanks! Yeah, that might work well.
I did find a YouTube video showing how to get the tracks visible in my DAW but, so far, it's not working. I'm missing something, just don't know what it is. . .
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am @Alison I did promise that I'd go through this with you. When are you free this week?
Thanks! Yeah, that might work well.
I did find a YouTube video showing how to get the tracks visible in my DAW but, so far, it's not working. I'm missing something, just don't know what it is. . .
What time in the morning do you think you'll be suitably caffeinated and alert by? And what time is that in the UK?
Alison

Post by Alison »

I can have all my morning chores done by around 8 or 9 am which is about 3 or 4 pm your time. I think there is roughly 7 hours difference.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:11 am I can have all my morning chores done by around 8 or 9 am which is about 3 or 4 pm your time. I think there is roughly 7 hours difference.
Made any progress?
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:13 pm
Alison wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:11 am I can have all my morning chores done by around 8 or 9 am which is about 3 or 4 pm your time. I think there is roughly 7 hours difference.
Made any progress?
Oh my, ABSOLUTELY! Had my head in the cans ALL day today! Still have a long way to go but, you helped me immensely! I can't thank you enough!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Great! No problem