Amp not working

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Amp not working

Post by liv_rong »

My Blackstar head is not working. I used it last week sometime. Maybe it has something to do with what I think was a tube going bad and sounding microphonic? I went through all the normal trouble shooting shit, first thought it was something on the board so I plugged straight in to the amp and it still didnt work. Then I thought maybe it was the guitar so I plugged it into my interface and it works fine. Went back to straight into the amp and nothing. You just hear the normal white noise that normally exists. If I switch to the gain channel though it oddly goes quieter and I can hear a very very faint hint of some signal getting through there.
Greg_L

Re: Amp not working

Post by Greg_L »

Did you replace the t00bz?
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Figured it out, total newb thing. Fuck. I realized that even though I was plugged straight in to the amp that the fx loop was still active on the amp so I removed that variable and the amp worked. Then I tracked it down to a looper I had borrowed from someone and had on my board. This is odd to me but the 2nd time Ive come across it where even though the pedal is plugged in when the battery dies the pedal doesnt work until you remove the dead battery. Weird. I just took the pedal off anyways.

But no, I still have not found the bad tube, been just kind of dealing with it like a lazy piece of shit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm Figured it out, total newb thing. Fuck. I realized that even though I was plugged straight in to the amp that the fx loop was still active on the amp so I removed that variable and the amp worked. Then I tracked it down to a looper I had borrowed from someone and had on my board. This is odd to me but the 2nd time Ive come across it where even though the pedal is plugged in when the battery dies the pedal doesnt work until you remove the dead battery. Weird. I just took the pedal off anyways.

But no, I still have not found the bad tube, been just kind of dealing with it like a lazy piece of shit.
Ah yes, that must be a buffered pedal? I think they become useless with a dead battery, and the batteries quickly die if you leave cables plugged into them.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

couple things

First .... a tube going bad is extremely unlikely to make an amp go silent unless it shorts out in which case it'll blow a fuse..
Secondly ..... are you running this amp silent?

Does it have that as a feature or are you running into some sort of load?