Guitar collecting

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

Re: Guitar collecting

Post by Armistice »

raphazzz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 pm I'm my (G)old days I used to have 17 guitars (Fender, Gibson, PRS, ESP, Taylor) usually all high end model. But 99% of time I was using a gibson SG standard. Got married, sold all my stuff and I realized that five is a good set of guitars to cover all my possible needs. Now I have just two guitars and a bass.
Yeah - I'm trying not to accumulate. One in, one out, I reckon. Refine the collection, but don't expand it unnecessarily.

I've sold, but not collected on or relinquished, an Ibanez and bought a new Les Paul. When I get rid of the Ibanez (how f-ing hard is it to find the missing $275, seriously :shock: ), the old Les Paul is next in the firing line for sale. :|

There's a particular guy on the Les Paul FB group that seems to get a brand new Les Paul every couple of weeks - seriously - he's forever posting the last thing he bought. He must have 50 of the damn things. Only Les Pauls. WTF do you do with that many, with that amount of newbies coming in, and how the hell do you afford it, anyway?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I definitely have more guitars than I need, and more than I actually play. But I don't really have any redundant guitars. Hell, if anything I need one or two more to fill out all of the corners of tone!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 pm I definitely have more guitars than I need, and more than I actually play. But I don't really have any redundant guitars. Hell, if anything I need one or two more to fill out all of the corners of tone!
Pretty much all my guitars except for my custom are redundant. I don't use any of them. I gave my Washburn to a friend a few weeks ago and don't miss it at all.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I'm not a collector, but I think I'm getting the bug for building them. I can see a hand-built LPJ in my future. This time I'll make the neck and set it properly.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:58 am I'm not a collector, but I think I'm getting the bug for building them. I can see a hand-built LPJ in my future. This time I'll make the neck and set it properly.
The LPJ thing is really bugging me at the moment too! I think what I'm gonna do is get a doublecut PRS soapbar to see if I get on with the pickups - they're cheap as fuck 2nd hand. I think I'm over the Mexican telecaster thing.

Crimson have a set of plans for an LPJ available on their website.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:06 am Crimson have a set of plans for an LPJ available on their website.
:o

For free?

Anyway, I was thinking of tapping Muttley for any plans he might have. He was talking about a group build at one point. :coolstorybro: :jam:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:12 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:06 am Crimson have a set of plans for an LPJ available on their website.
:o

For free?

Anyway, I was thinking of tapping Muttley for any plans he might have. He was talking about a group build at one point. :coolstorybro: :jam:
Nah, I think they're between 10 and 15 quid.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:06 am
Is it an accurate Jr? Or is it one of their oddly shaped Jr-ish things?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:07 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:06 am
Is it an accurate Jr? Or is it one of their oddly shaped Jr-ish things?
I don't know actually. Muttley could probably tell you.
muttley

Post by muttley »

I havent seen their plans but if you want cheap plans speak to me first. I have outlines and dimensions for just about everything. You dont need a detailed plan to build a LPJ especially if you want to build one with your sig on it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

BTW if you guys want to do an online build along thread for a jnr I'm happy to organise it.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:29 am BTW if you guys want to do an online build along thread for a jnr I'm happy to organise it.
Sounds good to me. You can flog a few MuttP90s, too. :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:29 am BTW if you guys want to do an online build along thread for a jnr I'm happy to organise it.
Do it. I'd love to watch.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 am
Sounds good to me. You can flog a few MuttP90s, too. :biggrin:
You guys can wind your own. I'll show you how..;)

If you want to take a browse, attached is about the clearest single plan I have. I also have lots of notes on variations and modifications that have come across my bench over the years.....

EDIT: Hmm this place wont let me att a PDF. Not sure why
The_Bachelor

Post by The_Bachelor »

I used to have 10 to 15 Harmony guitars. I had a couple of hollow bodied arch tops that were pretty nice and a "monkey on a stick" pickup I'd use with them. Then we got the traveling bug and sold everything we had and bought a travel trailer. I hated to see everything go.....

Now we've settled down though and started anew....... time for a new collection!!!!
Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:42 am

EDIT: Hmm this place wont let me att a PDF. Not sure why
Try again muttley. Should be fixed.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK here goes...

This is a free plan for a LP jnr that is accurate enough for our purposes.
LPJR Model (1).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

How much money could a guy make drafting plans of guitars? I am an autocad wizard. I need an exit strategy out of this oil and gas shit. It's sucking my life away hahah.

Nice plan Mutt.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 pm How much money could a guy make drafting plans of guitars? I am an autocad wizard. I need an exit strategy out of this oil and gas shit. It's sucking my life away hahah.

Nice plan Mutt.
Not a lot but I can put some jobs your way. Im old school and all my drafting is still pen and paper...