Two Notes Torpedo

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Tadpui

Two Notes Torpedo

Post by Tadpui »

Have any of you guys used the Torpedo Digital or the new Captor? I'm seriously considering getting one after I move, since I'll be in a bedroom for a while. There's nothing pleasant about a JCM800 rip-roaring loud in an upstairs bedroom. I'd end up paying a fortune in fines for being a public nuisance.

If you haven't heard of them, they're a combination load box, attenuator, and speaker cab/mic/room sim. The Digital Live is priced pretty silly at around $1000. But I see that they have (or are about to release, maybe?) the Torpedo Captor for about $230. It's just a little black box without all of the digital features.

I've listened to a couple of online demos and I'm really curious about these things. 100W heads blasting into these things with no noise in the room, and a really convincing speaker emulation...sounds really attractive to me!
Greg_L

Re: Two Notes Torpedo

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm Have any of you guys used the Torpedo Digital or the new Captor? I'm seriously considering getting one after I move, since I'll be in a bedroom for a while. There's nothing pleasant about a JCM800 rip-roaring loud in an upstairs bedroom. I'd end up paying a fortune in fines for being a public nuisance.

If you haven't heard of them, they're a combination load box, attenuator, and speaker cab/mic/room sim. The Digital Live is priced pretty silly at around $1000. But I see that they have (or are about to release, maybe?) the Torpedo Captor for about $230. It's just a little black box without all of the digital features.

I've listened to a couple of online demos and I'm really curious about these things. 100W heads blasting into these things with no noise in the room, and a really convincing speaker emulation...sounds really attractive to me!
I don't have any personal experience with them, but they have a good reputation. Torpedo crap seems to be good. If I had to go that route, I'd look into the Palmer stuff too. It's a little pricier, but I know they sound very good.
Rebel Yell
raphazzz

Post by raphazzz »

If you have loud amp heads, like your marshall could be a very good option, once they have a really good reputation. They are on my sweetwater studio wish list since forever... the list just grows...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Rabea - the bloke with the afro who does all the stuff with Anderton's and Rob Chapman - uses the Two Notes Torpedo stuff and his tones sound great. Helps that he's good guitarist and has great gear too.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

raphazzz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:08 pm If you have loud amp heads, like your marshall could be a very good option, once they have a really good reputation. They are on my sweetwater studio wish list since forever... the list just grows...
I've heard of them before but never really understood what they were. Now that I know, I REALLY want one!
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:33 pm Rabea - the bloke with the afro who does all the stuff with Anderton's and Rob Chapman - uses the Two Notes Torpedo stuff and his tones sound great. Helps that he's good guitarist and has great gear too.
I recognize that guy. Definitely a good player. I'll look up some of his stuff and see if I can catch him using a Torpedo.
Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:32 pm I don't have any personal experience with them, but they have a good reputation. Torpedo crap seems to be good. If I had to go that route, I'd look into the Palmer stuff too. It's a little pricier, but I know they sound very good.
Palmer sounds familiar too, I'll look up their stuff and see what I find. I'm just having pre-studio-loss anxiety about how I'm gonna function :jam:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:31 pm I'm just having pre-studio-loss anxiety about how I'm gonna function :jam:
This is why I went the Kemper route. I still play my amps and record the odd track at reasonable volume, but good loud in an apartment ain't gonna happen - plus there's the "don't broadcast you have an apartment full of guitars and amps" thing too.

You've got me curious about this Torpedo thing now though... (damn you!) :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

This fellow uses it almost all of the time now..
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9BBfTx6yA[/BBvideo]
and other gear into it
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXO_IiNWm_U[/BBvideo]
Torpedo cab
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utaNNLBO9y0[/BBvideo]
this is the page of results of him re Torpedo
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/user/EytschPi42 ... edo+studio[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

The cheap way is to buy a dummy load resistor and a Behringer Ultra-G direct box for around $60. Then download a free IR loader and some free IRs. You will be able to run a 100 watt head directly into your interface silently. This gives you the option of using the Ultra-G speaker sim [which is actually pretty good] or mix and match the IR speaker sims.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tad, have you seen this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ0kdVJmj4I
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:27 pm Tad, have you seen this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ0kdVJmj4I
Ha, yes I just watched that the other day. Maybe right after posting this thread :)