Speaker Question

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
ez_willis

Speaker Question

Post by ez_willis »

I have a dead one. It's a 1-15" Ampeg cabinet and I am getting nothing out of it. My question is, should it be a closed circuit from terminal to terminal? I did a continuity test on it and it's open. Not sure I have a firm understanding of how speakers work, though. Or electronic circuits. lol.
Greg_L

Re: Speaker Question

Post by Greg_L »

It should read whatever ohms the speaker is rated for...give or take a few ohms.
Rebel Yell
ez_willis

Post by ez_willis »

hmmm.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Connect a 9v battery between the terminals. If the cone moves then the speaker is probably ok.
Haggard Musician :mad:
ez_willis

Post by ez_willis »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 pm Connect a 9v battery between the terminals. If the cone moves then the speaker is probably ok.
What would cause it to not be ok? I've blown a speaker before but I can't recall one just being totally dead.
ez_willis

Post by ez_willis »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:23 pm It should read whatever ohms the speaker is rated for...give or take a few ohms.
But on a continuity test should it be a closed circuit? I have the cabinet with me at work and asked an electrician to just do a continuity test. Maybe I should have had him test the ohms?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

ez_willis wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm
Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 pm Connect a 9v battery between the terminals. If the cone moves then the speaker is probably ok.
What would cause it to not be ok? I've blown a speaker before but I can't recall one just being totally dead.
When you say you blew a speaker, did you break the cone or burn out the coil? If the coil is broken then it won't pass any current. Basically, a speaker is a coil of wire stuck to the bottom of a paper cone. The coil is immersed in a strong magnetic field. When you pass a current through the coil it produces movement which is translated by the cone into sound waves. If the wire is broken then there is no current flowing and no movement. Sorry if you already know all this.
Haggard Musician :mad:
ez_willis

Post by ez_willis »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:55 pmWhen you say you blew a speaker, did you break the cone or burn out the coil? If the coil is broken then it won't pass any current. Basically, a speaker is a coil of wire stuck to the bottom of a paper cone. The coil is immersed in a strong magnetic field. When you pass a current through the coil it produces movement which is translated by the cone into sound waves. If the wire is broken then there is no current flowing and no movement. Sorry if you already know all this.
This is what I was looking for. This speaker isn't doing anything. No sound at all. I didn't pull the grill at rehearsal last night so I didn't actually check movement but there was no sound.

And it sounds like on a functioning speaker if I do a continuity test from one terminal to the other it should be a closed circuit right? This is my question.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ez_willis wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 pm

This is what I was looking for. This speaker isn't doing anything. No sound at all. I didn't pull the grill at rehearsal last night so I didn't actually check movement but there was no sound.

And it sounds like on a functioning speaker if I do a continuity test from one terminal to the other it should be a closed circuit right? This is my question.
It should have continuity, but at a specific resistance. What Bubba said is also true - a coil can pass current but not move the paper. With the battery test you can easily see the cone jump back and forth if all is well. If you use a "beep" continuity tester, that will show you continuity, but only tell a tiny piece of the whole picture.
Rebel Yell
ez_willis

Post by ez_willis »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:59 pm With the battery test you can easily see the cone jump back and forth if all is well. If you use a "beep" continuity tester, that will show you continuity, but only tell a tiny piece of the whole picture.
I think I know what you mean. I'm probably not explaining it correctly. No matter what, if the circuit isn't closed between the two terminals the speaker is dead. Correct?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ez_willis wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:05 pm

I think I know what you mean. I'm probably not explaining it correctly. No matter what, if the circuit isn't closed between the two terminals the speaker is dead. Correct?
Yes, I think that would be a problem no matter what shape the cone is in.
Rebel Yell
ez_willis

Post by ez_willis »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:11 pm Yes, I think that would be a problem no matter what shape the cone is in.
Perfect. Thanks.