NBD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
ido1957

NBD

Post by ido1957 »

Mike got a new Elite Precision yesterday - mint, used and $1000 off the regular price.
Replacement for his Reggie bass which needs a new neck. We'll post a sample with the next tune....
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: NBD

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ido thats looks slick man. Best of all worlds right there. We don't have enough bassit love around here. I should start getting more involved in the low end world. We got enough guitar players and drummers.

Stoked to hear what it sounds like.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Nice! I want a bass.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I nearly had an NBD this week. Came to my senses. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Very nice man!!! I have to admit, I need another bass...The $100 pawn-shop special I have has served it's purpose & does great for what it is...Over the years, I've upgraded all my gear, except my bass...

Whenever I do get another, I'll most likely go with one of the Squier 5-strings...

Nice man!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I would like to get a short-scale bass.
Right now I have two long-scale basses...my Ibanez Blazer from the late '70s, which is my go-to bass, set up with flatwounds...and an Epi Thunderbird in that classic dark tobacco burst, set up with roundwounds...but I just always prefer the Ibanez, so the T-bird hasn't been used much at all since I got it.
I would like to lose the T-bird and replace it with a short-scale.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

miroslav wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 pm I would like to get a short-scale bass.
Right now I have two long-scale basses...my Ibanez Blazer from the late '70s, which is my go-to bass, set up with flatwounds...and an Epi Thunderbird in that classic dark tobacco burst, set up with roundwounds...but I just always prefer the Ibanez, so the T-bird hasn't been used much at all since I got it.
I would like to lose the T-bird and replace it with a short-scale.
A friend if mine just picked up a Mustang PJ bass and it is a pretty sexy little piece of kit. So much so i may look into one myself or a kit a build my own maybe? I dunno. But i played so nice amd effortlessly. I didnt plug it in to be fair but i felt so nice

I hated my tbird to be honest. I kept it for a year then got my pbass.
:happytrees:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I had a chance to play around with it for a few minutes yesterday and it is a great player. The compound neck is cool and narrow like a Jazz, and the tonal varieties are extensive as it is active (though we record passive). I played in a duo decades ago using an Ibanez Roadster which was good. Mike has 6 different basses but I have small hands and short fingers so the Jazz's are the only ones I can even navigate, poorly at that.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 pm

A friend if mine just picked up a Mustang PJ bass and it is a pretty sexy little piece of kit. So much so i may look into one myself or a kit a build my own maybe? I dunno. But i played so nice amd effortlessly. I didnt plug it in to be fair but i felt so nice

I love short scale basses. So easy to play. My bass player has a 65 Mosrite Ventures bass that is a fucking dream to play. Skinny neck, 30" scale length. So awesome. He never plays it because he thinks he's gonna break it. I'd never not play it. If I had one of those I might actually consider being a bass player.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:16 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 pm

I love short scale basses. So easy to play. My bass player has a 65 Mosrite Ventures bass that is a fucking dream to play. Skinny neck, 30" scale length. So awesome. He never plays it because he thinks he's gonna break it. I'd never not play it. If I had one of those I might actually consider being a bass player.
That must be worth a fortune!

I've been playing my bass a lot the last couple of days - I still hate it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:31 am
That must be worth a fortune!
It's not. His is a restored reclamation from the dead. It's nice now, and beautiful, but most of it's original value is probably gone. The body and neck are original. The rest of it are new and old Mosrite parts scrounged from around the universe. But even with all that, it's still probably worth around $1500-$2000.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I started on a short scale - I'm short & have small hands. That bass was stolen. I've used full scale basses since then until my wife bought me a short scale cheapie 15 months ago.
I now have a Vantage solid body, an Emperador semi acoustic, a no name 5 string acoustic bass and the newish short scale semi acoustic Hofner copy, (looks like the same manufacturer as Harley Benton). The Vantage is the one I record with and the short scale is the one sitting on a stand for ideas & sketches.
I was looking at buying a Epi EB short scale or a Fender with the ashtray bridge cover & pick up guard. but I don't think a 5th bass is really justifiable.
Tell Mike I'm jealous Gerry. I looks great.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

rayc wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 pm I started on a short scale - I'm short & have small hands. That bass was stolen. I've used full scale basses since then until my wife bought me a short scale cheapie 15 months ago.
I now have a Vantage solid body, an Emperador semi acoustic, a no name 5 string acoustic bass and the newish short scale semi acoustic Hofner copy, (looks like the same manufacturer as Harley Benton). The Vantage is the one I record with and the short scale is the one sitting on a stand for ideas & sketches.
I was looking at buying a Epi EB short scale or a Fender with the ashtray bridge cover & pick up guard. but I don't think a 5th bass is really justifiable.
Tell Mike I'm jealous Gerry. I looks great.
Will do :coolstorybro:
His Reggie is going to need a new neck but he may just retire it as this bass has everything the Reggie has but a better build and nicer tones.
I liken it to my EC - it just plays and sound good all the time. Effortless and inspiring.