Balls Out Rock N Roll!

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Mr Clean

Balls Out Rock N Roll!

Post by Mr Clean »

This is a work in progress. Stepping out of my comfort zone again as I'm really not an electric guitar player. I know sweet F A about guitar tones or anything to do with electric guitars but since getting my old Les Paul Copy back, I've really enjoy playing it and every time I pick it up, a riff of some kind seems to find it's way into my hands. Such fun to play.

I really like this riff so I thought I'd work with it and write the song around it, working backwards with the music first before writing a lyric. This is what I have so far. The drums are just programmed at the minute but I will redo them and play them myself. Double tracked guitars on the main riff, another guitar playing a rough rhythm and a bass. Trying to keep it short and simple, fast and to the point.

How'm I doing? :coolstorybro:
First Draft Mix
New Track Test Mix 1.mp3
Forth Mix
New Track Test Mix 4.mp3
Seventh Mix
New Track Test Mix 7.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr Clean on Wed May 22, 2024 8:01 am, edited 9 times in total.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:

Mr Clean Sound Cloud
CrowsofFritz

Re: Balls Out Rock N Roll!

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I really like the tone just coming out of my phone speaker. I’ll have to come back to this with my good headphones/speakers.

At first it sounds like the guitar is way overpowering, but that could be the mid bell my phone speakers like to put out.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Sounds alright to me. The bass and the guitar sound like they're very far apart from each other, like there should be some more mid low notes happening to glue them together. How high are you playing the guitar parts as is?
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

I need to replay the bass, I think. I played most of it on the D string of a Rickenbacker copy and it just a bit too guitarish, for want of a better word. It's not got the bottom end sound I need. I'll pull out the Fender Precision later and re-track that.

Mr Clean Sound Cloud
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Mr Clean wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:24 pm I need to replay the bass, I think. I played most of it on the D string of a Rickenbacker copy and it just a bit too guitarish, for want of a better word. It's not got the bottom end sound I need. I'll pull out the Fender Precision later and re-track that.
Oooh, what’s the Ric copy?
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

1979 Shaftesbury. :coolstorybro:
FB_IMG_1699897520667.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr Clean Sound Cloud
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Mr Clean wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:36 pm 1979 Shaftesbury. :coolstorybro:

FB_IMG_1699897520667.jpg
Wow, I had zero clue that was a thing!
rayc

Post by rayc »

I think it's 80% on the way to being the lost Hawkwind song. More bottom end needed ...I was listening to Cpt Lockheed & the Starfighters yesterday so may have been influenced by that.
I sent my big monster Emperador bass to the luthier as it has a BIG neck bow so hopefully it'll come back playable agin - BIG boomy bottom end and, with Fender flats, just the right low mids. I've not recorded anything with it for years as it's always had a high action that was too much effort to deal with.
Cheers
rayc
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Cheers for the listens guys. I've done a bit more to it since that first day. When walking and humming the song in my head I could hear brass, so I've crudely attempted a little brass on it. A little organ and some other bits. Kept the bass the same for now, I managed to get a little more out of it with a better Amp sim.

Remixed with better bottom end, I think? Now time to write some lyrics. :coolstorybro:

Mr Clean Sound Cloud
rayc

Post by rayc »

You've definitely fixed the bassless bass issue - sounds solid. The horns aren't shabby and kick things up a notch. It's still potentially Hawkwind but now with brass.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I think the brass is a cool addition, but I'd recommend trying to get it recorded by actual players. It's very fake sounding right now.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

rayc wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:37 am You've definitely fixed the bassless bass issue - sounds solid. The horns aren't shabby and kick things up a notch. It's still potentially Hawkwind but now with brass.
Guess I'll have to dig out the Hawkwind LPs to get some inspiration for lyrics. :coolstorybro:
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:58 am I think the brass is a cool addition, but I'd recommend trying to get it recorded by actual players. It's very fake sounding right now.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I don't know anyone who could blow a balloon, let alone a brass section!

To be fair, apart from the Sax VST which does sound pretty good, the rest are from my keyboard. I'll be looking for better sounds than what I've currently got on there. I've never done anything like this before so it's a learning curve for me.

Mr Clean Sound Cloud
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

New mix added up top.

More work added to it today. Removed and replayed the brass with what I think are better sounding samples. (They're free but you gotta do.....etc) A little acoustic guitar here and there and some tambourine added along with some general housekeeping and automation.

Need to forget about the music for now and write the lyrics. I have ideas, just need to flesh them out and make it all work. May have to edit the track and make it a little longer, we'll see.

Mr Clean Sound Cloud
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

nice .... the guitar lick reminds me of 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' .... cool lick .... it'd sound great on a lectric 12.
Song rocks out and I like the mix pretty well .... ric copy sounds excellent to moi
:like:
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Thu May 23, 2024 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The better brass samples are an improvement.
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

Doing fine.
Nice dynamics.
Louisville KY
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

Mr Clean wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:36 pm 1979 Shaftesbury. :coolstorybro:

FB_IMG_1699897520667.jpg
Damn she is saweet