Open back - Closed back Cabs

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Audio Monster

Open back - Closed back Cabs

Post by Audio Monster »

Do you have a preference to either open back guitar cabinets to closed?

Most of mine are partially open IE the top half. I have a few closed combos but when it comes to separate cabs that I will be recording with I prefer a partially open back should I choose to slap a second mic back there. That and I do prefer the sound of the open in general :metal:
Greg_L

Re: Open back - Closed back Cabs

Post by Greg_L »

Closed back for me.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I have both...because they came way with the matching amp head...though if I was just getting a cab, I would opt either for closed or one of the "convertible" ones...which is what I did with the custom Sourmash 212 slant I I got this past fall.
I basically just keep it closed...but hey, if there's ever a reason to want it open, I can remove the back panel.

You get a bit more control with closed cabs...what's coming out the front is what you got and the back wall is irrelevant for the most part...but, open back cabs in certain situations can really sound great too.
I think for a smallish 112...open back can help give it a bigger sound when placed well near a wall.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »