Roadie Guitar Tuner

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Roadie Guitar Tuner

Post by JD01 »

What you think of this:
https://www.roadietuner.com/
Looks great - not so much from an every day tuning point of view - but for changing strings it would be great!
You reckon there'd be any risk to the string or guitar from bringing them up to pitch that quickly?
Greg_L

Re: Roadie Guitar Tuner

Post by Greg_L »

So they combined two already-existing technologies - electric string winder and robot tuner - into one unit.

I guess I could see where a pro guitar tech that needs to be fast could use something like this. For a regular Joe, totally unnecessary.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm So they combined two already-existing technologies - electric string winder and robot tuner - into one unit.

I guess I could see where a pro guitar tech that needs to be fast could use something like this. For a regular Joe, totally unnecessary.
Pretty much - I fucking hate re-stringing my guitar so maybe a novelty device might be nice. Way to expensive for me to consider it as a novelty device though. If you're regularly re-stringing 5 guitars a fortnight on a tour or something then its probably handy. For a lazy git like me that can't be arsed to change them on my custom more than once a month then its obviously pointless.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Really, how much time does a home guitarist need to save with restringing? It only takes a few minutes, and you can do it when you couldn't play anyway. I often restring one or two guitars while watching TV. No big deal.

I just use one of those hand crank winder things.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm I just use one of those hand crank winder things.
I just use my hands - Its fine on my nice new guitars with good machine heads. I re-strung a 100 odd year old mandolin recently - it was fucking agony on the fingers. Tiny little circles of ivory that just couldn't get any torque on.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

I do use an Ernie Ball motorized string winder which IMHO is a great item for restringing.
The tuner thing is ok but I already have a tuner
I can't say it's a bad idea, just not one I need so (cue Dragon's Den voice) "I'm Out"
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If yall think restringing a guitar is a pain, yall need to give drum heads a try. Do a full set of tops and bottoms and tune them up. Restringing a guitar is a cock massage from a hot asian compared to drum heads.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm I often restring one or two guitars while watching TV. No big deal.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

On some days I will string and tune about 30 times. 5 guitars a fortnight is nothing. Most guitar rodies will restring before each gig as standard even though it aint needed.

I wouldn't have one of those if they gave it to me. It is a solution looking for a problem. I can string and tune in about 2-3 minutes on an average guitar if I need to. A regular peg head tuner costs about a fiver and I have one on my key ring and a few round my bench. I use them to get one note right the others I tune and temper by ear. Save your money and buy something useful that isnt redundant.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm Really, how much time does a home guitarist need to save with restringing? It only takes a few minutes, and you can do it when you couldn't play anyway. I often restring one or two guitars while watching TV. No big deal.

and you don't even need that with locking tuners ..... just pull it thru .. lock the tuner .... 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns later you're at pitch.
And if you're using NYXLs you give it a tug .... tune it again and you're done.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

here JD, i found you this too. May as well add it to your shopping list.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/n5gtluPTPq4[/BBvideo]
muttley

Post by muttley »

I think we need to stop right here.

We are getting suspiciously close to discussing Hurdy Gurdy's. Thats when I truly lose it...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Great. That's on the list just behind the theramin but above the bagpipes and we'll above this useless thing called "practice "
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:05 pm Great. That's on the list just behind the theramin but above the bagpipes and we'll above this useless thing called "practice "
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm Really, how much time does a home guitarist need to save with restringing? It only takes a few minutes, and you can do it when you couldn't play anyway. I often restring one or two guitars while watching TV. No big deal.

Yep - this. It's a job for when I'm not doing anything else... sport on TV is a great time to restring guitars. And I have a plastic crank winder somewhere which, if I can find it easily, I'll use, but if not, no biggie. Good time to give the beast a general wipe over as well...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Armistice wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Yep - this. It's a job for when I'm not doing anything else... sport on TV is a great time to restring guitars. And I have a plastic crank winder somewhere which, if I can find it easily, I'll use, but if not, no biggie. Good time to give the beast a general wipe over as well...
I bet you can string a guitar in the time it takes Renshaw to walk to the wicket and back again... I can but I guess I'll have to tune it pretty quick with Steve snith batting number 3 these days... It should be done by the time Marsh takes guard... about 5 minutes total..:)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

muttley wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 pm I bet you can string a guitar in the time it takes Renshaw to walk to the wicket and back again... I can but I guess I'll have to tune it pretty quick with Steve snith batting number 3 these days... It should be done by the time Marsh takes guard... about 5 minutes total..:)
I'm hoping there's a 50 year ban on anyone called "Marsh" appearing in the Australian cricket team - serial underperformers both of them - and everyone except the selectors know it. :headwall:
Roman

Post by Roman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm
Yeah, maybe so. But then again a pro tech can do it just as fast, do it in the dark, do it in his sleep.....etc. :biggrin: :cool:

I know for myself, having strung up thousands and thousands of guitars over the years, I could. I've even developed this skill with a hand winder to get the low E to pitch just by the feel of the tension. Muscle memory I guess.

Not knocking it, gadgets are cool. :not worthy: